Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ivy.

How can I make sure I'm getting enough calories?

So...I'm about 85 pounds and 5'3 feet tall. I'v been looking into trying to change my diet to see if that helps my acne but I have limited knowledge about healthy eating, calories, and all that jazz.

Before my diet was pretty much anything I wanted...as I am so thin...I didn't think It mattered what I ate.

I'v started to get myself to eat more greens (like spinach), fruits (blueberries, apples, bananas etc), and am going to try and avoid dairy, white bread, and processed foods.

But I am not sure of healthy things that I can eat that will also help me gain weight (if I just eat fruit and veggies I'll probably fade away lol) =/ any suggestions?

also is there any other tips you might have for my new "diet" ?

Thank you!

So...I'm about 85 pounds and 5'3 feet tall. I'v been looking into trying to change my diet to see if that helps my acne but I have limited knowledge about healthy eating, calories, and all that jazz.

Before my diet was pretty much anything I wanted...as I am so thin...I didn't think It mattered what I ate.

I'v started to get myself to eat more greens (like spinach), fruits (blueberries, apples, bananas etc), and am going to try and avoid dairy, white bread, and processed foods.

But I am not sure of healthy things that I can eat that will also help me gain weight (if I just eat fruit and veggies I'll probably fade away lol) =/ any suggestions?

Thank you!

Eat 5 or 6 moderately sized meals every day, spread out about every 2 hours. This will never leave you feeling full or too hungry, while at the same time promoting a healthy metabolism and is optimal for maintaining muscle mass. Try to limit carbs aside from vegetables, and remember that all green vegetables hold much more nutritional value than the others. Also remember to avoid all processed foods. If a caveman wouldn't eat it, you shouldn't either. Don't forget to add in proteins (lean meats, legumes, etc) but if you are concerned about your skin, I am told nuts should be avoided for the most part. Also, remember to drink water as often as you can. And if you work out, carbs should be consumed within 2 hours after working out (healthy carbs, that is).

Best of luck.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'm not 100% sure that what i'm eating is causing my acne, but I'm pretty much at the end of my rope with it so i'll try anything...i'm hoping for some reason that it IS food related and eating healthy will help.

Although...I should eat healthy anyways :)

It's just so overwhelming because there is so much to learn about food and things like eating too much sugar or oils yadayadayada >.<

Thank you!

Hi Ivy,

Adding whole grains is helpful to maintain weight - quinoa is a great source of protein. Cook it like you would rice and use organic veg broth as the water and add it to salads or as a side. If you can tolerate wheat you can try having whole grain pastas (Barilla makes a decent one)so you are getting complex carbohydrates instead of simple.

I like to make smoothies for breakfast in the blender with organic frozen berries and banana, a little honey and vanilla rice dream.

I tend to avoid soy, dairy, flour, dried pastas and sugar as much as possible as I have found they aggravate my skin. Something else that I have added to my diet is ground flax seed - I put it on my granola in the morning or in my smoothie. Buy it whole and grind it yourself for the best benefit. It takes a little gettting used to the taste BUT - I have had a lot less acne since I started eating it - I've been told that it is supposed to help the body balance hormones and also is a great source of Omega 3 which is essential for healthy skin, hair nails and it is a much better source than taking the pill version. Hey - worth a try. And always - drink LOTS of water and avoid sodas.

Parting thought - don't get toooooo strict with yourself - I have found when I do it's harder to maintain.

Fingers crossed that you see an improvement! Good luck.

Something that might be helpful: if you eat an early breakfast and do some exercise and mental activity before lunchtime, you won't be able to resist eating more. Stuffing yourself when you're not hungry is never a good idea.

Also, if you're struggling with acne, I'd generally recommend avoiding wholemeal foods/lots of wheat and potatoes and sugar. For the wholemeal, this is because it can actually act as an irritant in your colon and inhibit healthy bacteria growth. Things like sweet potatoes, yams, cassava, and manioc would be more ideal sources. Especially the orange tubers. Quinoa wouldn't hurt either, but it has incomplete protein. It would be beneficial for you to try to get your protein from seafood and poultry (chicken and shrimp = supermeats). I advocate against grocery store red meat.

Bars are a good way to get lots nutrients and calories. Bear Valley makes some awesome bars, like Pemmicans, each of which has 440 calories. Amazon used to sell a dozen for $10, but that price is double right now.

Also, this isn't orthodox, but sugar is actually the easiest way to get your calories. If eating sugar doesn't make you break out, well, juice or whatever your favorite drink is will get you there. Sugar IS an inflammatory, but it goes through you quickly.

Don't try to avoid saturated fat either. It's not bad for you.

Something that might be helpful: if you eat an early breakfast and do some exercise and mental activity before lunchtime, you won't be able to resist eating more. Stuffing yourself when you're not hungry is never a good idea.

Also, if you're struggling with acne, I'd generally recommend avoiding wholemeal foods/lots of wheat and potatoes and sugar. For the wholemeal, this is because it can actually act as an irritant in your colon and inhibit healthy bacteria growth. Things like sweet potatoes, yams, cassava, and manioc would be more ideal sources. Especially the orange tubers. Quinoa wouldn't hurt either, but it has incomplete protein. It would be beneficial for you to try to get your protein from seafood and poultry (chicken and shrimp = supermeats). I advocate against grocery store red meat.

Bars are a good way to get lots nutrients and calories. Bear Valley makes some awesome bars, like Pemmicans, each of which has 440 calories. Amazon used to sell a dozen for $10, but that price is double right now.

Also, this isn't orthodox, but sugar is actually the easiest way to get your calories. If eating sugar doesn't make you break out, well, juice or whatever your favorite drink is will get you there. Sugar IS an inflammatory, but it goes through you quickly.

Don't try to avoid saturated fat either. It's not bad for you.

Thanks for the reply :)

I wish I knew what broke me out and what didn't break me out, but I really have no idea...I guess i'll have to eat healthy for awhile then try and add in things to see how my skin reacts.

guess it all just takes patience.