Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lwfjsjpsvjs

only water on face: best solution?

So I've had acne and oily skin for a few years and have tried many cleansers/exfoliators/moiturisers etc etc

I often feel something's working but then the acne comes back, sometimes worse than before. I've only recently learnt that using harsh cleansers can overdry the skin, making the skin over-compensate and produce more oil and that harsh cleansers can also irritate the skin and cause acne.

So I've started to think that perhaps I've been destroying my skin by using so many different things. I love the idea of simply using water on my face so I'd like to know if anyone else has experimented and found this to work?

I'm worried that bacteria will build up and produce more acne if I only use water and that my skin might react badly to lack of moisturiser after washing (I truly believe I've messed my skin up :( )

Sorry for the rambling but any help would be much appreciated! :D

Exactly, I think all of these products are causing the problems.

Might give it a go and just see what happens. The worst that can happen is my skin breaks out...again, right?

I've had plenty of experience with that before

:/

Have you used glycolic cleansers? 5 or 10%?

I've never heard of them

I did a quick search on this website and there doesn't appear to be much said about them :eh:

Could you tell me more about them/personal experience?

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I never had acne until I actually implemented a skincare routine. I first broke out from tweezing my eyebrows when I was 14, and then used those oxy pad things, but even then it wasn't really acne.

I'm doing water-only, although I use a washcloth. I tried just splashing with water, but my skin sheds dead skin cells quite quickly, and within a week it would be quite gross. I now just wipe my face nightly with a washcloth, once or twice. I make sure not to wring it out too much, else it will be too rough.

Honestly, bacteria is not as bad as we make it out to be. We have both good AND bad bacteria, and it's clearly there for a reason (also within our bodies). A lot of people who do this do eventually clear up, if not entirely then quite a bit. Hell, I touch my face all the time now and it doesn't create new break outs. The only time it does is if I have something greasy on my hands or if I pick.

A quick list of things I've experienced using a water-only regimen:

1) Dryness and tightness. A lot of this was due to HOW I washed with water, but also just had to do with my skin adjusting to being washed and not moisturized. It is now barely tight.

2) Flaking. Still have some, but it's finally diminishing quite a bit. Mostly was on healing/new pimples and scars.

3) Dead skin, only when I was not using my washcloth. But I used to exfoliate twice a day, so that might be why. If you do not exfoliate currently, you likely won't have as much issue with this as I did.

4) Oiliness. It got worse before it got better, although part of that was my no-poo experiment as well (not shampooing). Got better within a few weeks.

5) I continue to break out. BUT, they are smaller, and I don't seem to be getting as many finally.

6) My overall redness has lessened. My skin tone looks more similar to my body now, although I've had redness my whole life so I am still a bit flushed at all times.

There are probably other things I experienced, but that's what I remember. I say you might as well try it. If you try it with a washcloth, use a clean one each time, wring it out only about half way, and just WIPE the skin. Pretend you are wiping an infant's face basically, very gentle. One of my mistakes was that when I was using the washcloth in a more vigorous way, it made my scarring brighter, made my pimples rougher and sore, and broke me out a lot. Especially on my neck for some reason. But wiping doesn't do this at all.

Everyone experiences different results though, so I can't guarantee what it will do for your skin. But if you think that most of your acne issues are due to irritation, dryness, or ingredients clogging your pores, then definitely try a water-only approach. I wash every night.

Thanks, this definitely gives me the confidence to try it :)

I have a few questions though:

What do you do for your face in the morning?

I always shower in the morning rather than evening so it would be difficult to shower without wetting my face :/

How do you take your make up off at the end of the day if you only use water?

If you don't exfoliate like you used to, won't your skin texture become...rough? And pores become enlarged?

And finally, how long did you start to notice your skin improving?

Thanks for the help!

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Guest Timehealsall
1) I shower at night, so I can't help you much there. But you could simply shower with your face away from the showerhead if you'd rather only rinse your face once a day. Then just pat off any sprays that get on your face.

2) I don't wear makeup :P I need it, but I'm not wearing it. But if your makeup is light enough, a washcloth would probably suffice - just rinse thoroughly, then use a washcloth to wipe away any remaining makeup.

3) I do exfoliate like i used to, hence the washcloth. Right now I'm still broken out, although not really BREAKING out. Anways, the texture is still rough for that reason, and my skin is still adjusting, so I can't say yet how water-only will affect my texture.

4) because I've switched it around a lot, I'd see results and then set backs randomly. But I guess it takes a few weeks to see any real noticeable changes. My skin's a lot better off than it was 2 weeks ago or so, but this takes time. Of course some will adjust to it faster, and others likely won't jump around regimens like I did! But if I didn't have red marks, I'd look soooo much clearer already. So I'd say give it at least 2 weeks to see some changes once you find your ideal method of cleansing with just water.

what do you mean "ideal method of cleansing with water?" Dont you just splash the water on your face?

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape