Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dotty1

Anyone familiar with acne related to hypothyroidism?

Since I can remember, doctors have labeled my skin problems as "acne." I had accepted this conclusion although my acne seemed somehow worse than the "usual" acne everyone else has.

But over the years, some friends have commented that my acne doesn't look like normal "acne" but something else.

Within two days of not taking my skin supplements (zinc, vitamin A, etc.), my facial skin becomes so dry that it begins to peel like a sunburn. The skin on my lips crack and peel. My nose, cheeks and forehead begin to resemble the dessert earth when it cracks into a million small pieces from lack of moisture. Within hours, this dead skin begins to fall off like a snake shedding its skin. It has done this since puberty. I call it "dandruff of the face." At the same time, all the pores fill up with sebum and become clogged and infections begin to erupt (very large) by day 3.

My doctor believes I have hypothyroidism and I've read one symptom can be "extremely dry skin." Another description is "dry coarse skin." Another site says, "The skin may be rough, dry and flaky and show evidence of acne."

They say it will be about 8 weeks before my medication for hypothyroidism kicks in :confused:.

So is anyone familiar with the dry skin of hypothyroidism or acne caused by hypothyroidism?

Edited by Dotty1

I guess youll just have to wait on your meds... Have they tested you?

Edited by joris

My doctor gave me blood tests but also allowed me to begin treatment since the test results will take 8 weeks. I had all the symptoms of hypothryoidism except for weight gain.

I found another description about hypothyroidism that gives me hope:

"Intense dry skin is one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism that is often misdiagnosed. This type of dry, scaly skin does not respond to typical lotions, creams and ointments. Thyroid-induced dry skin is one of the symptoms that seems to clear up the fastest as the sufferer's thyroid hormone levels are optimized with supplementary thyroid hormone treatment."

I really hope this medication helps my skin. :pray:

Edited by Dotty1

So this '4-hour body' author appeared on Dr. Oz and one of his recommendations is to binge eat once a week saying an occasional boost in calories boosts thyroid production or something like that. You know how in depth explanations ever are on Oz. Not.

While I doubt that binge eating is ever a good thing, you might look into what an occasional increase in calories does.

I posted some more about it in the exercise thread: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=3027561

Guest Bloody Corpse Deamonn duh

whoa such happenings right away just bcz of few days without your reg supps? harsh :confused:

personally idk if i have this, but ive been thinking so before, bcz my body just functions so rly laggy slooowass way no matter what i eat or do that idk but sometimes think its bcz of sluggish thyroid or something. like fe if my body was pc it would be having cpu no more than 200mhz, ram of 200mb and rly lamey ancient video card ofc :dozing: im not going to get diagnosed this tho >_>

^ anyhow about what alternativista said there, i thought about this myself once too, what if eating something bad like cake fe? once in a while would kinda waken up system to make it go like: omgomg wtf all of a sudden, what do i do now, now i gotta work rly hard now to get this digested etc so it kinda awakens n starts working all it can, but if ur like being on smooth flow with perfect diet like aall the time, it gets used to everything n kinda gets lazy? :confused: sooo..maybe having fe piece of rlyy baad cake once in a time would be actually even good? x3

i wonder how that medicine will work for u dotty, if u rly have this, then could it be this actually will get rid of all your skin problems forever? :T what kind of medicine is it?

whoa such happenings right away just bcz of few days without your reg supps? harsh :confused:

personally idk if i have this, but ive been thinking so before, bcz my body just functions so rly laggy slooowass way no matter what i eat or do that idk but sometimes think its bcz of sluggish thyroid or something. like fe if my body was pc it would be having cpu no more than 200mhz, ram of 200mb and rly lamey ancient video card ofc :dozing: im not going to get diagnosed this tho >_>

^ anyhow about what alternativista said there, i thought about this myself once too, what if eating something bad like cake fe? once in a while would kinda waken up system to make it go like: omgomg wtf all of a sudden, what do i do now, now i gotta work rly hard now to get this digested etc so it kinda awakens n starts working all it can, but if ur like being on smooth flow with perfect diet like aall the time, it gets used to everything n kinda gets lazy? :confused: sooo..maybe having fe piece of rlyy baad cake once in a time would be actually even good? x3

i wonder how that medicine will work for u dotty, if u rly have this, then could it be this actually will get rid of all your skin problems forever? :T what kind of medicine is it?

My 'endocrinologist" is an MD, ND (medical doctor AND naturopath). He did not put me on the typical thyroid medication prescribed to the majority of patients. He put me on ...ahem... non-vegetarian porcine thyroid. He said he has studied hypothyroidism for 40 years and even ten years before medical school. His office had a LIBRARY of every book ever written about hypothyroidism... and he had read them.

So he put me on a hypo-allergenic multivitamin, 2 drops of Lugol's iodine a day, 1 pill of Metagenics' Adreset to help support the adrenals... and most importantly the porcine thyroid replacement (usually I would never take this since I don't want to eat an animal... but I just can't live any longer sleeping 20ish hours a day).

I have seen porcine thyroid pills sold in health food stores. He said that no matter what the blood tests say, if I feel better on the thyroid pills then I should take them. He told me I would know when I should stop increasing my dosage because I'll feel the effects of hyper-thyroid (feeling too hot, fast heart beat, anxiousness, nervousness). Also, look into Nature-throid. It might be available without prescription.

Edited by Dotty1

Hi Dotty, you may have a mix of low adrenal, low thyroid symptoms:

http://www.drrind.com/therapies/metabolic-symptoms-matrix

Have you checked your body temperature before and after waking up in the morning?

http://www.drbate.com/Ref/thyroid.html

Oh thank you, Fab! I love the website for the adrenals vs. thyroid. Love it. My doctor came to the same conclusion you did.

Yes, I did do the temperature test. The only problem is I AM SO COLD that I sleep in a fleece body suit, a sleeping bag, plenty of covers and I leave the the oven door open and cranked on 300 degrees so I can stay warm at night. I can only sleep in room temperature without all of my "gear" to stay warm for 5 minutes before I begin to shake uncontrollably. So I can't accurately take a temperature test with my "artificial warmth environment."

I have always been like that. I used to turn blue and lock up in swimming pools as a child. And, yes, I have told doctors about this before but they really don't have much to say about it.

Edited by Dotty1

Hi Dotty,

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism at age 25 but has acne since puberty. (My symptoms were depression, lack of energy and being cold - no weight issues)

I never noticed any difference on my skin when I started Thyroxine.

My skin has always been on the oily side.

Since cleaning up my diet and taking supplements, my thyroid seems to be doing better and I have lowered my dose because I started sweating at night. (I know my levels are too high when I get night sweats and my period gets very short)

My skin never changes with my thyroid levels, but the new diet and supplement have my skin much less oily.

PS: It is not good in the long term to take too much Thyroid meds because it also regulates the rate at which bone breaks down and build up - if this happens too fast you can get osteoporosis.

(But this is over long periods - so just make sure you test once a year at least)

Hi Dotty,

I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism at age 25 but has acne since puberty. (My symptoms were depression, lack of energy and being cold - no weight issues)

I never noticed any difference on my skin when I started Thyroxine.

My skin has always been on the oily side.

Since cleaning up my diet and taking supplements, my thyroid seems to be doing better and I have lowered my dose because I started sweating at night. (I know my levels are too high when I get night sweats and my period gets very short)

My skin never changes with my thyroid levels, but the new diet and supplement have my skin much less oily.

PS: It is not good in the long term to take too much Thyroid meds because it also regulates the rate at which bone breaks down and build up - if this happens too fast you can get osteoporosis.

(But this is over long periods - so just make sure you test once a year at least)

Thank you for the information! I will certainly be careful about taking too much thyroid medication in the long term and will watch my levels.

Frequently hypothyroidism is linked to gluten sensitivity (which is also commonly found as the cause of acne). Have you ever tried a gluten-free diet or had yourself tested for gluten sensitivity?

Edited by Dotty1

Frequently hypothyroidism is linked to gluten sensitivity (which is also commonly found as the cause of acne). Have you ever tried a gluten-free diet or had yourself tested for gluten sensitivity?

I am currently on a gluten-free diet (also dairy free, sugar free and many other things free)

I definitely think the gluten makes a big difference for me, but I have never heard of hypothyroidism being linked to gluten. - It's very possible but I don't know. - I'll read up about it.

My hypothyroidism is auto-immune (Hashimoto's) and started after a period of massive stress.

Since I started Thyroxine, it's never bothered me much.

Edited by Me+dots

My nan is hypo and my aunt is hyper so I guess I have a higher genetic chance of having it. I get a sunburn like feeling and look on my face, mainly after eating a lot of food. Its on my nose area and forehead worse, the skin just kinda crumbles off. When I moisturised it, not much happens, it seems the flakes just remain there. I'm also very cold most of the time - every time I shake someone's hand I always have the coldest hand :evil:

I'm following bees healing plan at the moment. Haven't eaten any gluten for about a week. Avoiding most dairy except butter and sometimes cream. I have been taking kelp for the iodine as well. I hope this new diet will get me clear, its really hard avoiding bananas and lovely fruits. At one point I was eating up to 8 bananas a day :rolleyes: My diet at the moment mainly consists of raw egg yolks, cooked eggs, coconut oil, nuts, meat, vegetables, increased sea salt intake and a small about of berries.

I think zinc, vitamin A and iodine all play an important role in your thyroid. I read one study about large doses of iodine improving insulin resistance. I need to work on getting my sleep schedule in-line, having colder showers and exercise more/sit at computer less.

Do you have red bumps on the back of your arms?

Edited by maybe oneday

I think zinc, vitamin A and iodine all play an important role in your thyroid.

Your adrenals affect your thyroid, so add stress, sleep and anything good for you adrenal function. You can find more in the Good Things link below in my signature.

whoa your sleeping is rly crazy dotty! :o has it allways been like that? at what time do u go to sleep? do u fall asleep only as soon as u get warm? do u wake up tired or fresh or how? is it bcz u have that celiac disease or something? :o sry im rly wondering :T

I am currently on a gluten-free diet (also dairy free, sugar free and many other things free)

I definitely think the gluten makes a big difference for me, but I have never heard of hypothyroidism being linked to gluten. - It's very possible but I don't know. - I'll read up about it.

My hypothyroidism is auto-immune (Hashimoto's) and started after a period of massive stress.

Since I started Thyroxine, it's never bothered me much.

It sounds like you might have Celiac Disease.

Celiac Disease causes the body to "turn against itself" and causes over 55 different auto-immune diseases, one of them being hypothyroidism -- I believe Hashimoto's in particular.

Although I had unnoticeable symptoms of Celiac Disease my entire life, it became a full blown disease when I went through an EXTREMELY stressful time in my life too. That was when hypothyroidism was "activated" too because I began sleeping all day long. Celiac Disease is commonly activated in stressful events -- such as a big car wreck, giving birth, a stressful time, etc.

Since it sounds like you have Celiac Disease -- you might find that you had small symptoms of the disease your entire life. For example, canker sores are a classic symptom and I have delt with those since about 9 years old. Later (a few years ago) I developed symptoms of pre-diabetes( even though my diet was healthy) waking up at night with a dry mouth and craving water and not being able to function if I didn't eat. I was diagnosed with "hypoglycemia" even though they couldn't find any indicators of it in blood tests. All of these symptoms went away when I became gluten free.

Here are the 300 symptoms of Celiac Disease:

http://glutenfreeworks.com/gluten-disorder.../symptom-guide/

If you have it, then there is a VERY high chance that your close family members have it.

My nan is hypo and my aunt is hyper so I guess I have a higher genetic chance of having it. I get a sunburn like feeling and look on my face, mainly after eating a lot of food. Its on my nose area and forehead worse, the skin just kinda crumbles off. When I moisturised it, not much happens, it seems the flakes just remain there. I'm also very cold most of the time - every time I shake someone's hand I always have the coldest hand :evil:

I'm following bees healing plan at the moment. Haven't eaten any gluten for about a week. Avoiding most dairy except butter and sometimes cream. I have been taking kelp for the iodine as well. I hope this new diet will get me clear, its really hard avoiding bananas and lovely fruits. At one point I was eating up to 8 bananas a day :rolleyes: My diet at the moment mainly consists of raw egg yolks, cooked eggs, coconut oil, nuts, meat, vegetables, increased sea salt intake and a small about of berries.

I think zinc, vitamin A and iodine all play an important role in your thyroid. I read one study about large doses of iodine improving insulin resistance. I need to work on getting my sleep schedule in-line, having colder showers and exercise more/sit at computer less.

Do you have red bumps on the back of your arms?

No, I don't have red bumps on the backs of my arms. Are they acne bumps or just little red bumps? I have read that can is related to a vitamin deficiency.

If thyroid problems run in your family, there must be an underlying cause.

You might want to try getting a gluten sensitivity test from www.EnteroLab.com for $99.

It is the most accurate test currently available.

whoa your sleeping is rly crazy dotty! :o has it allways been like that? at what time do u go to sleep? do u fall asleep only as soon as u get warm? do u wake up tired or fresh or how? is it bcz u have that celiac disease or something? :o sry im rly wondering :T

Since the stressful event in my life, I have been sleeping roughtly 20ish hours a day. If it was a really bad day (and there were many months of those), I would sleep 23 hours a day --- and have just enough time to go to the bathroom. But I couldn't cook for myself, some days I couldn't even drink water or eat food for 2 days because I was just too tired. My doctor has said this might be the worst case of hypothyroidism he has ever seen.

I would go to bed at 9pm, wake up at 10am. Use the restroom. Go lay back down in bed again and I would be slightly awake for 30 minutes -- long enough to be given something to eat and to communicate with my loved ones. It was hard to put sentences together. My family said I developed a stutter and slur...so it was like I was highly drugged. Then I would fall asleep and wake up around 5pm. Drink some water in the container next to me and some soup had been placed next to me. Use the restroom. Stay awake for 30 minutes long enough to say hello to people from my bed. Then fall asleep again until 8:45pm. Laying there I would be half awake and then I'd fall asleep at 9pm. This was the schedule day after day after day. Month after month. This has gone on for about 5 years.

I had to get my hair cut short because I wasn't brushing it. :( I could manage to brush my teeth and take a bath every 3 weeks. It was unbelievable. There were a few days it was a labor to remember to breath (I had to consciously think about it) and I had to be checked for breathing during the night for several weeks. I was taken to the hospital many times and told the doctors what was happening and they didn't believe me. I told them I should probably be hospitalized because there were days I was too weak to eat or even drink but they said the symptoms were in my head.

To confuse things, when I lost my appetite for 2 weeks and only drank water (Celiac Disease can cause bouts of anorexia), I gained back all my energy within 3 days of no food. I just WOKE UP and asked to go hiking (and ran the entire way up the hill), I could brush my teeth again, brush my hair, went shopping, etc. Then on day 12 I decided to have something to eat. The next day I returned to sleeping 23 hours a day. I have now learned it is because my thyroid is SO LOW that everytime I ate goitrogenic food, it lowered my thyroid even more which causes me to almost lose consciousness. Now I have learned that goitrogens were in almost all the foods I was eating -- gluten, soy, corn, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, mustard, Niacin (the vitamin), vitamins, rutabega, turnips, spinach, sweet potatoes, radishes, soybean oil, corn oil, canola oil, etc. Even TRACE amounts knock me out.

Now I remember that during the weeks that even breathing became difficult, I had been eating HUGE servings of kale (a powerful goitrogen) with every meal... thinking it was healthy for me.

But I am not over it yet. I've been sleeping for about 17 hours most of the last two days and know that I accidently ate an unidentified goitrogen - so I occasionally get onto the forum and write posts but then go back to bed. The medication has helped considerably though, but they said it would take 6 weeks...

Anyway, that's my story. I am so mad at the doctors for not helping me. They are absolutely useless. They didn't even test my thyroid levels and yet they told me there was nothing wrong with me. 5 years of sleeping.

Edited by Dotty1

well about your story i can just say..whoa? *jaw drops* :blink: and even tho its rly sad im sorry but cant help but find part about where u go hiking hillarious bcz there u r sleeping & weak all the time etc and then suddenly ur like running up the hills lmao xD

anywayz wow, such story like yours, ive only seen on discovery channel once n even then i remember thinking: oh yea riight, howz that possible? :dozing: they probz exaggerate for shows sake etc..but after u write this, makes me realise how little we (and esp me >.>') know about how body works & unique cases like yours, i mean i absolutely dont get how can trace amounts plus from such safe foods knock u out just like that? @[email protected] if so then theres probably very little of foods that u can actually eat :/ & u havent figured all of them out yet, right? but what are food that u eat at this time anywayz?

and all of that happened totally suddenly right after that stressful event just like that? well i understand how rly stressful stuff could traumatise for long time but this is just unheard for me 8/ doctors should totally look more into u, wtf r they thinking, your case is soo uncommon & needs individual approach not their regular bs.

if its ok to tell, was it just kinda sudden/unexpected or rather like schocking event? :/

what analysis have u done? or u arent deficient in anything, just that u have that celiac and hypothyroid n their symptoms and acne? :/

& have u started those porcine (or what they were called) medicine already? i rly wonder now how it will work out for u? if it works it should fix your sleep at least so that u should sleep somewhat less than atm, right? :confused:

well anyhow, fingers crossed for u!

Your adrenals affect your thyroid, so add stress, sleep and anything good for you adrenal function. You can find more in the Good Things link below in my signature.

Do you think this is linked to my inability to sweat much?

I don't perspire at ALL. Never have. I always thought this was great but now I've learned it is one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. I believe my medication is supposed to fix this though.

Edited by Dotty1

I don't perspire at ALL. Never have. I always thought this was great but now I've learned it is one of the symptoms of hypothyroidism. I believe my medication is supposed to fix this though.

I hope the treatment works for you :)

I'm trying to add more selenium and iodine into my diet and an array of supplements. I'm scared to add too much iodine in case it backfires badly. I have cut all white bread and things that contain large amount of fluoride and bromide out of my diet, most days I end up brushing my teeth with coconut old - feels weird.

If this doesn't work I think I will consider going to the doctor, though I have complained many times of always feeling cold, they just don't seem to care.

I was eating a large amount of peanut butter up to late last year. Sometimes it was over 200 grams a day. I have eaten peanut butter all my life which may have effected my thyroid in some way.