Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xgirl

Trying to kick adult acne in the a$$

After posting my blog post (which I will paste in below), I realized that I have no interest in blogging, LOL, and pretty much deserted it. I think I'd have better accountability at not picking and being good to my skin if it's daily/weekly/whatever thoughts quickly jotted down than via a blog post. So, here goes. This was my first post from Feb 3rd:

I'm so not a blogger, but I wanted to keep track of what works/doesn't work in my fight to beat adult acne. I'm a 35yo female who has had acne of various severities for the past 20 years. I'm SO over it!

Most people at acne.org would probably categorize my acne as mild to moderate. I have the majority on my neck and jawline, with an occasional pimple on my cheeks and forehead. I used to have BAD back acne, but ever since I got a tattoo on one of my shoulders last June I have been clear there for the most part. I don't know why this is-- maybe just because I keep my hands OFF now that there is such a pretty tattoo there? I don't know, but I'll take it. My back was my dirty little secret for years and I never wore dresses or tank tops in summer (and it's HOT in summer where I live). I hope it stays this way and that I can experience my first care-free summer since I was 15.

I am a picker. If there is a bump, I must poke, scrape, pinch, squeeze at it. I am very slowly overcoming this OCD day by day by sheer determination to get past this and to allow myself to have nice skin. If I didn't pick/touch, I think my skin would be 50% clearer, leaving me with mild hormonal acne that I could deal with.

So, I have been barely picking (I'm not perfect) for the past 2 weeks. And this is my current regimen and vitamin intake (aka overload). Status 2 weeks ago: really broken out and red marks all over my jawline and neck. Status today: 85% clear and red marks left over from the last break out. I will post photos in a bit.

Current regimen:

AM:

Clarisonic Mia +Dessert Essence tea trea/chamomile face wash on face, neck and back

apply aloe vera gel w/ niacinamide mixed in (I tried to make it 4%)

apply SPF15 moisturizer w/ niacinamide mixed in (ditto)

PM:

same washing technique, face only

apply same aloe vera gel

apply Alpha Hydrox AHA lotion

every other day, apply Green Cream (I've only been doing this for a week)

on red marks I've been applying Alpha Hydrox Spot Light lotion

Diet: I eat a varied diet and am a huge fan of bread/cheese/meat. I know if I cut all that out I'd be clearer, but I'm not sure I can commit to that right now. I drink 1-2 giant cups of green tea per day.

Vitamins:

currently taking 2 Acnescript pills/day (skipped taking 4 and only do 2 a day)

Vitamin D3, 5000iu

B5 Complex (100mg each of B1, B2, Niacin, B5, B6, B12, Biotin, Choline Bitartrate, Inositol, PABA; 400 mg folic acid)

Vitamin E, 400iu

Chromium picolinate, 200mcg

Vit C (with calcium for absorption), 3000mg

niacinamide, 500mg

Vit A, 10,000 iu

no-flush niacin, 500mg

Goji Berry extract, 1200mg

2 Acnescript pills contain:

Organic Turmeric (900mg)

Vitamin B5 (500mg)

Organic Deodorized Garlic (200mg)

Organic Burdock (100mg)

Organic Black Pepper (100mg)

1,3 1,6 Beta Glucans (60mg)

Vitamin B6 (50mg)

Zinc L-Aspartate (30mg)

So, once I run out of the sample, I will be using the below regimen instead-- I've bought everything from Vitacost already and it will be cheaper than the $35/mo that Acnescript charges. For $100 I have in some vitamins' cases a one year supply. Some will need to be replenished sooner, but it's still much cheaper. I skipped the beta glucans, too expensive:

Tumeric Extract/Curcumin Complex: 1160mg (has black pepper in it)

Zinc: 50mg

Odorless garlic: 500mg

Burdock root: 475mg (hope this isn't too much...)

Vitamin D3, 5000iu

B5 Complex Vit B5, 500mg (so 600mg/day total)

Vitamin E, 400iu

Chromium picolinate, 200mcg

Vit C (with calcium for absorption), 3000mg

niacinamide, 500mg

Vit A, 10,000 iu

no-flush niacin, 500mg

Goji Berry extract, 1200mg

I wonder how many calories I am consuming with all those little gelcaps I'm ingesting every day, LOL!

Eventually I hope to chill out on taking all this stuff. My goal is to get the picking under control. AKA, DO.NOT.PICK. and then I can see if I still break out at all. I don't want to be a crazy pill swallowing OCDer, but I do want to finally have clear skin.

OK, posting this now. This blog is for myself to remember everything-- sorry if I am boring anyone

Edited by xgirl

Alright, and here is my current update and regimen:

changes in regimen:

started using Himalaya USA's "Neem and Tumeric" face wash. The Desert Essence one was too drying. I really like the new one!

I JUST, like, last night, started using Biomedic's Conditioning Solution. It's basically a toner w/ glycolic and salycilic acid. The reviews at dermstore.com were amazing, so I thought I'd try it in an effort to kill my scarring and pigmentation issues.

I did my first peel last week. It was a salicylic acid 20 % peel and it definitely burned a bit, but not too badly. I could only do two minutes. I turned into a lobster, but then later that night had to rally and go to a last-minute concert. So, I slathered on some make-up and it wasn't that obvious. That was on Thursday. I peeled like crazy around my mouth and chin that weekend, but now I'm back to normal. I kinda want to do another one this week, but I have my daughter's (she's 4! sniff) birthday party this weekend. Maybe I should wait until another weekend when I have no plans to see other people ;)

vitamins-wise, I don't think I've changed anything other than adding ACV pills. I bought the Bragg's ACV in hopes to both drink it and use it as a toner, but I just can't deal. The smell is too strong and walking around smelling like a salad made me want to hurl. And swallowing it nearly DID make me hurl. So, ACV pills it is, LOL!

Skin status: almost clear! I need to upload a new pic. This morning, as usual, I got up at 6:45 to take my older daughter to school. Normally I slap on a hat to cover my crazy Edward Scissorhands hair, then head to cover up my acne with some conceiler. I don't want my partner nor other mothers at drop-off to see my gross new zits and old red marks. But today, I just looked in the mirror and thought "huh.... I'm ready to go as-is". That is HUGE for me. Then of course I took some pics (in the car, LOL) and my skin doesn't look as good as it did in the dimly lil bathroom. Still though, this is a huge improvement!

My picking OCD is under control for the most part. I have triggers (STRESS!!) that will put me on a picking rampage, but it's been at least a week since I've done that. I am so proud of myself!

Make-up-wise I had a big breakthrough with yesterday. Normally I need to slather on my MAC Studio Fix foundation, which is pretty heavy and can cover a good amount of imperfections. Yesterday though, I tried out Origins' vitazing for the first time. It's basically a light tinted moisturizer. Then I put some powder on top and called it a day. No heavy conceiler on spots, no heavy foundation. I looked "OK" and wasn't nitpicking every time I walked past a mirror. And let's face it, I'm obsessed about my skin, so I don't just "walk" past a mirror. I seek them out everywhere. So, yeah, that's big for me.

If anyone wants to come and talk with me in here, please do! But if no one does, that's ok too. I'm finding that writing it all down helps me figure out what works and what doesn't. More updates soon!

oh, and it was pointed out to me that acnescript is half what I thought in costs, so I guess I will use up everything I've bought and then maybe will go back on acnescript.

I do think it works though!

here are the pics from today (no make-up). That red spot was because I picked. It would be nothing had I left it alone!

feb22side

feb22neck

Now on to the hyperpigmentation and actually KEEPING clear. This is something I have not been able to do for more than a month or so at a time in the past 20 years.

I'm having a decent skin day. One new pimple on my neck that I stupidly scratched and picked at. I got it out, but now there's a red mark. Duh!

Jury isn't in on the Origins vitazing. I think it's too tinted and making me look too tan. I have not been in the sun in months, so it doesn't look quite right for the place I live... hmmm.... but, at least it hasn't made me break out and I don't have to wear my heavy MAC foundation every day to feel confident about going out.

Clarisonic Mia is still the best invention ever. The Neem/Tumeric cleanser and biomedic toner are a good duo. I still think I'm using too many products though. Between aloe vera w/ niacinamide, AHA lotion, green cream, regular moisturizer, face wash and biomedic toner, it seems like overkill!

Vitamins are still going well. Have had no negative side effects from the multitude of pills that I pop every day.

I wish I knew which "thing" made me clear. Whether it's a certain vitamin (AcneScript) or the Clarisonic, or not touching, or what... It would be helpful so I can ease up on some of these things and be a little lazier. But, for now I will not stop anything because not having acne feels SO.DAMN.GOOD!!!

Glad to see you're keeping a log! Looks like your skin is healing up great! I almost only hear good things about the clarisonic, so I'd keep that. Once you're clear, I'd start cutting down on the vitamins and just keep acnescript and other things that you feel are beneficial to your health, like the goji berry, turmeric/curcumin, and vitamin d3. And if you're using an AHA, retinol, and clarisonic, you can certainly go without some! I'd go as far as to say that you don't even need the AHA and retinol with the clarisonic, but the AHA once in a while would be nice just for that extra boost. Plus you do peels and that toner has salicylic and glycolic in it, so really there's a lot you might not necessarily need lol! Just cut out whatever you feel you don't need and experiment from there :D

Thanks Tim-- yeah, it's feeling like overkill. Tonite I did wash w/Mia, then biomedic toner, then green cream. I don't even know if all those products work together or if they cancel each other out.

Can't tellmif I'm making typos cuz that motherf%#^*ing YouTube link won't go away on my ipad. Wtf is Achievement Horse.

Edited by xgirl

One new zit yesterday by my ear. Popped it (sorry, I had to)... Not too bad looking

Ran out of acnescript, so today I start the supplements I have that were in acnescript-- turmeric + garlic + zinc + burdock root + B5 + B6. Pepper is in the curcumin and skipping the beta glucans. Too pricey-- hope it doesn't make a big difference. still taking ACV pills + A, C, D3, E, chromium, fish oil, niacinamide. I hope it works cuz acnescript did work but I have everything on hand now so I need to use it. The only difference will be that I'm not taking it morning and night. I'm kinda just taking the same milligram amounts in one day. We'll see.. I will take acnescript for the rest of my life if it means being 90% clear like I have been.

Hyperpigmentation hasn't been too bad but I look like hell in photos. Gonna do another peel next weekend.

Started drinking green smoothies last night (thanks Tim) and I doubt it will affect my skin since for me it's hormonal. But the goodies and chlorophyll will do me good anyway.

That's it for today!

Guest Bloody Corpse Deamonn duh

hey xgirl! u sure use bunch of stuff there but hey u rly look clear n everything, cool! :> but hey u use 5000 iu of vit D? is that rly ok? i use 2000 iu, but i wonder maybe i could increase it too? :think: do u think vit D anyhow aided to your improvment? :/

maybe try cutting out something 1 of your regimen at a time n if it anyhow affects yo skin then u will know u cant do without that thing?

hey demon-- I got the D3 at Costco, it was the only dosage they had. I thought it was standard, but I see now that it's kinda high. But it's supposedly in safe levels according to research I've done online.

You could try upping it if you want. I don't know how much of an impact D3 had on my skin since I take so dang much stuff! LOL

we get crazy amounts of vitamin D when we go in the sun, I forget the amounts, but 5000 once a day with 24 hours in between should be fine. I take 4000 a day split over 12 hours. It has a lot of anti cancer benefits, so it's definitely worth keeping in terms of all the benefits it has.

Here's a really nifty website you might like :D

http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/play...il-supplements/

Still doing ok acne-wise. No negative effects yet from switching to acnescript's ingredients separately rather than taking acnescript directly. Had a zit near my ear and I picked it and nave some small ones under my jawline that I must keep my hands off of. I did another peel last night and this time it barely burnt. Hopefully that means I won't have gnarly peeling again like last time. Had a busy birthday weekend (my daughter turned 4), so I didn't have as much time to hydrate or eat well. We shall see if my face freaks out this week.

Kids are down for a nap, hallelujah!!

hey xgirl, cool that your acne gets better or so it seems from what u say at least (howz no-picking btw?) but u use aha? or what kind of peels? :/ how long do u use it n how often?

Deamon-- I use a 20% Salicylic Acid peel that I got from Amazon. Do a search-- it has stellar reviews! You can use it every 2-3 days. I've done it 3 times in the past 2 weeks. Supposedly after 6 treatments you will start seeing results. It was only $18... worth a shot, right?

I just used it again. My face looks weird now, but it should be better after I peel a little bit. I'm hoping it helps with the little zits that sprouted recently and with hyperpigmentation.

Broke out a bit on my back, which always freaks me out. My back is a slippery slope. I tend to touch, pick, and create a giant mess that lasts 6 months out of every year. I can't even remember the last time that I wore shirts and dressed that show my back in the summer. Was hoping this would be the first one. Must.not.pick and get control!

My face has a few places I'm mad at. Zit on my temple, couple on my jawline, one on my nasal labial fold. Yick, what the heck?

Hope the acid peel kicks all that in the arse!

well hopefully it will work for u xgirl!! :> idk if it will be like too much of a help tho :/ bcz ykno internal causes yadda yadda..thats y howz your diet going anywayz?

anyhow speaking of peel stuffs, i wanna try out soon those copper peptides for skin sterenghtening n mandelic acid for peel, have u ever tried any of those? alot of ppl (including in this site) hype about those alot n there r mostly positive comments about them, when about salycic acid there r various opinions tho :T

how long does face stay red after 1 peel btw? u apply overnight? or do u only apply zis on back? :/

I have a pretty varied diet, but my acne isn't much affected by what I eat or don't eat. Nor by what I apply topically. It seems to be hormonal for me.

I haven't tried mandelic or copper peptides. Maybe I'll try that next. Right now I have so many products I'm trying and I've spent a good bit of $ on them, so I will stick to this and if I fail I'll try something new when all this stuff runs out.

The peel only stays on for 8 min tops. After that it neutralizes itself and is useless. I did it for 8 min last night and am still a bit red and splotchy today. I should be dandy by tomorrow though.

well r u rly suure about that? :/ afterall hormons can be affected by diet too etc. but idk anything about hormons tho tbh.

u apply anything (moisturiser, jojoba?) on top of it after those 8 mins? and how often u use it (every, every other day?)?

n i probz already said that but hey u have rly good skin :> i actually wish i had skin like yours, all the way :nod:

I've been good (mostly) at leaving my face alone. Still getting pimples here and there (forehead and jawline and neck-- dammit). So I guess I only "clear" for like a day. Still, my face looks dramatically better today than it did 2 months ago. I'm just annoyed cuz at my age I shouldn't be dealing with this nonsense anymore!

No big changes to my regimen. Still using the biomedical toner twice a day and moisturizer varies. Today I did AHA lotion and then my SPF15 make-up. Wish I could find a tinted moisturizer that didn't turn me orange :/ Still taking a ridiculous amount of vitamins and hoping to ditch that soon-- I'm finding it gives me heartburn sometimes cuz sometimes they get stuck in my throat.

Just feeling a bit ho-hum about my skin I guess...

deamon-- the acid peel makes my face look really weird-- splotchy and red and then for 2-3 days I peel skin. So right now I'm probably going to do it once a week, if that. The downtime of looking weird is a good 4 days. I don't wanna look weird 4 out of 7 days. But I do want clear skin... Sigh.

I tried something new last night-- Queen Helene Mint Julep mask. My face looked SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO good this morning, could that be the reason why? Of course, within a few min of bloodflow, my weird discolorations came right back. Still, my skin is VERY smooth today!

I made my own Vitamin C serum today:

1/4 teaspoon of L-absorbic acid powder crystals

1.5 teaspoons of distilled water

1/2 teaspoon of vegetable glycerine

Got that recipe from makeupalley.com-- people there have amazing results with VitC serums. And instead of paying $30-100 for a teeny tiny amount that probably isn't stable anyway (VitC tends to oxidize very rapidly), I paid $20 for enough materials for probably 10 years. If this works out, I will be stoked!

My first application made me totally sting and turn red. Will update soon about how this does for my skin!

well but skin under/after those peels looks better than previously right? anyhow whole thing sounds rly -ouchh dont wanna- tbh :T

& since all the aha n peel stuff at all is so opposite to fe no washing n doing anything regimen, that makes u wonder which of them is more true n rly heals skin? like which is it? to peel off dead or top layer of skin or just completely leave skin alone? @[email protected]

interesting about that mask n vit c serum thing, have heard about them before too, but maybe start with even less ascorbic stuff at first to let skin adjust n so? :think:

I had a crazy dream last night that my doc prescribed me accutane. And even tho I barely have any acne right now, I took it. And was so nervous about what would happen to my body. Weird.

well, I haven't picked today... cuz I had nothing to pick! :dance:

well, if I really wanted to, I could find something. But apparently my OCD is sleeping today

even though I'm relatively clear (still plenty of non-inflamed bumps), my face doesn't look too great. I am REALLY oily today and splotchy. I really need to attack my hyperpigmentation soon... I took some pics and they were BLECK. Maybe I will share pics tomorrow, if I don't look like I've been standing over a vat of french fries all day.

not so happy with my skin today. the discoloration is crazy. the VitC serum is so sticky-- there's no way I can go out in public with it during the day. I look like a greasepit, even though it's not oil. It's more like glue. I hope it works. I am SO bad at letting new things work. I want instant gratification, you know? So being sticky and shiny just makes me cranky.

Here are pics from today. As you can see, STICKY skin. The hyperpigmentation and uneven/bumpy skin kinda has me down today. I know that I just need to put on make-up and I'll feel a lot better, but it would just be so nice to be able to go out without it. And the blood vessels at the side of my nose? Yeah... great.... I'm old.

March9_1

march9_2

I was REALLY good yesterday (and today too) with no picking, but that zit on my neck finally met its demise. I was good and left it til it was REALLY ready to come out. But of course now I have a red mark, like you can see in the pic.

meh....