Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dannnny

Accutane once per week vs. vit A once per week

Hello,

I was wondering, with so many people using ultra-low doses of accutane(like 10mg 1-2 times a week), could the vitamin A in high doses(400 000 - 500 000IU) 1-2 times a week provide the same effects? Would this be too dangerous health-wise if you were to take this for like 3-6 months?

Hello,

I was wondering, with so many people using ultra-low doses of accutane(like 10mg 1-2 times a week), could the vitamin A in high doses(400 000 - 500 000IU) 1-2 times a week provide the same effects? Would this be too dangerous health-wise if you were to take this for like 3-6 months?

Hey

I came off accutane around a month a go and have somewhat had a relapse in my acne symptoms (albeit at about 5% of how it was). I considered and then started to take vitamin A for a week at 24,000 IU a day. Ultimately after a lot of reading it seems that accutane is a FAR better option than vitamin A; (the following numbers I'm gonna give you are completely made up and probably not remotely close to the truth BUT(!)) you'd need to take a LOT of vitamin A to have remotely close to the same effects of a low dose of accutane, say 200,000 IU for 5mg (disclaimer, read what I said before these numbers are entirely made up!) and the side effects and damage that you are doing are far far more severe. I'd definitely shy away from taking a dose that high even once, but that's just me; there have been others that have taken high doses of vitamin A and been successful!

Since I've come to this conclusion, I've decided to take a low dose of accutane for a long period of time (how long I don't know, perhaps a year?); I'll take around 30-40mg a week, more or less 10mg every other day. The problem is I can't get a prescription so have done a TONNE of research and ordered it online. I might make a little post on this with my experiences, but I'm worried it'll get closed! Worth a shot nonetheless.

So yeah, best to go with a low dose of accutane than a massive dose of vitamin A :)