Notifications
Clear all

Follicular Macular Atrophy AKA white bumps

MemberMember
(@gms228)

Posted : 02/22/2011 7:02 pm

I've only noticed these start to appear in the last few months, but they have done so in large number. For whatever reason, this is like the least researched part of all of acne. The general consensus seems to be that there is a lack of elastin in the skin in which this appears, causing the skin not to lie flat and become the bump we see. Whether there is any actual scar tissue I have never been able to determine, though they are always referred to as scars. Additionally, some sources say they can actually heal and fade away, although many sites say they can last anywhere from a month to forever. (WTF?) Anyway, my question is can anyone who has this give any feedback on the condition, whether you had it and it healed, maybe still have it and it never got any better, or anything you did to improve it? This is probably the scariest thing in my life right now because I have it all over my shoulders and back and I'm freaking out. It also seems to be relatively uncommon. If we could start a discussion maybe we can find some answers and all learn more about it.

MemberMember
(@gms228)

Posted : 02/23/2011 11:23 pm

Update: After doing some reading in dermatology journals, it looks like you can only get follicular macular atrophy after an extended period of acne. This means that you won't know if you're predisposed to this type of scarring right away, and it also fits with the anecdotes of people saying it suddenly appeared after a while. I for one never scarred from bacne, but now it seems like every pimple leaves behind a white bump. Additionally, it is indeed due to a lack of elastin surrounding the hair follicle where the pimple was present. Over time, this elastin can be repaired which causes a flattening of the skin, but I'm wondering whether it ever really returns to its original state. If anyone has any info or experience with FMA, please share. Consolidating this sort of info might lead to useful knowledge on the condition.

MemberMember
(@gms228)

Posted : 05/14/2011 1:19 am

Bump

MemberMember
(@sean-j)

Posted : 05/14/2011 11:46 pm

Bump

How big are the bumps you have? I believe I have the same thing on my chest/back but I've always called them hypertrophic or raised scars.

MemberMember
(@gms228)

Posted : 05/15/2011 10:06 am

They vary in size from a large grain of sand to an uncooked lentil and are white with a small dot in the middle on some, maybe where the hair follicle once came out. Additionally they are almost painless to needle like regular scar tissue.

MemberMember
(@gms228)

Posted : 05/26/2011 5:48 pm

Does no one else have this?

MemberMember
(@ladyapple19)

Posted : 05/31/2011 12:30 pm

I have it too. On back and chest. It sucks. ):

Have you cleared your acne? I'd like to know how since we probably have somethings in common..

I've been almost clear using Clindoxyl for about 2 months but I don't like to use it anymore.

I'd like a more natural way. Right now I'm trying apple cider vinegar, drinking it with water and applying it on the skin.

MemberMember
(@gms228)

Posted : 06/01/2011 9:01 am

Doxycycline 100mg a day seems to be effective for the clearing of acne.

MemberMember
(@gms228)

Posted : 06/01/2011 9:03 am

I don't know of a more natural way unfortunately. I am on doxycycline as well as differin which is a weak retinol that improves cell turnover rate and keeps pores from clogging.

MemberMember
(@reillz)

Posted : 07/14/2012 12:06 am

been a while since anyone posted, but would like to just mention my experience with this. recently I had a bout of acne on my chest (which is almost cleared up now) but left these stupid white bumps. I got them before on my shoulders a couple years back -- they seemed to stay forever but they are now gone and I haven't seen a reccurrence for a long time -- so heres to hoping that they are only temporary (even if a year or so). It does appear that they did clear up on their own in that case..

MemberMember
(@idontknow23)

Posted : 08/17/2012 6:50 am

any update?

MemberMember
(@stresseddd)

Posted : 09/03/2020 10:04 pm

I'd love an update

I just figured out today that this is what I have, all over my chest, shoulders and back. freaking out, feeling very discouraged by the lack of literature on this form of scarring, and the lack of people online I've found who have this

If there's anything that worked for anyone, I would really appreciate to hear about it :))