Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
blueyez

Need Advice on Accutane

30 year old male in great shape and I have always had acne just on my forehead and I want it gone. I have tried Doxy, Retin A, Plexion, Blue/Red light therapy/, Isolaz... etc... I have tried it all. I only have a few deep postules on my forehead and I'm thinking because of my age, 4 months on accutane should heal me for good. I have an overall good complexion but i'm tired of seeing 1,2,3 hard type marble feeling zits on my forehead..... I would like someone's take on this and what to expect from a guy's perspective.

thanks,

If you already know Accutane is effective but are asking our opinions, presumably you are worried about side effects. Which ones exactly?

30 year old male in great shape and I have always had acne just on my forehead and I want it gone. I have tried Doxy, Retin A, Plexion, Blue/Red light therapy/, Isolaz... etc... I have tried it all. I only have a few deep postules on my forehead and I'm thinking because of my age, 4 months on accutane should heal me for good. I have an overall good complexion but i'm tired of seeing 1,2,3 hard type marble feeling zits on my forehead..... I would like someone's take on this and what to expect from a guy's perspective.

thanks,

There is no such thing as "healed for good". No one can guarantee that your acne won't come back 6 months later.

Stop repeating that "miracle cure" fairytale.

thanks,

There is no such thing as "healed for good". No one can guarantee that your acne won't come back 6 months later.

Stop repeating that "miracle cure" fairytale.

In fact, there is such thing as "healed for good", if only describing people who naturally grow out of their acne. Furthermore, Accutane cures ~40% of peoples' acne forever (and even if it comes back, it is almost always less severe); this is a fact backed by numerous studies; I'm happy to provide references. VanceAstro was simply not one of the 40%.

Since the OP is 30 years old but still with acne, I'm wondering if he has had his hormones tested by an endocrinologist to see if there is underlying hyperandrogenism that may be contributing to his acne. Acne patients rarely get referred for endocrinological testing unless and until they have had several failed rounds of Accutane (suggesting a underlying hormonal imbalance), so if the OP wants to see an endocrinologist then he will have to be quite proactive.

If his hormones are deemed normal then there is a strong argument to try Accutane because although there is no guarantee that his acne won't return later, Accutane gives him the best chance of permanent remission (especially at age 30) with minimal or no safety risks.

Edited by jimmy188