Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Geeking

Weight Loss, less acne?

I am pretty sure this goes here.

Well, I'm overweight. I am starting to get at the end of my rope with my acne, so I thought, losing weight may help reduce it? I don't really eat terribly bad, so I'm kind of skeptical losing weight would help my acne [not that I shouldn't lose weight].

I've tried various things, and am currently considering Accutane, so if I try to lose weight and am fairly successful and there's not an improvement then, Accutane may be it (thought I don't want to go that route).

Anywho, has anyone experienced a visible correlation between their weight and acne? (Though I know a lot of people on here believe bigger people don't get acne so :lol: )

Bigger people get acne. At one point, I was 230 pounds, and while at my height that's not really that big and I didn't look like a beast or anything, the majority of that weight was fat. Blech. It was during the months of weight gain and staying at such a monstrous weight I was breaking out the worst. I definitely cleared up quite well from dropping that weight, and I've always seemed to break out much less when I'm eating less and losing weight. For example, here's another extreme: a little over a year ago (still at ~6'5") I weighed 150 lbs. I was also clear then until I started trying to bulk again.

While I do think that dropping weight and in general consuming less benefits your skin, part of the reason I might have come to that conclusion is because whenever I try to bulk or at least maintain a healthy weight with a good amount of muscle, I eat lots of red meat. But who knows? I've definitely always observed my best skin days when I'm losing weight/eating less.

Thank you for your input. Interesting to take note of!

I have been eating less, I hope to stay on this diet thingy. I really want to see an improvement but who knows. I've only started a week ago. If I do lose a nice amount and my face clears up some I will definitely post that.

You sound a bit tentative about this losing weight 'goal.' I'll save you the speech, but if you want to get the best of both worlds (lose fat and acne) go on a low carb diet. This diet is, in my opinion, the second most effective treatment for acne, coming second only to accutane.

I have recently begun eating a vegetarian diet and have lost weight pretty effortlessly ( as well as improved skin). I think an important factor is aiming for general health and finding foods you enjoy. You might like the food matters cookbook (mark bittam I believe). It has great recipes to incorporate a diet with more produce and a bit of meat. Good luck to you in whatever decision you make!

You sound a bit tentative about this losing weight 'goal.' I'll save you the speech, but if you want to get the best of both worlds (lose fat and acne) go on a low carb diet. This diet is, in my opinion, the second most effective treatment for acne, coming second only to accutane.

I think it's more effective than accutane simply because it's guaranteed to work. People are far too addicted to their sugar hormone spikes to listen though.

I think it's more effective than accutane simply because it's guaranteed to work. People are far too addicted to their sugar hormone spikes to listen though.

Two courses of accutane did absolutely nothing for my acne. On the other hand, keeping meals/drinks/snacks moderate GL cleared my skin within 2 months of the day I drank my last soda and began improving my diet.

And the OP should go on a nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory, low to moderate GL diet that doesn't include anything you have an intolerance for. That means cutting out processed, refined foods and drinks in favor of real, whole colorful plants foods, teas, herbs, fish, etc.

Well, I'm overweight. I am starting to get at the end of my rope with my acne, so I thought, losing weight may help reduce it? I don't really eat terribly bad,

Can you describe what you mean by 'terribly bad?' Does your diet include bread, sugary things, hydrogenated/trans fats and other processed foods? Is the glycemic load of all meals/drinks/snacks moderate or low? Do you eat lots of sugary fruit or juice without any fat or fiber source to lower the glycemic impact? Do you eat a lot of things to which it's extremely common to be intolerant?

And yes, body fat affects hormones and inflammation in many ways. So weight loss can help. Although it may temporarily worsen as hormones stored in fat get back into circulation.

But more importantly, a good anti-inflammatory, blood sugar stabilizing diet will do wonders for your acne, retard aging and prevent/improve/reverse all kinds of health conditions you may not know you have/are developing.

yep it will help your acne.

ps. How can you eat pretty healthy when your overweight...

Edited by joris

You don't have to stop eating. I have tried that (and I've always been really thin).

However, eating healthier food does help. Say goodbye to chocolate, pizza, sugar, etc. And hello to LOTS of water and mostly vegan food.

xo

By 'not terribly bad' I mean, I don't eat fast food, candy, sugar. I hardly eat bread anymore and if I do it's double fiber whole wheat, same when if I eat pasta and that's like once every two weeks maybe. I can't afford organic stuff and I buy frozen vegetables. I only drink water and milk [Yeah I know people say milk causes acne but I could never give it up].

I don't think I have any food triggers, I may have some but it doesn't seem to be that, for me I think it's stress and hormones.

@jarchi Thank you for your good luck wishes.

yep it will help your acne.

ps. How can you eat pretty healthy when your overweight...

Yes. I lost weight and maintain it easily when I improved my diet and I drizzle olive oil all over my food, eat nuts for snacks, eat quite a few eggs and coconut, use butter, buy only full fat cheese and yogurt. On the other hand, those are my main sources of fat as I rarely eat meat other than fatty fish a few times a week and the dairy products are used more as condiments than food.

Say goodbye to chocolate, pizza, sugar, etc. And hello to LOTS of water and mostly vegan food.

Not if it's processed vegan faux food. Especially wheat and un-fermented soy based. And say hello to chocolate. Low sugar high cacao chocolate in small doses, and unsweetened cocoa and cacao nibs.

Edited by alternativista

@alternate,

your talking 70%+ dark which a lot of people dont really like and that in small doses :P

ps. so your almost eating vegan with a little bit of fish butter and milk?

@toni

I still have to see one reason why meat would cause you acne. The only reasons to eat vegan are moral reasons. Its not going to get you more satisfied than paleo type of diet (most people) , its not going to have more health benefits as a paleo /medeterian etc diet, and not going to prevent more acne.

@geeking

If your overweight the biggest concern is what fills you the most. (Meat fish and eggs (non vegan) or fruits,nuts,olive oil (vegan). I didnt list veggies because both diets can have the same amounts of veggies. Since you cant eat 100% veggie foods. I would go with the most filling so you can create a SMALL calorie deficit and slowly burning off some fat.

Edited by joris

@alternate,

your talking 70%+ dark which a lot of people dont really like and that in small doses :P

ps. so your almost eating vegan with a little bit of fish butter and milk?

@toni

I still have to see one reason why meat would cause you acne.

I would say I eat mostly vegetarian. I on occasion eat meat, like when it's served to me at someone's home, and I occasionally buy chicken.

And in the past, there were a few threads by people who did have issues with saturated fat with plausible reasons why it could affect acne and good research. But I've never been able to find them again and don't remember the reasons.

I don't think there is a direct connection between weight and acne. I've been under 100lbs my entire life and have terrible acne. However, diet and general health may contribute to both weight and acne. I try my best to eat a balanced diet, but I slip up quite a bit and usually end up losing weight, until I get back on my diet.

In regards to losing weight, I've heard that it can temporarily cause acne and other health problems, especially if the weight loss is rapid. Supposedly, fat can store various toxins that have entered the body one way or another and when the fat is burned off, it releases these toxins back into the body.

I wish you the best of luck anyway. A healthy body begets healthy skin.

Inorder to reduce weight, maintaining a healthy diet & lifestyle is very important. Add fresh veggies, fruits to your diet. Snack on nuts instead of oily foods. Avoid junk, canned and processed foods. Sugar can be substituted with honey and maple syrups. Drink plenty of water to keep yourself hydrated. Yoga and meditation will keep your mind & body healthy.

I don't think there is a direct connection between weight and acne. I've been under 100lbs my entire life and have terrible acne.

Im not saying that low weight will fix your acne!! Im only saying that high weight may contribute to it. Because fat tisseu can raise inflammation and excrete hormones.

I don't think there is a direct connection between weight and acne. I've been under 100lbs my entire life and have terrible acne.

Im not saying that low weight will fix your acne!! Im only saying that high weight may contribute to it. Because fat tisseu can raise inflammation and excrete hormones.

Yes. It's a big part of the endocrine system. Excess hormones can be stored in body fat. Some hormones are made in body fat and I believe some enzymes that convert hormones from one to the other are made in body fat.

Also, lean muscle improves blood sugar which is a major factor in acne, hormones and nearly all aspects of health.

Edited by alternativista

I don't think there is a direct connection between weight and acne. I've been under 100lbs my entire life and have terrible acne. However, diet and general health may contribute to both weight and acne. I try my best to eat a balanced diet, but I slip up quite a bit and usually end up losing weight, until I get back on my diet.

In regards to losing weight, I've heard that it can temporarily cause acne and other health problems, especially if the weight loss is rapid. Supposedly, fat can store various toxins that have entered the body one way or another and when the fat is burned off, it releases these toxins back into the body.

I wish you the best of luck anyway. A healthy body begets healthy skin.

Wow. You're a bony little thing aren't ya?

Well, I'm overweight. I am starting to get at the end of my rope with my acne, so I thought, losing weight may help reduce it? I don't really eat terribly bad, so I'm kind of skeptical losing weight would help my acne [not that I shouldn't lose weight].

I've tried various things, and am currently considering Accutane, so if I try to lose weight and am fairly successful and there's not an improvement then, Accutane may be it (thought I don't want to go that route).

Anywho, has anyone experienced a visible correlation between their weight and acne? (Though I know a lot of people on here believe bigger people don't get acne so :lol: )

How is this going for you now?

I have lost weight over the last 2 years (around 35lb). I had clear skin when I was overweight and now I am 'normal' weight I'm having trouble with acne!! SIGH

I recently messed around with a ketogenic [almost zero carb] diet for one reason or another. I only stayed on it for 6 weeks but i lost nearly 2 stones. I had barely any fat on me to start and as i lost strength i must have lost a fair amount of muscle to go with all the water.

My reason for posting is that my skin actually got worse at first and only started to calm down just before i quit, i think this may have been because i wasn't eating enough on some days and because i was already in ketosis i was effectively starving myself and using up stored fat. This may have lead to release of estrogen and "toxins", if you research on google with low carb / atkins / ketosis and acne / bad skin you will find people saying there skin gets worse along with the people who say it gets better. Some say it is only temporary, many say their skin was previously fine. i'm not sure about this but it kind of makes sense i guess considering my skin did start to calm down and clear up just before i stopped.

So losing weight may make your skin worse or temporarily worse anyway.

I recently messed around with a ketogenic [almost zero carb] diet for one reason or another. I only stayed on it for 6 weeks but i lost nearly 2 stones. I had barely any fat on me to start and as i lost strength i must have lost a fair amount of muscle to go with all the water.

My reason for posting is that my skin actually got worse at first and only started to calm down just before i quit, i think this may have been because i wasn't eating enough on some days and because i was already in ketosis i was effectively starving myself and using up stored fat. This may have lead to release of estrogen and "toxins", if you research on google with low carb / atkins / ketosis and acne / bad skin you will find people saying there skin gets worse along with the people who say it gets better. Some say it is only temporary, many say their skin was previously fine. i'm not sure about this but it kind of makes sense i guess considering my skin did start to calm down and clear up just before i stopped.

So losing weight may make your skin worse or temporarily worse anyway.

Well I'm definitely one of the people who would say their skin was previously fine. It was fine for most of the time I was losing the weight too and has only recently flared up in the last 5-6 months. It could just be a coincidence that once I lost weight my skin got worse but I am trying to eat a balanced diet these days to try and correct any damage that years of cutting down on food and specific food groups may have done.