Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

...or have I gone crazy?

I am trying to keep this short as the problem I have might be a bit complex already. But after checking out different skin care/acne boards I am convinced that the most competent and experienced users are lingering around in here:)

btw the post is not as long as it looks; there are ingredient lists at the end...

I am female, in my 20s. I have mild acne at the most however I do have blackheads and quite a few clogged pores. Unfortunately I am one of those perfectionists who has to fiddle with these bumps which will turn them into acne zits eventually.

After going through douzens of products I think I have found a few that help healing the infections or decrease the number of clogged pores - no groundbreaking news there.

Surprisingly the "thing" that I have discovered does the most for my skin is makeup! And by that I do not mean the covering aspects. My skin is generally healthier, clearer, heals faster and is much less acne prone.

On top of that I have always been a MAC user and appearantly MAC is very unpopular with people who have skin problems.

What I use is this: Select Cover Up Concealer on blemishes and then Mineralize Skinfinish Natural on face (both applied with brushes). When I need more coverage (for going out, pictures etc.) or when skin is looking especially bad I dillute the concealer and apply it on my whole face. It is not more powerful than a regular liquid makeup but I find it stays on much longer plus I can vary the amount of coverage by dillution.

I am a student and the studies I am doing are very hard and time consuming. I wear makeup daily during lecture periods but then there are study breaks when I am basically either at home or among very few people for weeks. I will sit behind my books dressed like a homeless person and without makeup (but no worries body hygiene still as always;) my face however gets worse by every day I go without makeup)

I have eliminated any causes that could be associated. I am under the same amount of stress during these times, same amount of sport, outdoor activities, skin picking too... And except for the makeup I use the exact same products at the same frequency. It has to be something in the MAC products that changes my skin condition so drastically!

Below I have pasted the ingredients. Does anyone have an idea what could be the magic ingredient?

The only thing I could come up with was the talc, soaking up the grease on my skin. But as I do not have particularly greasy skin I doubt this is what is causing the dramatic change...

Select Cover-Up:

Water (Aqua Purificata) Purified, Butylene Glycol, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Tea-Stearate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Propylene Glycol Stearate, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Cetyl Esters, Lecithin, Polybutene, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Dimethicone, Tocopherol, Xanthan Gum, Polysorbate 85, Stearic Acid, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben

Mineralize Skinfinish:

Talc, Nylon-12, Dimethicone, Polysorbate 20, Isopropyl Palmitate, Jojoba Seed Oil, Yeast Extract, Tocopheryl Actetate, Retinyl Plamitate, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Magnesium Aluminium Silicate, BHT, Sodium Dehydroacetate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Butylparaben

MSF may contain:

Mica, Titanium Dioxide, Iron Oxides, Bismuth Oxychloride, Blue 1 Lake, Carmine, Chromium Hydroxide Green, Chromium Oxide Greens, Ferric Ferrocyanide, Manganese Violet, Ultramarines, Yellow 5 Lake