Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
collegestudent05

Born-Again Regimen Virgin

The regimen works!

I used it from January to the beginning of August, but then I got greedy and tried to take my clearing to "the next level" and tried Botchla's for about a week and half...BIG MISTAKE. I broke out terribly from Botchla's. I think that regimen, which is very similar to the ACNE CURE (a total crock of shit, I think that guy wrote a book specifically targeting the insecurities of acne sufferers because he realized how profitable it could be, ugh), is overly irritating, and more importantly, just plain ineffective to treat anything more severe than a basic zit. At this point I was desperate for a quick fix, as I'm going back to school in a few weeks. So, I decided to "re-virginize" myself as far as the regimen goes, and start all over again to see what good it could do. Man! I switched to Dan's just last Sunday, and it has basically cleared up almost everything that Botchla's brought up. At this rate, I should be almost totally clear in a week or so. Life is nice right now.

I'm writing this to briefly describe my experience with the regimen and perhaps offer some insight to those curious to maximize results. First, a little about me-I'm 21, and I have had acne probably for the past 3 years, usually of the mild-moderate type. It has gotten progressively worse since my freshman year of college. It has never been incredibly terrible, but I've gone through cycles of good and bad, and at my worst, I've definitely not wanted to leave my house or feel good about myself, so I consider that severe enough. As of late, my acne hasn't been inflammatory, just stubborn, persistent whiteheads and stuff of the non-inflammatory sort.

Through trial and error, here are a few things that I have found can affect the regimen, at least for me. Good luck for anyone starting out, and have faith, because the regimen really does work. Most of this you can get from Dan, or by watching his videos (which I HIGHLY recommend), but I try to get a little more specific here.

--The Purpose cleansing bar is SO much better than the Cetaphil liquid facewash. I don't know why, but my new regimen with purpose seems to be making my skin dramatically clearer and better looking than cetaphil ever did.

--You need to RUB the BP into your skin. RUB RUB RUB RUB RUB. Say it with me now. I really can't stress this enough. You should be taking a good 3-4 minutes or so after you apply the BP to your skin just to GENTLY rub it in. My first time around, I just slapped some BP and went on my merry way. Don't do this. If you want to get clear, then you need to commit yourself to getting clear.

--When applying BP to your entire face, split it up. I do the bottom half of my face first, and then the top half, because the BP will get dry and you won't be able to effectively rub it in if you are concentrating on your entire face. First things first.

--Moisturizing is almost as important as applying BP. I know alot of people say they don't need to moisturize, for whatever reason, maybe their skin isn't that dry or whatever, but in my opinion thats bull. I consider moisturizing a "pre-emptive strike," because if I moisturize, my skin won't get flaky now, or in a few days. The effects of BP tend to be delayed, so if you're not flaky now, you probably will be in a few days. If skin gets excessively flaky, and you just slab some moisterizer on it to treat the problem, all you have is a layer of products blocking dead skin. I think we all know what dead skin blockages lead to (shudder).

--Other people may disagree with this, but I think it may be a good idea to take periodic breaks from the regimen, say, every 2 months or so, IF you find that the regimen is working less effectively for you now than it did when you first started it. Towards the end of my first regimen run, I wasn't nearly as clear as I am now. Granted, my "break" lasted 1 1/2 weeks while i was on Botchla's, but I seem to be getting clearer now. I would suggest a break just be a week or so when you don't do anything to your skin. I know that if BP works it will always work, but I still think eventually your skin will build up a tolerance, and it will be necessary to take a break from it, then "shock" it back into submission. Just a thought.

--I may try to exfoliate, but just once a week. At the end of my first regimen run, I was getting alot of those really annoying small bumps that look like nothing from far away but are noticable up close and affect your skin texture. I've been told this is usually a result of dead skin buildup--clogged pores that aren't inflammatory acne, but are really annoying nonetheless. I think a mild exfoliation, once a week, is not a bad idea, to help rid your face of any excessive dead skin that may have accumulated (even with good moisturizing practices, this is inevitable). Does anyone have any suggestions for exfoliating products? I can make a recommendation for what NOT to use--Clean and Clear blackhead clearing scrub.

--I think after satisfactory clearing is acheived, BP application can be tweaked to maximize clearance and minimize application. This probably doesn't hold true for those with more severe cases of acne, but if your acne is mild or mild-moderate, I think that with a little trial and error you can find your optimal BP amount, which could be significantly less than you think you need. I'm currently in the process of finding the optimal combination for my face: medium application morning and night, or possibly just maximum application at night. We'll see.

That's it in a nutshell. Good luck to anyone considering the regimen, and, of course, thanks Dan.

I was thinking about taking a break from the regimen. My skin is clear and i have no acne. Should i stil use a cleanser and moisturizer, and leave out the BP ? Or just leave my face lone for a week?

I was thinking about taking a break from the regimen. My skin is clear and i have no acne. Should i stil use a cleanser and moisturizer, and leave out the BP ? Or just leave my face lone for a week?

Exfoliator:

The regimen using the Purpose soapand Dan's BP gel bar got me about 85-90% clear. However when I started using an exfoliating wash with SA every morning and night my skin texture improved and the rest of my acne was taken care of. In my opinion, bacteria is the main cause of 90% of acne while the other 10% is from clogged pores from dead skin cells, etc. I use St ives medicated Apricot scrub. Some people dont seem to like it, but it works fine for me. I moisturizer with Eucerin Skin Renewal.

St Ives fucks my skin up bad. hehe. I use Viche's exfoliator and its pretty good.

I also think that some poeple shouild take a break from the regimen. After my skin clears totally up right now, im going to take a break for a bit. My skin is defientely getting flakey though and i didnt moisturise at the beginning because it wasnt. Now I have to go out and buy a good moisturiser.

Whats the key incredient I should look for in a moistureiser guys?

Also this bar of soap you are talking about. Where do you all get it?

hey collegestudent I need some advice! school is starting up again in a couple weeks and I want to be clear for that. I was on the regimen before and it was working pretty well, but about 3 weeks ago I tried the Proactiv Solution. After about 3 weeks of using it my skin hasn't really improved, and yesterday I had a bit of a breakout. Do you think it just takes some time to work? or should I switch to the regimen right now before school? thanks.

I am also 21 and would like to share my experience on the regimen. I have been visiting this website for months, and kind of ho-hummed at the idea of the regimen. Just using BP? Yeah right! Well, I was using tea tree oil and jojoba, which is supposed to be just as good, but really it never got me clear. It did make my face healthier than my Retin-A (so glad I stopped using that!), but still there were breakouts. I have had moderate acne since I was about 12, and been on every prescription except Accutane. BP worked when I was about 14, but I didn't like how the Benzacyclin would appear in white patches on my face during the day (could have used Dan's BP back then!). So my derm switched me to Retin-A, and thus I condemned myself to 7 years on a precription with only marginal results. I've been on the regimen for only 3 weeks now, and I am abou 90% clear. Week 2, I had some breakouts, but in places where I usually don't have them. I freaked out for second, then realized it was exactly what the regimen described. Sure enough, those spots, which didn't even completely "blossom," were gone in less time than normal (2 days). And I have not had a problem again. I'm just waiting for a few small, stubborn zits on my cheeks to disappear. In the meantime, have not had a problem with dryness and my skin is baby soft. My only complaint is that my skin is slightly paler because of the bleaching effect of BP.

First of all, I used Neutrogena OTS, but after I worked up to a "full dose" of BP, I realized that it was going to be too white, like the Benzacyclin. So I ordered Dan's BP - it is wonderful and goes in quickly and invisibly - I highly recommend it!

I have given up on cleansers and have since become addicted to health food store beauty products. After I had a terrible reaction to Burt's Bees, I decided simple is better, so I switched to an all-natural, simple soap composed of vegetable glycerin and olive oil and Neem, an herb which is supposed to help fight acne. It is as gentle as they come. Though it might not have the cleaning power of, say, your favorite bathroom cleaner, ie Comet (like some OTC products seem to strive for), frankly, I have overcome my former desires to have a squeaky clean face - I think that might actually be harmful. Natural soaps have made my skin softer and healthier-looking. My lotion is almond-aloe by Earth Science, again, all-natural with great ingredients. I also use their bentonite clay mask, which I think, again, helps make my face soft and healthy-looking.

Just like the original poster, I would also like to start exfoliating, but I think salicylic acid is crap (at least on my skin). I used it for years with no results. I also think the Apricot Scrub is way too harsh. I would like to try a glycolic acid cleanser perhaps, because they are supposed to be gentle and very beneficial. Any recommendations?

Finally, a note about supplements: I went through all of that, with the herbs and the B5 and whatnot. The only thing that did anything noticeable was Flaxseed oil. In the winter, take a tablespoon each day, and your skin will look noticeably healthier (radiant and moisturized) - and that's ALL of your skin, not just your face. Unfortunately, flax seed oil is expensive and to me, the taste is terrible, so I try and get my EFAs from my diet.

This post was way too long, but I hope some people will find it helpful. And thanks Dan!

hey collegestudent I need some advice! school is starting up again in a couple weeks and I want to be clear for that. I was on the regimen before and it was working pretty well, but about 3 weeks ago I tried the Proactiv Solution. After about 3 weeks of using it my skin hasn't really improved, and yesterday I had a bit of a breakout. Do you think it just takes some time to work? or should I switch to the regimen right now before school? thanks.

Collegestudent.

Suggestions for exfoliators

If you want a once a week product you could try

Jasons Natural Pineapple and Papaya Mask - it uses papain ( a natural aha from papya) to add with peeling.

http://www.drugstore.com/qxp90274_333181_s...el_and_mask.htm

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showrev...al_Peel_&_Mask/

You could try an aspirin mask as well...the aspirin is chemically similar to cha and has some of the same effects

http://www.makeupalley.com/product/showrev...ed_Brand/Masks/

If you want something more frequent than one a week you could try...

bha solutions from Paulas Choice (basically they are better formulations than the otc stuff - no scent, colouring, alcohols etc etc.) Sage Skincare do a 4% solution which is meant to be good - but it is very expensive.

aha moistusier...ie:Eucerin Renewal. Works well for most people on the regimen. Goes well with the other meds. Provides a bit of exfoliation from lactic acid. Also has sunscreen.

also fyi: http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article....EFER=SKIN&ID=27

Frances, thanks for the info. Much appreciated. Have you ever used an aspirin mask? The reviews for it looked very good. How exactly does one go about preparing an aspirin mask, and do you think it is effective? Please let me know.

I think (but not sure) you need about 8-10 asprins, you mash up and mix with water or aloe.

here is a recipe:

http://swap.beverlys.net/aspirin.html

OR

You could PM Emmanuel (another board mod) and ask how she makes her asprin masks. She does them weekly I believe.

BTW - DO NOT USE IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO ASPIRIN. obvious - but these things have to be said. Good luck