Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pocket

My Accutane Journey (17/female/110lbs)

DAY 1

It's one in the morning and today is the day! I will be picking up my Accutane in a matter of hours. Ipledge was acting up online and it wouldn't allow me to answer my questions. They said it would be fixed in the morning and my riteaid is holding onto my medicine till it is. Ipledge is making this such a pain. My doctor is starting me off on 40 mg every morning with breakfast (he said taking it with food insures the medicine being absorbed practically 100%). He also said that my skin should be looking a lot better than it is now by my prom in May. That put such a wave of relief over me. I asked him if i would be on it for 6 months and he said most likely 5, but if my skin is where he wants it to be then he will stop at 4! I'm so happy. I will update later on today with pictures. Thank you everyone for helping me through this <3

These are all from today before i take my first pill:

post-146065-1301070788_thumb.png

Products:

Dr. Dans Cortibalm for my lips. This stuff is amazing. I suggest you check it out on Amazon. A lot of people on Accutane swear by it.

Mario Badescu Cucumber Makeup Remover Cream. I'm in love. It is super moisturizing and gets the job done!

Mario Badescu Cleansing Milk with Carnation and Rice Oil. I use this morning and night. It left my skin feeling like i didn't need to put on moisturizer.

Mario Badescu Hydro Emollient Cream. I use this morning and night. Intensely moisturizing right now but i'm sure once i go on Accutane it will be much needed.

Mario Badescu Olive Eye Cream. Super hydrating!

Mario Badescu Rose Hips Nourishing Oil. I haven't used this yet. I am going to use it for emergency dry skin.

Mario Badescu normalizing mask with cotton milk. I haven't used this yet. It's suppose to intensely hydrate your skin.

Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser for my body wash.

Aveeno cream in a tub for my body.

Neutrogena Pure and Free Liquid SPF.

post-146065-1301070788_thumb.png

Edited by Pocket

That's great news! Your dermatologist told you very similar information as mine... 4 or 5 months at 40 mg. Im glad he said you'll be better by prom, I think so too, this medicine starts working right away. I think the main challenge on this medicine is to know that your skin is fragile, and to be careful with picking and products.

I went to ulta they didn't have the olive oil eye cream, I really need that, I'll have to get it online. I love my obagi eye cream but its $80, and between paying for my accutane and dr visits, my husband is going to leave me if I don't cut out somewhere...lol. The olive oil body cream is wonderful...and the pink drying lotion is awesome because I just dot it on, and I walk around the house, it looks way better than the blemish. I like the jojoba oil a lot too, and my dear John cream from benefit is working very well for me,non irritating.

Hurry up and pop that pill!!

I'm happy for you. I remmeber the week before getting my prescription. I was too much excited that I couldn't sleep and had a lot of nightmares! most of it regarding my girls and horrible things happend to them. I don't know what is the relation but it really was weired and freaked nightmares and thanks GOD it went away when I started taking the pills and found that it is not a monster like they described it.

I was using Doxicycline also for one month b4 taking accutane and I asked my derm and he told me we can continue with both if u want but I said no because I already had bad side effecs on it. every single point in my body was aching and I was sooooooooo tiered and sleepy and at night bcz I would stay at least 2 hours on the bed flipping from side to side bcz of pain!

Anyway congrat and I wish that is the first step towards your very clear skin. be positive and tell urself always that it is a mtter of time..after just few months u'll be CLEAR!

have a nice day

That's great news! Your dermatologist told you very similar information as mine... 4 or 5 months at 40 mg. Im glad he said you'll be better by prom, I think so too, this medicine starts working right away. I think the main challenge on this medicine is to know that your skin is fragile, and to be careful with picking and products.

I went to ulta they didn't have the olive oil eye cream, I really need that, I'll have to get it online. I love my obagi eye cream but its $80, and between paying for my accutane and dr visits, my husband is going to leave me if I don't cut out somewhere...lol. The olive oil body cream is wonderful...and the pink drying lotion is awesome because I just dot it on, and I walk around the house, it looks way better than the blemish. I like the jojoba oil a lot too, and my dear John cream from benefit is working very well for me,non irritating.

Hurry up and pop that pill!!

Thank you i'm so excited! Oh my, it's going to be hard not picking. If i see something i instantly destroy it even though it causes scars blah blah blah. I think you will love the olive eye cream. It's so moisturizing. I have oily skin so using all of these products have been strange. I will have to look into the olive oil body cream. My Aveeno has cooling agents in it because i have eczema but that might be too irritating in the long run. Benefit = love! hehe. <3

I'm happy for you. I remmeber the week before getting my prescription. I was too much excited that I couldn't sleep and had a lot of nightmares! most of it regarding my girls and horrible things happend to them. I don't know what is the relation but it really was weired and freaked nightmares and thanks GOD it went away when I started taking the pills and found that it is not a monster like they described it.

I was using Doxicycline also for one month b4 taking accutane and I asked my derm and he told me we can continue with both if u want but I said no because I already had bad side effecs on it. every single point in my body was aching and I was sooooooooo tiered and sleepy and at night bcz I would stay at least 2 hours on the bed flipping from side to side bcz of pain!

Anyway congrat and I wish that is the first step towards your very clear skin. be positive and tell urself always that it is a mtter of time..after just few months u'll be CLEAR!

have a nice day

Thank you :] I'll be picking it up in an hour and will be taking it with my dinner. Doxycycline was a nightmare! My doctor told me i couldn't take both so that's sort of strange. Doxy gave me the worse stomach aches and nausea. So glad to be off of it. Woot! Good luck <3 Courtney

Hi pocket!

I'm glad you took your pill with dinner, I was going to tell you its been nice to take it later in the day, because if your anything like me, eating in the morning with a pill is never fun.

You did a great job with your pictures! Even with no makeup you are so gorgeous. You're just a very pretty girl. Your skin is the kind that when you put makeup on, you can't probably tell you have redness because your texture looks good. I can't wait to see your results, and your prom pics. My las Vegas trip will be my prom...lol. Good luck, and I hope your lips stay good....you have full pretty ones like mine, and now mine are all peeling. Aquaphor seems to be the only thing that I can use. Such a bummer.

Omg...I know exactly how you feel...before I got on accutane, I felt like I was already on it, because I looked so horrible. I Felt like I was experiencing the ib. Maybe it's the stress and anticipation. Courtney your going love accutane...I feel like my body has been waiting for this forever. I got a few big cysts that went away in a day, and I'm not feeling any symptoms yet. I did hot yoga tonight, and jazzercise this morning, so clearly, it's not making me tired. I keep my lotion in the shower, and slather iron when I'm wet, it's easy. Oh, and I'm a big fan of the coconut water,a beauty drink. My nose is dry, but who cares. Hang in there girlie.

Thank you for your support. I feel a lot better :] Your progress sounds amazing! I love coconut water so i'm glad to hear that you do too. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's only a few more days. I'm so ready for this. <3

I saw that coconut water at the shop and it was expensive! Maybe I can just mix normal water and coconut juice or milk or something :P Nah it's probably not the same taste. Anyway so excited for you Court! You're about to start OMG YAYYYY

You are purdy :)

Ciao!

Hi pocket!

I'm glad you took your pill with dinner, I was going to tell you its been nice to take it later in the day, because if your anything like me, eating in the morning with a pill is never fun.

You did a great job with your pictures! Even with no makeup you are so gorgeous. You're just a very pretty girl. Your skin is the kind that when you put makeup on, you can't probably tell you have redness because your texture looks good. I can't wait to see your results, and your prom pics. My las Vegas trip will be my prom...lol. Good luck, and I hope your lips stay good....you have full pretty ones like mine, and now mine are all peeling. Aquaphor seems to be the only thing that I can use. Such a bummer.

Taking it in the morning was awful today so for now on i will take it with dinner. I never ate breakfast, though i should, so it was hard having to change that. Thank you so much. I was so nervous about posting the pictures. Your comment made my day! I'm so stoked to post prom pictures and to see your vegas trip! Our skin is bound to look amazing. My lips are probably my favorite feature. I hope i can keep them from peeling as much as possible >.< yikes.

You must try the Mario Badescu Makeup Remover Cream! It works so well and your skin doesn't dry out at all. I just rubbed the cream around and then layed a warm cloth over my face for a couple secs then wiped away all of my makeup :] Easy peasy. <3

Omg...I know exactly how you feel...before I got on accutane, I felt like I was already on it, because I looked so horrible. I Felt like I was experiencing the ib. Maybe it's the stress and anticipation. Courtney your going love accutane...I feel like my body has been waiting for this forever. I got a few big cysts that went away in a day, and I'm not feeling any symptoms yet. I did hot yoga tonight, and jazzercise this morning, so clearly, it's not making me tired. I keep my lotion in the shower, and slather iron when I'm wet, it's easy. Oh, and I'm a big fan of the coconut water,a beauty drink. My nose is dry, but who cares. Hang in there girlie.

Thank you for your support. I feel a lot better :] Your progress sounds amazing! I love coconut water so i'm glad to hear that you do too. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's only a few more days. I'm so ready for this. <3

I saw that coconut water at the shop and it was expensive! Maybe I can just mix normal water and coconut juice or milk or something :P Nah it's probably not the same taste. Anyway so excited for you Court! You're about to start OMG YAYYYY

You are purdy :)

Ciao!

Your comment made me smile ^__^ Today is day 2! I go to a health food store not to far from my house and they sell them for 1$ each for a 17 fl oz box. I guess the price is different everywhere =/ Thank you! I'm just happy that i finally have accutane in my system. :] woot woot

Hi Courtney! How's it going? Any side effects yet? You looked beautiful in you pictures even with the acne! With accutane and the right make-up you'll def. be gorgeous prom night!

Hi Courtney! How's it going? Any side effects yet? You looked beautiful in you pictures even with the acne! With accutane and the right make-up you'll def. be gorgeous prom night!

I'm feeling really good :) My lips are a TINY bit drier but I could be imagining that. Other than that, everything has been the same. My doctor said my skin wont dry till maybe a week in. Thank you :) I really appreciate your comments! I'll update when i'm done with week one with pictures. Stay tuned :P

I'm feeling really good :) My lips are a TINY bit drier but I could be imagining that. Other than that, everything has been the same. My doctor said my skin wont dry till maybe a week in. Thank you :) I really appreciate your comments! I'll update when i'm done with week one with pictures. Stay tuned :P

That's exactly what happened to me. The first week and a half or so it got eally oily. Then at about week 2 it completely dried out along with my hair. The one positive is not having to wash hair as much!

That's exactly what happened to me. The first week and a half or so it got eally oily. Then at about week 2 it completely dried out along with my hair. The one positive is not having to wash hair as much!

Thats what i'm kind of excited for! It would be awesome to not wash my hair evvvveryday >__> I think i might like being a "normal to dry" skinned person when this is all over. Having oily skin is such a pain.

DAY 4

I didn't think i would update until i hit my one week mark but something weird happened last night. I was watching tv at night and i couldn't read some words on the screen properly. They were all blurred. I wear glasses because i'm near sited and i wear them when i'm watching tv, in class, driving, and reading. It was as if i wasn't wearing my glasses. It freaked me out. I'm not sure if it's the Accutane because it was only day 3 or that i was tired.

I also have a huge whitehead on my chin and on my right cheek. It's raised and inflamed. I touched it and it's very sore. My skin is a little drier but mostly on my cysts and my other breakouts. My lips are not chapped or cracking but they are SLIGHTLY drier than normal. Dr. Dans Cortibalm is amazing. I'm constantly applying it. It's the first thing i do in the morning. I keep one on the pillow next to me, in my bathroom, and in my purse. $10 on Amazing for 3! Get some :D

My 4 spots i have on my chest are drying up which is very new to me because no matter what i put on my chest in the past wasn't doing anything. Accutane is fast. I didn't think i would be experiencing even the slightest effects in only 4 days. I'm happy though. My mood hasn't changed. I feel like the Accutane has increased my happiness. Maybe not directly but knowing that i finally have it and it's going to do wonders makes me excited. I hope that doesn't change.

I will still update when i hit my one week mark with pictures. Thanks for the support <3

-Courtney

This drug does work right away, just like my Derm said. I also noticed some trouble focusing sometimes when I'm on my iPad. I'm sure it's the drynessnin the eyes. I haven't really needed to use my drops very much, so it's not bad at all. It's not your imagination, I'm sure everything is drying out on your face and chest...so exciting! And I doubt you'll care much about any new breakouts, because your use to it anyway and at least you know to just leave them.

I am starting to notice some hairloss, I'm not liking that. I think I'm going to try to get off the meds at 3 or 4 months, just in case the hairloss is a problem. I've read that in some cases it could be permanent. Also my ends are soooooo dry. I'm trying not to wash it until the weekend, and I'm trying not to use the curling iron.

Courtney...this is going to be a wild ride. Keep me updated girlie:)

This drug does work right away, just like my Derm said. I also noticed some trouble focusing sometimes when I'm on my iPad. I'm sure it's the drynessnin the eyes. I haven't really needed to use my drops very much, so it's not bad at all. It's not your imagination, I'm sure everything is drying out on your face and chest...so exciting! And I doubt you'll care much about any new breakouts, because your use to it anyway and at least you know to just leave them.

I am starting to notice some hairloss, I'm not liking that. I think I'm going to try to get off the meds at 3 or 4 months, just in case the hairloss is a problem. I've read that in some cases it could be permanent. Also my ends are soooooo dry. I'm trying not to wash it until the weekend, and I'm trying not to use the curling iron.

Courtney...this is going to be a wild ride. Keep me updated girlie:)

It's crazy! I now have two bumps under my jawline. So that's four new spots in a day. My vision is back to normal tonight but we will see. My eyes aren't dry at all but i did get some visine just incase. I'm glad that it's happening fast so i can heal sooner than later. I hope i don't lose any of my hair. I have been growing it out forever and would be devastated. Today in the shower i washed my hair with only conditioner and used cold water to seal the hair cuticle. My hair is still oily but i'm taking precaution. It's almost midnight where i'm at so day 5 here i come! :D <3

don't worry. the first side effect I faced since Day1 was Eyes burning and redness. so far it still goes and comes. If I used computer or read a book or didn't sleep well it happens again, otherwise it's ok. I'm using Visine before sleep but it seems that I should use it more. I'd prefere that u start using it from now because it will relieve you and the problem with accutane that the changes happen suddenly, now you are okay after an hour something happens! Really that is the case with me. I spend almost 2 weeks feeling that my face and hair are REALLY oily more than before accutane. even I wasn't moisturizing my face and suddenly I wake up feeling my face and lips are dry and not oily at all. It is still managable and it's ok as I am moistrizing and putting the chapstick.

I'm sure you'll be fine. :)

DAY 4

I didn't think i would update until i hit my one week mark but something weird happened last night. I was watching tv at night and i couldn't read some words on the screen properly. They were all blurred. I wear glasses because i'm near sited and i wear them when i'm watching tv, in class, driving, and reading. It was as if i wasn't wearing my glasses. It freaked me out. I'm not sure if it's the Accutane because it was only day 3 or that i was tired.

I also have a huge whitehead on my chin and on my right cheek. It's raised and inflamed. I touched it and it's very sore. My skin is a little drier but mostly on my cysts and my other breakouts. My lips are not chapped or cracking but they are SLIGHTLY drier than normal. Dr. Dans Cortibalm is amazing. I'm constantly applying it. It's the first thing i do in the morning. I keep one on the pillow next to me, in my bathroom, and in my purse. $10 on Amazing for 3! Get some :D

My 4 spots i have on my chest are drying up which is very new to me because no matter what i put on my chest in the past wasn't doing anything. Accutane is fast. I didn't think i would be experiencing even the slightest effects in only 4 days. I'm happy though. My mood hasn't changed. I feel like the Accutane has increased my happiness. Maybe not directly but knowing that i finally have it and it's going to do wonders makes me excited. I hope that doesn't change.

I will still update when i hit my one week mark with pictures. Thanks for the support <3

-Courtney

The blurriness has been happening to me to if i'm looking at the computer screen too long. I wear contacts, but it never happened before accutane. I agree that it's dry eyes.

DAY 6

My acne seems to look better and the inflammation has gone down so much. I don't think this will last though because it seems that everyones skin gets worse before it's better and it wouldn't make sense to me if it just got better. The skin on my chest and back was completely clear last night before i went to sleep but when i woke up this morning i had blackheads that i could see without really trying to look. Accutane is really pushing EVERYTHING out. The skin on my face is drier but the products i've been using have been lovely. My lips are tolerable and have barely changed but Dr. Dans Cortibalm may be the reason for that. Has anyone experienced a weird battery acid taste in their mouth since taking Accutane? I get it on and off. Strange. The blackheads on my nose and chin are more prominent so i think they will be getting pushed out more and more as the days go by. I could never get rid of my blackheads so that would be awesome! I have been getting tiny headaches everyday that go away within an hour and i slept FOREVER the other day. I felt so exhausted. Despite everything, i'm so happy that stuff is happening so fast! This means i can heal faster, possibly?

Tomorrow will be one week :] Pictures and update tomorrow.

ps; Claravis, why must you be so difficult to get out of your packaging? >.<

Courtney... Your ps. Is hilarious! I can never get the stupid pill out right, and everyday I swear I'm going to follow the directions and get it perfect...

I'm so glad your acne is drying up! I think for some people it does just get better. That definitely happened with me. I'm getting a few here in there, but nothing like before. And the drying for me is not even a crusty dry, just, my skin is very matte, and my lips are sooo much better.

I'm not sure what the battery taste is. I know when i do detox diets, I get a metal taste. And I had my first headache yesterday, that even advil didn't cure, not fun.

There was this chick on utube, I wish i had kept the address who talked about her experience on accutane when she was your age. She went on and on about how much she loved her skin, and I couldnt believe how gorgeous it was. That's going to be you making that video some day!

Can't wait to see your new pics!

DAY 6

My acne seems to look better and the inflammation has gone down so much. I don't think this will last though because it seems that everyones skin gets worse before it's better and it wouldn't make sense to me if it just got better. The skin on my chest and back was completely clear last night before i went to sleep but when i woke up this morning i had blackheads that i could see without really trying to look. Accutane is really pushing EVERYTHING out. The skin on my face is drier but the products i've been using have been lovely. My lips are tolerable and have barely changed but Dr. Dans Cortibalm may be the reason for that. Has anyone experienced a weird battery acid taste in their mouth since taking Accutane? I get it on and off. Strange. The blackheads on my nose and chin are more prominent so i think they will be getting pushed out more and more as the days go by. I could never get rid of my blackheads so that would be awesome! I have been getting tiny headaches everyday that go away within an hour and i slept FOREVER the other day. I felt so exhausted. Despite everything, i'm so happy that stuff is happening so fast! This means i can heal faster, possibly?

Tomorrow will be one week :] Pictures and update tomorrow.

ps; Claravis, why must you be so difficult to get out of your packaging? >.<

yeah, i found the first few weeks on accutane kinda tough....a sort of general 'inflamed' feeling about my skin...hang in there! It'll soon get better.

Courtney... Your ps. Is hilarious! I can never get the stupid pill out right, and everyday I swear I'm going to follow the directions and get it perfect...

I'm so glad your acne is drying up! I think for some people it does just get better. That definitely happened with me. I'm getting a few here in there, but nothing like before. And the drying for me is not even a crusty dry, just, my skin is very matte, and my lips are sooo much better.

I'm not sure what the battery taste is. I know when i do detox diets, I get a metal taste. And I had my first headache yesterday, that even advil didn't cure, not fun.

There was this chick on utube, I wish i had kept the address who talked about her experience on accutane when she was your age. She went on and on about how much she loved her skin, and I couldnt believe how gorgeous it was. That's going to be you making that video some day!

Can't wait to see your new pics!

I've destroyed the packaging LOL. My skin looks so good compared to day 1! It's just red and drier. I've gotten a couple pimples on my hairline but they aren't noticeable at all. I think i know who you're talking about because i'm such a Youtube addict. I love watching makeup gurus and accutane vlogs. I'm about to upload my Day 7 pictures/post now :D <3

DAY 7

My skin is looking great compared to day 1 so be sure to compare the pictures :D My lips feel normal today as long as i keep applying my balm. My skin is a little dry but not flaky or peeling. I have a few pimples on my hairline but you can't see them unless your like me analyzing my face. Blackheads are a lot more noticeable now but i'm excited for them to magically dissapear. I took these pictures right after my shower/applying my moisturizers so my skin is looking red and blotchy. It's not like that at all right now. Woot! I hope it keeps getting better. Fingers and toes crossed <3

By the way, ignore the weirdness on my eyebrows. I was in the process of dying them dark brown so it would look nice with my black hair.

post-146065-1301609884_thumb.png

post-146065-1301609884_thumb.png

Your skin looks amazing! You don't have any inflammation. Yeah! Im so happy for you. Mine is looking amazing too. I wear my hair in a big messy bun now everyday, not afraid to show my face. I got a back massage yesterday because I've been feeling achy. Not a good idea...I'm more sore now, and the towel against my face for an hour left a mark. I wish I could down load pics... Maybe I'll ask my kids to help.