Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pocket

My Accutane Journey (17/female/110lbs)

This was from my first blog post but i've decided that i need to switch it to the Accutane logs! >.< I'm new here so i'm finding my way through the site. Anyways...

Dermatology Appointment:

Hi c: My name is Courtney and i'm 17 years old. I'm a senior in highschool and will be starting esthetics Sept '11. Since suffering with acne for 6 years now i have a huge interest and passion for skin care and helping others with their skin woes. I have tried EVERYTHING. It's my mission to have clear skin and Accutane is finally being considered by my doctor and i. Today is the day that i have my consultation. I'm very nervous and excited at the same time. I will update this after my appointment. I hope whoever is reading this will follow my blog and find it helpful! <3

Some info about me and my skin:

Skin- My skin is very oily, sensitive, and obviously acne prone. I have melasma on the right side of my forehead so the sun is already my enemy. I have eczema but i take care of it very well. I have moderate to severe acne. It's mostly on my face but i also have body acne.

Skincare Regimen- My morning and night routine is the same. I wash my face with Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser and moisturize with Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion. Twice a week i will use Mario Badescus Healing and Soothing Mask.

Random info about me- I'm not sure if this will help knowing this stuff about me whilst on accutane but here we go.

Sex: Female

Height: 5'0ft

Weight: 110 pounds

Vision: Near sited

Allergies: I'm allergic to dogs and it sucks! I wanna puppy D:

Loves: My Boyfriend, Makeup, Skincare, Super Mario Bros!, FOOD, books, and YouTube

I thought some of things should be listed so some of you can see if Accutane changes the above information (except my age, sex, and height ).

Thanks for reading! Stay tuned for my update.

-Courtney <3

Edited by Pocket

Goodluck Pocket! I hope your appointment goes well and you hear the news you're hoping for! ;)

Thank you! <3-Courtney

UPDATE ON APPOINTMENT:

Okay so i go in and talk to my regular dermatologist along with his assistant about how frustrated i am and how much i want to go on Accutane :boohoo: . He takes a look at my skin and tells me the things i already know. He told me about how i need to go on birth control, i need to have blood taken, and talked about side effects. He also told me the story of Accutane. Anyways, i'm on my way to being on it! I'm so happy. He told me that i would be on it for 4-6 months. At the end of March is when i can start because i need to go on birth control and get my blood taken. I have to wait for the results to come in blah blah blah. So, after my consultation i took a urine pregnancy test, was given an iPledge book (they also registered me and now i'm waiting 10 days to get my account info in the mail), and said i should get my blood taken a couple days before my derm appt in March. I'm terrified of needles. I just have to suck it up.

Wow...this is really happening! It won't be long now till i take my first pill. I have high hopes that i'll be clear or almost clear by prom, graduation, summer vacation, and school in September.

Thanks everyone who has helped me with my decision to go on Accutane. This community is so helpful and inspiring.

<3 Courtney

Congrats on being on your way to accutane! You should get your perscription at your next appointment. The worst part was waiting for that month in between! It seemed like it lasted forever for me :lol:

Ugh i know! Hopefully time will fly so i can start already >.< I only wish i could of done this years ago! lol :P Today i signed all of my iPledge forms and i'm still waiting for my account info to come in the mail. When you answered the questions on iPledge, what were they like? Thanks! <3 -Courtney

UPDATE March 4th 2011:

My skin looks terrible. I'm on Doxycycline atm because my derm wants me to keep at it to maybe help with the IB when i start Accutane. It sounds insane but whatever. This stuff kills my stomach so if anyone is on it now i would suggest disregarding the "take on an empty stomach" label and eat with food!

Anways, i start Accutane on the 25th of March 2011. SO EXCITED :dance: I get my birth control on the 11th and my blood taken on the 23rd. I am very nervous about getting my blood taken. Ugh, i hate needles.

Here is what i will be using when i start Accutane (Note: I have very oily skin and all of these products are for EXTREME dry skin which i'm sure i will get)

Mario Badescus Cucumber Makeup Remover Cream

Mario Badescus Cleansing Milk with Carnation and Rice Oil

Mario Badescus Olive Eye Cream

Mario Badescus Hydro Emollient Cream

Mario Badescus Rose Hips Nourishing Oil

The Body Shop Shea Butter Body Butter

Cortibalm for lips

Rhinaris Lubricating Nasal Gel

Omega3 fatty acid fish oil gels

Could any of you ladies tell me what makeup you have used on Accutane or what you will be using when you start? Thanks! <3 - Courtney

UPDATE March 4th 2011:

My skin looks terrible. I'm on Doxycycline atm because my derm wants me to keep at it to maybe help with the IB when i start Accutane. It sounds insane but whatever. This stuff kills my stomach so if anyone is on it now i would suggest disregarding the "take on an empty stomach" label and eat with food!

Anways, i start Accutane on the 25th of March 2011. SO EXCITED :dance: I get my birth control on the 11th and my blood taken on the 23rd. I am very nervous about getting my blood taken. Ugh, i hate needles.

Here is what i will be using when i start Accutane (Note: I have very oily skin and all of these products are for EXTREME dry skin which i'm sure i will get)

Cortibalm for lips

Could any of you ladies tell me what makeup you have used on Accutane or what you will be using when you start? Thanks! <3 - Courtney

Good luck Court, just came here to check out your log. I can't find any of those Mario Bedescu products anywhere! I'll have to keep looking. I started my first set of pills last night, so happy the journey has begun!

Peace

UPDATE March 4th 2011:

Cortibalm for lips

Good luck Court, just came here to check out your log. I can't find any of those Mario Bedescu products anywhere! I'll have to keep looking. I started my first set of pills last night, so happy the journey has begun!

Peace

Thank you :] Congrats! I'm still waiting for mine to begin. I can't wait to stop taking doxycycline. It sucks. Mario Badescu products can either be found at Ulta (which i don't have one near me) or on their website! Just google Mario Badescu and it should be the first link. <3

UPDATE March 4th 2011:

Cortibalm for lips

Peace

Thank you :] Congrats! I'm still waiting for mine to begin. I can't wait to stop taking doxycycline. It sucks. Mario Badescu products can either be found at Ulta (which i don't have one near me) or on their website! Just google Mario Badescu and it should be the first link. <3

Oh ok thankyou, I just checked the website but I think their products are in America and I'm in Australia so not sure I can afford postage and all that, I have never seen those products available here.

I'm on my third day right now and nothing is happening haha but yeh don't expect anything until maybe a week and at least. I'm like mega obsessive about drinking water so I have kept well hydrated and am going to continue with that. I'm only on 20mg a day but maybe month two will get upped to 40mg.I'll see how I go.

Peace

Hey, congrats on starting up accutane. I just started.. im taking claravis 40mg once a day for now and depending on my progress/side effects, my doc may increase or decrease! I'm on my 4th day and nothing has happened so far. I know a few people who have switched over to Bare Escentuals mineral. They said it helps a lot with hiding the dry flakeyness of the skin, as compared to liquid foundation. I just recently started using bare minerals makeup and i love it... once the dryness occurs, I will let you know how its working. lots of luck to you!! By the way, I was on doxy prior to accutane and definitely take it with food. When I took it on an empty stomach, I vomited every single time :(

Congrats Pocket =)

I really hope and cheer for you to be clear until your prom :)

Regarding the pills and side effects i guess it will be just fine =)

I have several side effects besides the dry lips and face.. And im coping really well.

When you finish you will be very pleased.

Take Care!

UPDATE March 4th 2011:

Cortibalm for lips

Peace

Oh ok thankyou, I just checked the website but I think their products are in America and I'm in Australia so not sure I can afford postage and all that, I have never seen those products available here.

I'm on my third day right now and nothing is happening haha but yeh don't expect anything until maybe a week and at least. I'm like mega obsessive about drinking water so I have kept well hydrated and am going to continue with that. I'm only on 20mg a day but maybe month two will get upped to 40mg.I'll see how I go.

Peace

Crap >.< I'm wondering if you could check them out on Amazon. I'm not sure. I won't be expecting any unrealistic change any time soon after i start lol. I love water! haha i don't know why so many people dread drinking it. I've also started drinking Coconut Water by this Brand called VitaCoco. It tastes so good and really hydrates! I'm very curious how many mg's i'll be taking. I know My derm said probably 40mg but i'll find out. Today i have my BC appointment. Yikes, but i have to do it haha. Anyways, Congrats! You're so lucky to have started your journey :] Thank you for dropping by <3 -Courtney

Hey, congrats on starting up accutane. I just started.. im taking claravis 40mg once a day for now and depending on my progress/side effects, my doc may increase or decrease! I'm on my 4th day and nothing has happened so far. I know a few people who have switched over to Bare Escentuals mineral. They said it helps a lot with hiding the dry flakeyness of the skin, as compared to liquid foundation. I just recently started using bare minerals makeup and i love it... once the dryness occurs, I will let you know how its working. lots of luck to you!! By the way, I was on doxy prior to accutane and definitely take it with food. When I took it on an empty stomach, I vomited every single time :(

Thank you! Only 2 more weeks until i start. I'm so excited. I have heard so many good things about Bare Excentuals but was concerned about it not going well with the Accutane dryness people will experience. I'll for sure look into it next time i go into Sephora. Ugh yes! Doxycycline is so awful if you don't eat it with food. I can't believe the bottle says not to. I remember the first day i took it. I went to the movies and couldn't make it through 20 minutes. I had to run to the bathroom because i felt like i was going to pass out. My stomach hurt so bad >.< I will be following your journey! Thanks again <3 -Courtney

Congrats Pocket =)

I really hope and cheer for you to be clear until your prom :)

Regarding the pills and side effects i guess it will be just fine =)

I have several side effects besides the dry lips and face.. And im coping really well.

When you finish you will be very pleased.

Take Care!

Thank you so much :D I can't wait till i finish but i still have 2 weeks to go before i start. I know i will be very happy once i have the skin i've always wanted. I'm glad that you are coping with your side effects well :] It's going to be okay. Take care as well <3 Courtney

March 11th 2011:

Today i have my doctors appointment to get me my birth control. After that i can finally answer questions through the iPledge system. Only two more weeks and i can start my Accutane. Can i get a woot woot!? lol :] The Doxycycline is still doing no justice. It purged a lot of my acne out but i still get a new breakout everyday. Thank god for makeup! My chest is doing better but i refuse to wear a tank or dress. It hurts to wear a bra sometimes and i'm apologize if that is to much information. I'm such a baby when it comes to needles and i know i'll be getting blood work soon and many times after that. So, what do i do? Go on Youtube and look up people getting blood taken to try and make myself feel better. WORSE IDEA EVER. Lol sigh...i just have to get it over with. Skincare: Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion, and Mario Badescu Healing &Soothing Mask (2x a week). I've been drinking so much coconut water lately. It's so hydrating and makes me feel so good. I hope some of you try some :D.

Question: Is it okay to get your hair dyed whilst on Accutane?

Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. You have no idea how much it helps and encouraging it is for me! I wish everyone the best of luck. I appreciate you taking this journey with me. <3Courtney

March 11th 2011:

Today i have my doctors appointment to get me my birth control. After that i can finally answer questions through the iPledge system. Only two more weeks and i can start my Accutane. Can i get a woot woot!? lol :] The Doxycycline is still doing no justice. It purged a lot of my acne out but i still get a new breakout everyday. Thank god for makeup! My chest is doing better but i refuse to wear a tank or dress. It hurts to wear a bra sometimes and i'm apologize if that is to much information. I'm such a baby when it comes to needles and i know i'll be getting blood work soon and many times after that. So, what do i do? Go on Youtube and look up people getting blood taken to try and make myself feel better. WORSE IDEA EVER. Lol sigh...i just have to get it over with. Skincare: Cetaphil Gentle Cleanser, Cetaphil Moisturizing Lotion, and Mario Badescu Healing &Soothing Mask (2x a week). I've been drinking so much coconut water lately. It's so hydrating and makes me feel so good. I hope some of you try some :D.

Question: Is it okay to get your hair dyed whilst on Accutane?

Thank you all so much for your kind words and support. You have no idea how much it helps and encouraging it is for me! I wish everyone the best of luck. I appreciate you taking this journey with me. <3Courtney

I really hope it's ok to dye hair on accutane because I need to in a few weeks as well! I haven't heard you can't so i'm still planning on it. I usually dye my hair darker if that makes a difference.

The only issue I'm guessing with hair dying is extra dry hair. Good luck!

SKIN UPDATE MARCH 15th 2011:

I'm in the worst mood. I feel so ugly and i can't stand to look at myself. Why can't it be the 25th so i can start Accutane? My forehead is covered in little bumps and i have a cyst right on my hair line. I go in to brush my hair back into a ponytail to wash my face tonight before bed and oh my god...i wanted to cry. My right cheek has three cysts, chin has one cyst, and my left cheek has two right under my "undereye" area. Besides that i just have whiteheads. Sigh...i'm so upset that i might not be clear by May for my senior prom and graduation. I'm losing hope.

:[

ps; i hate you doxycycline!

Omg...I know exactly how you feel...before I got on accutane, I felt like I was already on it, because I looked so horrible. I Felt like I was experiencing the ib. Maybe it's the stress and anticipation. Courtney your going love accutane...I feel like my body has been waiting for this forever. I got a few big cysts that went away in a day, and I'm not feeling any symptoms yet. I did hot yoga tonight, and jazzercise this morning, so clearly, it's not making me tired. I keep my lotion in the shower, and slather iron when I'm wet, it's easy. Oh, and I'm a big fan of the coconut water,a beauty drink. My nose is dry, but who cares. Hang in there girlie.

Hi Courtney,

Not long to go now mate!! I, myself have been taking Roaccutane for the last month and a bit. It's great that you've decided to take this medication at the time you did. Hopefully you are clear for summer and the rest of highschool. I graduated last year and thankfully for my formal and breakup my skin was looking good.

I think it's tough on girls how you guys all have to go on birth control for a month beforehand! Anyway, remember to have fun! Although I only graduated last year, I miss the last two years of highschool because they were the best!

Wish you all the best on your journey mate! I know your gonna be fine ;)

Omg...I know exactly how you feel...before I got on accutane, I felt like I was already on it, because I looked so horrible. I Felt like I was experiencing the ib. Maybe it's the stress and anticipation. Courtney your going love accutane...I feel like my body has been waiting for this forever. I got a few big cysts that went away in a day, and I'm not feeling any symptoms yet. I did hot yoga tonight, and jazzercise this morning, so clearly, it's not making me tired. I keep my lotion in the shower, and slather iron when I'm wet, it's easy. Oh, and I'm a big fan of the coconut water,a beauty drink. My nose is dry, but who cares. Hang in there girlie.

Thank you for your support. I feel a lot better :] Your progress sounds amazing! I love coconut water so i'm glad to hear that you do too. I just have to keep reminding myself that it's only a few more days. I'm so ready for this. <3

Hi Courtney,

Not long to go now mate!! I, myself have been taking Roaccutane for the last month and a bit. It's great that you've decided to take this medication at the time you did. Hopefully you are clear for summer and the rest of highschool. I graduated last year and thankfully for my formal and breakup my skin was looking good.

I think it's tough on girls how you guys all have to go on birth control for a month beforehand! Anyway, remember to have fun! Although I only graduated last year, I miss the last two years of highschool because they were the best!

Wish you all the best on your journey mate! I know your gonna be fine ;)

Thank you so much! I can't wait to graduate. June 1st to be exact :D I feel a lot better. I'm so happy that this website is so supportive and understands what it feels like. I'm crossing all of my fingers and toes that i'm clear by my summer events :] Thanks again <3

Goooooooooo Courtney!

Die acne.

Is it really only 4 more days till i start Accutane?! The wait is killing me. I can't wait to stop taking my Doxycycline. It broke me out so bad but i'm sure it's nothing compared to what Accutane is going to do. Thing is, do any of you think that being on Doxycyline before taking Accutane helps the IB? I couldn't get my blood taken Friday because our AFB was doing a drill and wouldn't let anyone through the gate. So today is the day i'm getting it done. Ugh shoot me now. I HATE NEEDLES! D:

<3

Pictures coming soon! sigh...