Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pocket

Considering Accutane. I need answers please

Story: Hi! My name is Courtney and i'm 17 years old. I have been suffering with moderate to severe acne on my face, chest, back, shoulders, and sometimes even on my stomach! I can't tell you how many topical, oral, otc, natural, or gentle treatments i've tried. Yes, some of the oral medications such as minocycline, solydyn (sp?), doxycycline, and erythromycin have helped but as always, my body gets immune within 3months or less and it stops working. Then my derm will give me something else that she pulls out of her magic hat and i go through the same awful process of breaking out worse, drying out, and then healing. I'm tired of it. My uncle told me about Accutane. He took it in the 90's for 4 months and is now 43 without any trace of acne. How amazing! I just kept thinking how wonderful it would be to have clear skin and it stay that way. I've done a lot of research on the drug and it is very scary but i'm so desperate. My prom is in May and this will be the last formal school thing i can attend. I've never been able to go to ANY formal dance since middle school because of my skin. Summer '09 was the first time i was in a bikini but the antibiotic stopped working and well... my skin backfired. I want to go to my senior prom SO bad. I can't take the crying or hiding my face anymore. Please help me.

Questions: My prom is happening the first week of May. Is there any hope that i could be clear if i started accutane in March or even now (Last weeks of February)? Graduation is within the first week of June.

How long were you on accutane till you had clear skin (even if you had to keep taking it)?

What level of acne did you have or have now?

What were your life savers while taking the drug (Product reccomendations)?

What side affects did you experience whilst on the drug and are you still experiencing them now that you've finished?

Ladies, what birth control if any did the derm suggest and does it affect the way the Accutane worked?

I apologize for the long post and many questions. I'm just looking for someone to really talk to who understands having acne. Thank you! <333 Courtney.

Edited by Pocket

Don't be scared about Accutane. I know you've probably already been exposed to the anti-Accutane scare/smear campaigns, if only on television, but the truth is it is a safe drug if you are sensible on it.

Accutane will almost certainly clear you, but unfortunately this usually takes 3-4 months to occur, so I doubt you would be clear by Prom even if you started today. However, I suggest that you do start Accutane today (or ASAP) because you should be clear by Graduation and in any case it is much more effective than antibiotics and gives you the only possible chance of permanent remission.

Lifesavers: For my dry lips I use Chapstick lipbalm; others use Carmex or Aquaphor. For dry skin I use Cetaphil moisturising lotion for dry sensitive skin. You should try to avoid the sun whilst on it, but if you can't use lots of sunscreen and cover up.

Edited by jimmy188

Go to derm ASAP, if you want to be clear by summer/graduation. Being a female you have to have a blood test, then wait an entire month and FINALLY, have another blood test before you can get an initial perscription. Therefore, i'm sorry to say you most likley won't be able to even start accutane til beginning of April. :wall: Annoying being a female, huh?

I agree though, don't be scared of accutane. I sound a lot like you, I tried every medication and finally after much debate decided to give accutane a go. I can not wait to finally not have to worry about what my skin looks like every day.

Good luck! Honestly too, don't miss out on your senior prom because of your skin. I know it's depressing thinking about going with bad breakouts, but 10 years from now you'll regret not having the experience. Get yourself pampered before and go to a salon to get your make-up done!

Don't be scared about Accutane. I know you've probably already been exposed to the anti-Accutane scare/smear campaigns, if only on television, but the truth is it is a safe drug if you are sensible on it.

Accutane will almost certainly clear you, but unfortunately this usually takes 3-4 months to occur, so I doubt you would be clear by Prom even if you started today. However, I suggest that you do start Accutane today (or ASAP) because you should be clear by Graduation and in any case it is much more effective than antibiotics and gives you the only possible chance of permanent remission.

Lifesavers: For my dry lips I use Chapstick lipbalm; others use Carmex or Aquaphor. For dry skin I use Cetaphil moisturising lotion for dry sensitive skin. You should try to avoid the sun whilst on it, but if you can't use lots of sunscreen and cover up.

Does it depend on the severity of your acne on how long it will take to make it clear or is 3-4 months pretty standard in any case? I've also heard that people go through an initial breakout. When would someone expect that to happen? Thanks so much! You have really helped :]

Go to derm ASAP, if you want to be clear by summer/graduation. Being a female you have to have a blood test, then wait an entire month and FINALLY, have another blood test before you can get an initial perscription. Therefore, i'm sorry to say you most likley won't be able to even start accutane til beginning of April. :wall: Annoying being a female, huh?

I agree though, don't be scared of accutane. I sound a lot like you, I tried every medication and finally after much debate decided to give accutane a go. I can not wait to finally not have to worry about what my skin looks like every day.

Good luck! Honestly too, don't miss out on your senior prom because of your skin. I know it's depressing thinking about going with bad breakouts, but 10 years from now you'll regret not having the experience. Get yourself pampered before and go to a salon to get your make-up done!

I go on the 23rd to talk to my derm thank god! Ugh, being a female really gets in the way >.< I hope i don't have to wait till April but if i have to then it's worth it. I can't wait for the day that i have clear skin. I'm tired of not wearing what i want and taking forever on my makeup. Thank you so much :]

No problem :) Yes 3-4 months is standard, but it does vary individually, i've heard some people are clear in a month and others take up to 6 months or even have to take a second course. I've only been on it a week so not sure which category i'll fall into, hopefully the first! I assume too that it does also depend on severity of your acne, i'm sure moderate/persistant suffers clear up faster.

I've been on accutane a week and think my initial breakout is already starting, some people it's a month or so in. There are a lot of blogs under the personal regimen section. Reading some of those defintley will give you a feel for what the medication is like!

Stay positive!

You should definitely try accutane. I'm on a 40mg twice a day 5 month course of claravis. I'm now on my 10th day and already experiencing what I think may be my IB. It sure does suck. I look back at the previous 5 months of my life and only wish I had began my treatment then so I would be clear by now. Hopefully the 19 weeks I have left go by as fast as the last. Don't wait another minute :boohoo:

You should definitely try accutane. I'm on a 40mg twice a day 5 month course of claravis. I'm now on my 10th day and already experiencing what I think may be my IB. It sure does suck. I look back at the previous 5 months of my life and only wish I had began my treatment then so I would be clear by now. Hopefully the 19 weeks I have left go by as fast as the last. Don't wait another minute :boohoo:

Thank you for responding to my post! :] Well atleast your IB is happening now instead of later. Good luck! I hope everything goes well for you.

Hey! I am starting Roaccutane in 2 weeks and am experiencing the same thoughts as you. It is a little scary, but when you've tried everything else out there, I think you just feel like, 'why not?'. I honestly was so reluctant to start on this drug, but now that i've read the stories of other people, and the effects it has (good ones of course :P), I feel much better about it. I have moderate-severe acne but only on my face, and I actually think the thing i'm most scared about with going on this drug is the initial breakout! Like, as if we want it to look any worse! But I think it's definitely worth it to endure a couple of months or so (depending on each person) of bad skin to end with clear, beautiful skin. I'm glad I have the support of people on here who are taking it/have taken it to guide me through the process. Hope it all goes well for you, and get to the derm ASAP! Good luck.

Story: Hi! My name is Courtney and i'm 17 years old. I have been suffering with moderate to severe acne on my face, chest, back, shoulders, and sometimes even on my stomach! I can't tell you how many topical, oral, otc, natural, or gentle treatments i've tried. Yes, some of the oral medications such as minocycline, solydyn (sp?), doxycycline, and erythromycin have helped but as always, my body gets immune within 3months or less and it stops working. Then my derm will give me something else that she pulls out of her magic hat and i go through the same awful process of breaking out worse, drying out, and then healing. I'm tired of it. My uncle told me about Accutane. He took it in the 90's for 4 months and is now 43 without any trace of acne. How amazing! I just kept thinking how wonderful it would be to have clear skin and it stay that way. I've done a lot of research on the drug and it is very scary but i'm so desperate. My prom is in May and this will be the last formal school thing i can attend. I've never been able to go to ANY formal dance since middle school because of my skin. Summer '09 was the first time i was in a bikini but the antibiotic stopped working and well... my skin backfired. I want to go to my senior prom SO bad. I can't take the crying or hiding my face anymore. Please help me.

Questions: My prom is happening the first week of May. Is there any hope that i could be clear if i started accutane in March or even now (Last weeks of February)? Graduation is within the first week of June.

How long were you on accutane till you had clear skin (even if you had to keep taking it)?

What side affects did you experience whilst on the drug and are you still experiencing them now that you've finished?

Ladies, what birth control if any did the derm suggest and does it affect the way the Accutane worked?

I apologize for the long post and many questions. I'm just looking for someone to really talk to who understands having acne. Thank you! <333 Courtney.

Hey! I am starting Roaccutane in 2 weeks and am experiencing the same thoughts as you. It is a little scary, but when you've tried everything else out there, I think you just feel like, 'why not?'. I honestly was so reluctant to start on this drug, but now that i've read the stories of other people, and the effects it has (good ones of course :P), I feel much better about it. I have moderate-severe acne but only on my face, and I actually think the thing i'm most scared about with going on this drug is the initial breakout! Like, as if we want it to look any worse! But I think it's definitely worth it to endure a couple of months or so (depending on each person) of bad skin to end with clear, beautiful skin. I'm glad I have the support of people on here who are taking it/have taken it to guide me through the process. Hope it all goes well for you, and get to the derm ASAP! Good luck.

Thank you so much for replying to my post :] I'm so glad that this community is full of people who understand and can give great advice. I can't wait to talk to my Derm tomorrow. I've been ready to have clear skin for so long. Good luck on your Accutane journey. I hope you share how it all goes for you especially since i'm going to be an Accutane newbie as well. It will be nice to know i'm not the only one starting out. Again, thanks n__n <3 -Courtney

I have been on accutane for allmost 6 months now and only have one left :o yey!!

Im completely acne free now, but my skin has changed dramatically. I have aged. It has become looser and more droopy, bigger pores and the coloration is not good at all.. It also seems very rubber like. I only hope it will be bettre when i finish and some of the moist returns to the skin.

BUT!!!

I am glad i did this now and i regret i didnt take it sooner!!!

Im 25 years old now and i hope to find som products that will bring life back to my skin or some laser.

I think you will be just fine =) go for it!!!!!

I have been on accutane for allmost 6 months now and only have one left :o yey!!

Im completely acne free now, but my skin has changed dramatically. I have aged. It has become looser and more droopy, bigger pores and the coloration is not good at all.. It also seems very rubber like. I only hope it will be bettre when i finish and some of the moist returns to the skin.

BUT!!!

I am glad i did this now and i regret i didnt take it sooner!!!

Im 25 years old now and i hope to find som products that will bring life back to my skin or some laser.

I think you will be just fine =) go for it!!!!!

Congrats! I'm very happy for you. I'm sure after you've finished your skin will balance out and not be so severely dry as i've read from other peoples posts. I would suggest you try Elizabeth Arden 8 hour cream. I've heard nothing but amazing things about it. How long did it take for you to have clear skin whilst on Accutane or at least see a huge difference? Thanks for the encouragement and replying to my post. <3 :D - Courtney

For me it only took one month and i had fantastic skin =) Than suddenly after 3-4 months the side effects really kicked in. :o i dont understand why though.

The start of the cure was amazing. only a little dry lips. Now i have escema on my palms and my skin on my cheeks are easily red. My general vision is badder than before but im coping.

I am also what we can call manic depressive now and have been for the three last monts :(

( i dont know if you know what manic depressive is and dont want to affend you in any way but its when you change from superhappy to supersad several times a day)

Im soon finished so ill hang in there..

Im currently on 60 mg per day and the meds has really made my skin age faster.. so i hope there is something i can do when i finish to get my old youthfull apperance back and not that saggy skin..

Regarding the acne:

This is a godsent for most people and has also been for me. Only be aware of the sideeffects as you probably are =)

Withh that said i think you will be just fine and i wish you all the best =)

Hugs Flem

Manic depressive? I am guessing that is not a clinical diagnosis, or the docs would have taken you off Accutane pretty quick! Maybe you mean mood swings?

I'm into my 2nd week of Accutane, so far it's OK...dry lips, dry eyes, dry skin, but for me, I think it's worth a shot (at my age - 38 - when I have literally tried everything just about!). I was scared of side effects too, but I suppose that's the risk you take with any medication. The nurse at the hospital where I get my tane was very reassuring about Side Effects and IB, which was a great help to me.

For me it only took one month and i had fantastic skin =) Than suddenly after 3-4 months the side effects really kicked in. :o i dont understand why though.

The start of the cure was amazing. only a little dry lips. Now i have escema on my palms and my skin on my cheeks are easily red. My general vision is badder than before but im coping.

I am also what we can call manic depressive now and have been for the three last monts :(

( i dont know if you know what manic depressive is and dont want to affend you in any way but its when you change from superhappy to supersad several times a day)

Im soon finished so ill hang in there..

Im currently on 60 mg per day and the meds has really made my skin age faster.. so i hope there is something i can do when i finish to get my old youthfull apperance back and not that saggy skin..

Regarding the acne:

This is a godsent for most people and has also been for me. Only be aware of the sideeffects as you probably are =)

Withh that said i think you will be just fine and i wish you all the best =)

Hugs Flem

Thanks you :] I can see how your mood changing so drastically can be very frustrating. I'm glad you're being positive though! I hope my experience with Accutane is as good as yours. I know it can be a lot worse. If you don't mind, what products have been helping you through your Accutane journey?<3 - Courtney

Edited by Pocket

Manic depressive? I am guessing that is not a clinical diagnosis, or the docs would have taken you off Accutane pretty quick! Maybe you mean mood swings?

I'm into my 2nd week of Accutane, so far it's OK...dry lips, dry eyes, dry skin, but for me, I think it's worth a shot (at my age - 38 - when I have literally tried everything just about!). I was scared of side effects too, but I suppose that's the risk you take with any medication. The nurse at the hospital where I get my tane was very reassuring about Side Effects and IB, which was a great help to me.

It seems that everyone goes through the dryness which is better than other side effects listed. Just hang in there :] This site is very supportive and already i feel so much better about going on the medication. Thank you for replying to my post! If you don't mind me asking, what products are you using to get through the side effects and how long have you been told to be on the medication? <3 - Courtney

courtney:

I am using in my face La Roche-Posay Effaclar H

I got this at a pharmacist and she just got it in. It was a new product that was specifically for really dry skin caused by medication. And it has really helped me a lot.

For my hands i havent found a moisturiser that is excellent, but i have found out that the thicker the cream is , the bettre it works for me.

On my lips i use a balm called blistex wich i use many times a day.

Last thursday i actually got treated with botox in my forehead and Restylane for the scarring in my cheeks and i also got a moisturizer from the plastic surgeon that i now dont remember the name of(because im at work now)

Its not a clinical diagnosis of course and maybe its mood swings.

But the thing is that i havent told my derm about my mood because i simply want to finish these pills ( i know its f..... stupid) ,But anyway i am friends with my X still and she is a MD.

She doesnt know that i am on these pills and she told me the other day: What has happened to you? you seem manic depressed.

And before she said that i didnt know what manic depressed was.

Im not suicidal but most of my days i go to work and than go home only to dim the lights and dont interact with people.

Only hope to get my life back soon =)

Today im going to pick up my last box of pills=)=)

courtney:

I am using in my face La Roche-Posay Effaclar H

I got this at a pharmacist and she just got it in. It was a new product that was specifically for really dry skin caused by medication. And it has really helped me a lot.

For my hands i havent found a moisturiser that is excellent, but i have found out that the thicker the cream is , the bettre it works for me.

On my lips i use a balm called blistex wich i use many times a day.

Last thursday i actually got treated with botox in my forehead and Restylane for the scarring in my cheeks and i also got a moisturizer from the plastic surgeon that i now dont remember the name of(because im at work now)

Thanks! Wow. That's awesome. I'm happy for you :]

It seems that everyone goes through the dryness which is better than other side effects listed. Just hang in there :] This site is very supportive and already i feel so much better about going on the medication. Thank you for replying to my post! If you don't mind me asking, what products are you using to get through the side effects and how long have you been told to be on the medication? <3 - Courtney

At the moment I am only on 20mg per day, I have my next hospital appt. on 3 March. The nurse at the hospital says that usually they put the dose up by 10mg every month, until the max dose for weight is achieved (50 mg a day in my case). I'm not sure how long I will be on it at this point - will be at least 4 months, probably longer...I definitely don't want my acne to return, so I'm happy to stay on it 6 months, I just hope my side effects don't suddenly get bad.

The nurse was great, he says the majority of patients on accutane that he has seen just get dry lips and dry skin, some get dry eyes and dry inside nose. In his experience, few get joint pains, but if you do it's like when you've done vigorous exercise for the first time in ages and your muscles are stiff.

At the moment, I'm using Carmex for my lips (just use it twice a day or so), Simple lotion or MAC cleansing oil to remove make up, Green People rejuvinating night cream (this has gentle fruit acids...so far been OK) and Clinique City Block SPF 25 mixed with a blob of Olay Regenerist moisturiser in the morning.

I read on this board someone really recommended Clinique dramatically different moisturising gel , so am planning to buy a small tube on ebay to see.

Good luck if you decide to go with Accutane

At the moment I am only on 20mg per day, I have my next hospital appt. on 3 March. The nurse at the hospital says that usually they put the dose up by 10mg every month, until the max dose for weight is achieved (50 mg a day in my case). I'm not sure how long I will be on it at this point - will be at least 4 months, probably longer...I definitely don't want my acne to return, so I'm happy to stay on it 6 months, I just hope my side effects don't suddenly get bad.

The nurse was great, he says the majority of patients on accutane that he has seen just get dry lips and dry skin, some get dry eyes and dry inside nose. In his experience, few get joint pains, but if you do it's like when you've done vigorous exercise for the first time in ages and your muscles are stiff.

At the moment, I'm using Carmex for my lips (just use it twice a day or so), Simple lotion or MAC cleansing oil to remove make up, Green People rejuvinating night cream (this has gentle fruit acids...so far been OK) and Clinique City Block SPF 25 mixed with a blob of Olay Regenerist moisturiser in the morning.

I read on this board someone really recommended Clinique dramatically different moisturising gel , so am planning to buy a small tube on ebay to see.

Good luck if you decide to go with Accutane

Hi! Thank you for responding. This was very helpful. I've only tried the Nars cleansing oil and i didn't like it so much so i will have to try MACs :] I have decided to go on Accutane thanks to this Communitys support. My derm said i would be on it 4-6 months as well. Hopefully i will be semi clear before my prom on May 7th. Yikes D: I start on March 24th! I've already had my pregnancy test, iPledge forms signed, and now i just have to wait a couple days before March 24th to get blood work done. I started an Accutane Log if you are interested in following it before or after i start. You can find the link in my blog. Thanks again <3 - Courtney