Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dancer123

Low-GI Diet Log

hello all, i'm a 23-year-old female and i've decided to dedicate myself to getting rid of my face and back acne. i have too many sexy, backless dresses in my closet to let this go on for much longer.

i've had acne for about 6 years, and i bet i've tried everything you have: all the meds (except for accutane), all the topicals, all the birth controls, all the detergent switches :) some things help, but too many don't. living in india for 4 months and having to change my diet radically to spicy, healthy and un-sugary foods was the only time i've really felt good about my skin.

i'm scared of accutane. it's too much of a risk, IMO. with that in mind, i believe changing up my diet is going to help. i'm going to share my experiences with you here, and i hope you chime in. i know how awful acne can be and this site has made me realize i'm definitely, definitely not alone :)

i'm changing a lot right now (going on a new birth control, beyaz--similar to yaz--, starting doxycycline again, dabbling with retin-a, changing my foundation, adding some vitamin e and evening primrose oil to my regimen) so i can't be sure what's attributed to what. all i can say, is that i've tried all this ish before (minus eating well...god, i love cheeseburgers and burritos and fries way too much) but enough is enough. i'm not a great cook yet, but i'm going to start preparing all my own meals. if there's a way to spice up seemingly boring healthy foods, i will find it!

recipe suggestions, i imagine, will be greatly appreciated. i'll share mine with you too, if they're any good.

Day 1. Breakfast: 3-egg omelette with spinach and onions and pepper. Delicious!

Snacks: walnuts, almonds, raisins little bit of dark chocolate. Some jalapeno hummus and carrots and broccoli.

Late afternoon lunch: smoked salmon and spinach on a toasted whole grain English muffin...with a *touch* of low-fat cream cheese (sigh! there's no way to eat salmon+bread without cream cheese, am i right?)

Dinner: amazing. Morningstar Farms black bean burger SAUTEED (soo much better than in the microwave!) with sauteed onions and garlic and tomatoes. Dinner was a winner.

By the by, when I sautee this stuff, I'm doing it in EVOO.

I feel great. Drove by a Chik-Fil-A and willed myself to ignore it, and glad I did. Going to add green tea into the mix tomorrow.

I don't expect to see results for at least a few weeks (at least.) I don't know if it's helpful to post everything I eat, but I might as well. Someone out there may find it useful.

Also, my acne is hormonal--it's along my jawline and near my mouth. Also redness on the cheeks, red spots on my chest, and big red spots along the top of my back. My skin is a host to a delightful mixture of cysts (few), whiteheads, and blackheads. My face is like an equal opportunity employer.

Chin up though!

Are you going to eat like that everyday? All that stuff sounds quite tasty :P. So tasty I'd probably double everything if I were on your diet.

Also, for me, antibiotics get rid of all my actives and all my deep acne and inflammation within a week, but they might work differently for you and unfortunately I had to stop taking them due to side effects. All I can say is I hope they still work and you continue to stay clear once you're off them! You might want to get probiotics and prebiotics from something; that could help prevent a relapse.

Good luck!