Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Has anyone read this book/ tried this diet? It is basically a low glycemic index diet that you tweak based on your skin concern (acne, rashes, wrinkles, sun-damage). For acne you're supposed to avoid dairy, eggs, and iodine, but eat foods rich in zinc (red meat, lentils, beans, oysters) and omega-3s (cold-water fish, walnuts, almonds, flax). All advice I've heard before for acne, but I know I've heard a lot of advice and I haven't tried this all in tandem.

What if you are allergic to oysters, which is extremely common? Not to mention the iodine they contain.

What you want to do, in tandem, is eat real, whole nutrient dense foods in low to moderate GL meals/drinks/snacks consisting of more anti-inflammatory foods than inflammatory and that don't include anything you have an intolerance for.

I don't think iodine is that big a factor, but you can avoid it too if you want.

You also need to sleep well, be physically active, and manage stress.

Edited by alternativista

I haven't had dairy in almost 3 years now, but I don't have a problem with eating eggs. I DO think I have a problem with eating...TOMATOES!!! I'm seeing a naturopath, and she recommended not eating nightshades (tomatoes, eggplant, bell peppers white potatoes)

I actually am allergic to shellfish and was planning on using some of the other sources mentioned in the book. I have heard about avoiding nightshades for stuff like arthritis but I didn't know they were bad for acne! That sucks. I guess it would make sense though if they can inflame your joints I guess they can inflame your skin.