Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sthinks

Do good concealers even exist?! In desperate need of one...

Hey guys, I've been on a neverending quest to find the perfect concealer. I would love to know of drugstore brands that provide full coverage for the red/purple postinflammatory marks on my cheeks, but i'll take high end product suggestions too. i've tried nearly everything but i feel like they make my scars look unnaturally covered up... i don't wear foundation. the most i'll wear on my face is powder and even then, only on special occasions. so i like the idea of having a good, blendable concealer that won't make me break out and that i can set with powder.

I've searched the posts on here a billion times regarding the subject and i've tried some of the suggestions to no avail. i'm currently using phaze13 to get rid of the scars... barely any progress. this is so FRUSTRATING!!!!!!

Please help? :wacko:

:( I haven't found any drugstore concealers I would recommend.

What I personally love and have used for years is Amazing Cosmetics' concealer. LOVE. IT. And I also sometimes use Bare Escentuals foundation as a concealer and/or a setting agent for the first concealer. Good luck!

What I personally love and have used for years is Amazing Cosmetics' concealer. LOVE. IT. And I also sometimes use Bare Escentuals foundation as a concealer and/or a setting agent for the first concealer. Good luck!

Thanks bek! At 42 bucks, the price is a little steep for something that looks so tiny, but at this point I'm willing to try anything. So I can just spot conceal with this and be good to go right?

I'm using Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer, and it's reaaally good. It's non-comedogenic, oil-free, and it hasn't broken me out (and believe me, everything liquid has broken me out, except for this stuff). Works on my cystic parts too. Definately recommend it.

If you want, here's the makeupalley link:

Filter the reviews by skin; acne-prone skin, and you'll see people with acne, like it a LOT.

I actually bought it because of the positive reviews.

I like using L'Oreal Bare Natural concealer. It is amazing at covering spots and under eye darkness. I use Everyday Minerals all over and then extra on spots, then if I need more coverage I use the Bare Natural and it usually does the job.

Zarina, I actually tried that and I felt like it didn't give me the coverage that I wanted. It looked kinda of unnatural and cakey? It concealed, but not enough. Maybe I need to use a corrective concealer such as PF's green stick under it?

ETA: acceptance, I'll give it a shot. Thanks!

Edited by sthinks

Thanks bek! At 42 bucks, the price is a little steep for something that looks so tiny, but at this point I'm willing to try anything. So I can just spot conceal with this and be good to go right?

The plus side of high end cosmetics is that if they don't work, you can get refunds. Ulta gives you 60 days to return the product(s) for a full refund. I have returned multiple items with no problem. Sephora offers full refunds as well.

Note for BE cosmetics, avoid the ones with bismuth oxychloride, it is a skin irritant.

If you are just spot concealing, a tube/jar could last for months.

Also, if you search mineral make up, dozens of sites will turn up. Many offer free samples of their foundations and concealers. You only pay for shipping. I really enjoy Silk Naturals, as I have unusual coloring. I am very pale with strong olive undertones. Their foundation is the first that has ever matched my skin.

Edited by woadrose

I swear by Bare Minerals foundation -- it's actually a line from Bare Escentuals. I used to use it as a daily foundation, but I went through it really quickly and eventually switched to Neutrogena's version because it's half the price. However, Neutrogena doesn't conceal nearly as well as Bare Minerals, so I continued spot concealing with Bare Minerals. Not wearing any makeup these days, as I decided to go all-natural with my regimen. But I still spot conceal with Bare Minerals as needed. And even though the retail price is about $25, it will last FOREVER if you only use it to spot conceal.

Here's a link. I buy the lightest shade ("Fair") because my skin is super pale--not sure which shade you'd need, but I'm sure you'd find one that works for ya. I get it from Sephora, but apparently it's only 16.99 on Amazon! :)

http://www.amazon.com/Bare-Escentuals-bare...4335&sr=1-1

Also, if you're curious, this video might help:

She recommends using a specific set of steps in addition to a concealer.

I also have a similar method, and it covers pretty well too. (I have several scabs from acne too...)

- Add a thicker moisturizer to the scab or a hydrating primer - pat in the skin. Let it absorb for a bit.

- Conceal with a skin tone wax concealer - they usually come in sticks or pots. I use MAC Studiofinish. The trick is to dab it on, and to use just enough concealer - not too much , and blend around the scab.

- Add a creamy concealer on top - they usually come in pots or tubes. Make sure its a bit lighter than your skin tone. I use Laura Mercier Secret Concealer. Dab it in again.

- Set with a bit of finishing powder.

Generally, I find this has worked the best for me. Good luck!

Edited by adalyn

It is steep, but believe me when I say it's worth it! Haha. It lasts foreeeeeeeeeever. It takes such a tiny amount to cover. And that's why I like high end products like this- sometimes they really are worth the money. Even when I had tons of acne it lasted me months and months and months. Yes, just make sure you match your skin color perfectly and you will be good to go. :)

Love, love, love this stuff. Actually sent some to a friend overseas recently cuz I recommend it so highly. Just make sure your lotion is completely absorbed before use. I click it out into my palm and pat it on with my finger, grosses me out to touch non-washable brushes to my face.

You guys are amazing! Thanks for all the suggestions :) I have a feeling I'll be keeping myself quite busy... It's such a shame we don't have an Ulta here. And the nearest Sephora's an hour away. Thank goodness for ebay/amazon. Thanks again!

I know you have plenty of suggestions already but my fave is Stila Perfecting Concealer. Its like $20 for a tiny tube but I've had mine since July and have barely dented it - dense coverage from a TINY amount of product. I'm super pale and the fairest shade is pretty good...not perfect but acceptable. The color selection isn't great though, I'm lucky it matched me. If you want TONS of color selection (ie you have a hard to match complexion) I would go to Bobbi Brown or Make Up Forever. Bonus: Bobbi Brown and Stila don't test on animals :)

Love, love, love this stuff. Actually sent some to a friend overseas recently cuz I recommend it so highly. Just make sure your lotion is completely absorbed before use. I click it out into my palm and pat it on with my finger, grosses me out to touch non-washable brushes to my face.

me too!!! arghhh I hate when they do that! I'm like don't you realize that's DISGUSTING you can't wash the brush? I really want to get this urban decay mineral powder but it's got a permanent powder puff!! lol

Glamoflauge by Hard Candy has the best pigmentation I have ever found; drugstore or high end. The tube comes with a pencil concealer as well. I prefer the pencil only because my current breakouts are very small. For six bucks you really can't beat it. It's powerful enough to cover tattoos; you'd be cheating yourself if you didn't check it out.

Also good for dark circles; not cakey, but I never conceal my dark circles. Adds character, lol.

^hmmm. the reviews on makeupalley are not bad at all :) The ingredient list doesn't give me a panic attack, I may try this :lol:

I have recently come across a couple of concealers that are meant to treat acne as well. I started to use the Neutrogena concealer with salicylic acid in it (i believe its .5%) which seems like a little, but it seems to really work. what i found is that it has PRETTY good coverage, but its not exactly something i wana wear out bc it does what i want it to do, and that is dry out my acne. the plus side of that is my acne is drying up, the down side is that if i am out my face can get flaky. so i decided i only wear the neutrogena concealer like...at night sometimes or if I'm gonna be spending the night at peoples houses and i don't want to wear full on make up, but i don't want all my acne showing.

I also came across another concealer by AVON (the mark line) that is essentially the same thing, but with 2% SA. I find that the neutrogena one isn't harsh on my skin, so i wanted to see how the avon one works/covers and i will stick with the neutrogena one if it doesn't work well.

as a regular concealer when i go out day to day, though, i have been using an avon smooth minerals one, which i LOVE and it has great coverage, but they stopped making it. so I am now on a hunt for a new brand that works well, doesn't break me out, and is oil free, non com. etc. and also isn't super expensive for i am a full time college student only working part time, i need to save money where i can haha.