Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pocket

My Accutane Journey (17/female/110lbs)

Hi Courtney!

So, since you work in a hair salon, I'm pretty sure you told me that.. do you think the keratin treatment would be good for my hair? Im afraid the hot iron with the chemicals would be a bad choice. I think they may have improved the treatments since I last did it. My hair is looking a bit drab these days. My hair is naturally curly/wavy.

Sounds like your still doing great, sorry about your cold. Its so uncomfortable on accutune. I know first hand. Cold Eze... helps me alot.

Yes. I work at a Paul Mitchell Focus Salon so i'm only familiar with their treatments. I highly reccomend the Keratin Treatmend offered by them. This treatment isn't like the ones where they burn the product into the hair with a flat iron. The only heat you use during this treatment is being put under a dryer for 10 minutes and if you want to get your hair styled afterward. This treatmend works for ALL hair types. I love how it makes African American womens hair look! I will put a link to a video i found of a person doing the treatment. This isn't the salon i work at but it will show you how this treatment works. I would just find where a local Paul Mitchell Focus Salon is in your area or a salon that offeres that brand. Thank you. I hope i get better soon! My nose is like a raw piece of meat on the inside lol. Good luck <3

Link to video-

That treatment sounds amazing!!!!!! I just found a salon that will do it, and it only costs $30... which sounds too good to be true. And she said it lasts 6 weeks, and can be repeated. I'm so happy! Thanks Courtney!

That treatment sounds amazing!!!!!! I just found a salon that will do it, and it only costs $30... which sounds too good to be true. And she said it lasts 6 weeks, and can be repeated. I'm so happy! Thanks Courtney!

We charge that too x] I'm so glad that you've found a place! You're welcome :D Let me know how it turns out. Good luck! <3

WEEK 9

Yesterday was my Derm Appt and everything went good. I will be staying at 40 mg. My Derm said that going up to 60mg wasn't needed because i'm doing well at 40mg. He then gave me the same speech everytime i go there about staying out of the sun. I know! lol. My nose is so dry/raw inside. I'm still not over being sick and it's been forever. I blew my nose so much that it would bleed a little sometimes. Ugh! My mood is changing. I'm still happy but i find myself getting so irritated and frustrated over the littlest things. I snapped at my mom the other day about putting to much salt in the shortbread cookies. Wtf? I immediately caught myself and apologized. Not loving that side effect! Enough of this bad news...I'm graduating on Wednesday! WOOHOO! No more HighSchool haha. This summer is going to be so enjoyable. I get to wear a bikini and not have to look in the mirror 100 times to make sure there are no spots on my back/chest. I'll wear sunscreen of course! I think i'll be the only pale one in my family. Being part Italian amongst other things makes us brown very easily >.< Does anyone have some good reccomendations for spray on Spf? I saw a commercial for one that stays on your skin even if you get in the pool etc. I hope you are all doing well and i'm sorry for the late update.

PICTURES! I look like a zombie. This was 3 days ago. I was NOT feeling well at all >.<

http://tinypic.com/r/28sy6qe/7

http://tinypic.com/r/2gy2dg6/7

I'm part italian too, actually mostly italian, and accutane is still making my face red quickly if I forget the sunscreen. I can actually still be in the sun for a little while, and tan very easily, without my body skin burning. I would not recommend doing this though, I just happen to forget my arms or legs on occasion, especially when going for a run.

I honestly think that ethnicity contributes to skin problems. I know it may be a stereotype but i think people with itlalian/mediterrean decent have oiler complexions.

Glad your still doing well! I really wish my skin would have responded as fast.

Edited by pinkstarlett

I'm part italian too, actually mostly italian, and accutane is still making my face red quickly if I forget the sunscreen. I can actually still be in the sun for a little while, and tan very easily, without my body skin burning. I would not recommend doing this though, I just happen to forget my arms or legs on occasion, especially when going for a run.

I honestly think that ethnicity contributes to skin problems. I know it may be a stereotype but i think people with itlalian/mediterrean decent have oiler complexions.

Glad your still doing well! I really wish my skin would have responded as fast.

I agree! My skin was SO oily before Accutane. It's not oily now but it's not dessert dry either. I'm going to the beach today so i'm going to have to be extra careful! Thank you. I hope you're doing well too :]

Your skin looks great!

Hi! Thank you :]

WEEK 11

Hi everyone! I feel SO much better. I have so many updates. I graduated on June 1st and recieved 3 awards and some scholarship money. I couldn't be happier and it was very unexpected. My skin is getting darker no matter how much spf i put on and chlorine water sucks! High School is over and it's kind of sad. I'm so excited for what's to come though! My parents bought me a laptop for a graduation gift which was so nice of them. This week has been wonderful. I had gotten a huge bump on my temple last night but it was gone this morning 0_o. I stopped using my Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation. It's way to much coverage now and since my skin is dry now, it will enhance ANY dry spot i have. Now i use my trusty Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer and for once IT'S ENOUGH. I can't believe it. A tinted moisturizer is enough coverage! I wore it for graduation and for graduation portraits. So far, so good.

<3

Pictures:

These are the most closeup skin pictures i could find for now.

http://tinypic.com/r/66lwep/7

http://tinypic.com/r/2dalg5v/7

Congratulation Courtney! What wonderful news...graduating high school, and looking so gorgeous. It's hard to believe you ever had to worry about your face.

I did try the keratin treatment and it was gorgeous the first time i styled it, but it didn't last. I wonder if it's because I'm on accutane....maybe it didn't take...or maybe she didn't leave it in long enough. She didn't comb it through like in the video. Oh well. My hair looks pretty curlylately so I've been leaving it natural.

What do u recommend for the forearm rashes?

Have a wonderful summer!

Congratulation Courtney! What wonderful news...graduating high school, and looking so gorgeous. It's hard to believe you ever had to worry about your face.

I did try the keratin treatment and it was gorgeous the first time i styled it, but it didn't last. I wonder if it's because I'm on accutane....maybe it didn't take...or maybe she didn't leave it in long enough. She didn't comb it through like in the video. Oh well. My hair looks pretty curlylately so I've been leaving it natural.

Have a wonderful summer!

Thank you so much. She might of done it wrong but who knows "/ I've been wearing my hair natural as well. It's way to much of a hassle to do anything with it lol. I haven't been updating because this week I've been getting baddddd headaches. I highly reccomend cortisone 10 for eczema. It works like a charm. :)

I've been getting bad headaches as well and in general am just not feeling well, especially at night. Can't wait to be done with this med. in a month! I think it's because we have so much of the med in our systems now?

Have a wonderful summer!

Thank you so much :] I'm so glad to be out of school! I know, it's crazy how fast my skin changed. I'm hoping my blackheads go away very soon. I only get a tiny pimple around my period but it's gone within a day or two.

I'm wondering if the salon did the treatment wrong. It should last a long time because we've had no problems so far. I HATE doing my hair lol. I have long curly/wavy hair and after i blow dry i'm worn out.

I HIGHLY reccomend Cortizone 10 Intensive Healing Lotion ECZEMA. It's in a red tube. I've had eczema all of my life so i know what helps a lot. Have you ever considered taking an oatmeal bath? My mom made me take one once a week as a kid but now i do it every other week. Aveeno makes a good one or you can just put a cup of oatmeal flakes in a tub of warm water. If you decide on getting the Cortisone for Eczema, put it in the fridge! Ahhhh, a hot itchy rash feels 10x better after you put cold cream on it :P

Good luck <3

WEEK 13

My allergies have been insane lately. I don't mean to gross anyone out but the inside of my nose will be coated with dry bloody snot. UGH! My skin has also been very dry but i think i'm doing a pretty good job with keeping it moisturized. I'm waiting for my blackheads to go away on my nose completely. I have a few on my cheeks but i'm trying to leave them alone. I popped my knee out of place and tomorrow i'm getting xrays. My joints hurt as it is and oh my god...it's horrible. Haha, bad two weeks. My next appointment is on the 22nd. Pretty early but i don't mind. I'll have maybe 3 or 4 extra pills when i get my new box. Maybe my derm will increase my dose to 60mg? Who knows. I'll update again :] I hope everyone is doing well!

Pic:

http://tinypic.com/r/118f24m/7

HAPPY. Acne free summer <3

UPDATE

My dose has been increased to 60 mg. I have to take 40mg in the morning and 20mg at dinner time.

Edited by Pocket

Courtney...you look so pretty! What makeup do you have on in your picture? I love the lipstick and blush...and I want your dress! Lol.

Good luck with your upped dose. I stopped taking the 80mg because I developed a strange rash. The 40 is working well for me. My skin is soooooooooooo clear. I dont even recognize myself.. I think I'll be done after month 5 . I'll have extra pills too, I'll just take them at the end.

I'm enjoying my summer too. I'm even looking forward to camping in august, and I won't need make up! Accutane rocks!

Courtney...you look so pretty! What makeup do you have on in your picture? I love the lipstick and blush...and I want your dress! Lol.

Good luck with your upped dose. I stopped taking the 80mg because I developed a strange rash. The 40 is working well for me. My skin is soooooooooooo clear. I dont even recognize myself.. I think I'll be done after month 5 . I'll have extra pills too, I'll just take them at the end.

I'm enjoying my summer too. I'm even looking forward to camping in august, and I won't need make up! Accutane rocks!

Thank you so much <3 I only wore chapstick and Benefits coralista blush! I got my dress at PacSun and last time i was there, it was still in stock :] 60mg really made a difference. I'm starting to get little dry patches on my arms and have to moisturize more often. I'm so happy to hear that you're skin looks great! I'm hoping to stop before September. Camping is so much fun! Good luck with everything and Happy 4th of July!

Your skin is amazing, I'm glad it worked for you! :D

Thank you so much. I really appreciate that :]

WEEK 15

Since being on 60mg my skin has been clear still but so much more dry. I'm getting tiny dry patches on my arms and my Eczema is so much worse. I have to carry my eczema cream with me everywhere which is annoying. I still get a little blood in my tissue if i blow my nose but nothing at all severe. I hope to be done with Accutane by my 18th birthday in September! All of these little dry patches whatever else i've gotten has been worth the freedom that comes with having clear skin. My stress has gone down while my confidence has gone up. It feels great. I honestly feel beautiful again :]

http://tinypic.com/r/2hz4wf9/7

I have no foundation on. Just mascara and chapstick.

Dude.............. how oily was your skin before treatment? did i ask you this already if I did im sorry!

My skin was very oily. I had to wash my hair everyday and blot my face all of the time. Now i can put oil in my hair without it looking greasy, not wash my hair for a few days, and i don't have to set my foundation with powder. I'm able to save soooo much time getting ready. I'm so thankful for Accutane. If you did, it's okay! I don't mind lol :]

Wow your skin has responded wonderfully to the treatment. Congratulations ;)

Thank you!

What kind of tinted moisturizer do you use? I want to start wearing that instead of pressed powder. I'm just afraid to try new moisturizers, scared that i'll start to break-out again, haha.

What kind of tinted moisturizer do you use? I want to start wearing that instead of pressed powder. I'm just afraid to try new moisturizers, scared that i'll start to break-out again, haha.

Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer. They have an oil-free version and one with oil. I use the Oil-free in the color Bisque for a reference. It's $42 but it's worth it. I haven't found a better one!

MONTH 4

Four months flew by! I couldn't be happier with my skin. I get little tiny pimples around my period but are gone within a day or two. I feel so free. It's nice that i can use the body washes with yummy scents without worrying about getting a breakout on my chest. I can use makeup i wouldn't dare put on my skin before. Oh! I can also take bubble baths with fragrance included. I'm taking full advantage. Starting school in September is going to be a whole new chapter in my life as an adult and having clear skin is a great start. I hope anyone that suffered as long as i have with acne can feel what i'm feeling now. All of you have been such an inspiration and very supportive. Thank you so much!

<3