Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AthleticHunta

Am I right when I say the majority of people on this picking forum are girls?.

It makes me think that picking may be somewhat hormonal. Somthing to do with the hormoans that are more i females usually than guys. My thoughts push me towards estrogen, and maybe possible BPAS in plastic that mimic estrogen in the bodies of girls and guys.

The reason I think there are a higher percentage of girls on this forum is that girls naturally have a much higher estrogen rates than guys.

Just a theory. I sometimes drink out of plastic, and drink soy milk opposed to almond. I wonder if this is why sometimes not picking seems almost impossible at times for me. Maybe it's the trigger?.

hrmmm well anyway. I'm gonna start eliminating As much bpas from my diet and see what happens.

I would love to hear you guys ring in with your thoughts. Thanks (:

Edited by AthleticHunta

Ive done so much research on skin picking in the past few years, and one thing That is coming to my mind is when I read on a detox forum for drugs, that people coming off of drugs would pick really bad, and they didn't know why.

So I looked up skin picking and hormones just now on google and was somewhat amazed to instantly find this.

http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.ph...-of-medication/

Not acne related, but in the same category... amazing, estrogen..estrogen is right there. was i right?.

Also other contributing factors are there aswell..

Edited by AthleticHunta

Ive done so much research on skin picking in the past year, and one thing That is coming to my mind is when I read on a detox forum for drugs, that people coming off of drugs would pick really bad, and they didn't know why.

So I looked up skin picking and hormones just now on google and was somewhat amazed to instantly find this.

Not acne related, but in the same category... amazing estrogen.. right there. was i right?.

Also other contributing factors are there..

Now I looked up adderall so i could see what it does to the brain. They say it increases norepinephrine in the brain.

So from here I looked up what norepinephrines association is with estrogen, and it says Estrogen enhances norepinephrine and serotonin in the brain.

So here is the ah-ha moment.

Drugs. they stimulate the brain to do more than it would naturally forcing it to work harder to produce hormones, then when the drug wears off, you often get a LOW from the drug. This is what a hang over is, your brain is exhausted from the alcohol and the next day can't perform as well as it should be at producing the chemicals your brain needs to feel good, so you feel bad.

This is what a stimulate is.

Now if to much Estrogen enhances norepinephrine and serotonin activity in the brain, now what is happening when we are drinking estrogen mimicking chemicals that leach into plastic bottles and or tap water everyday?.

Well one, I think the longer you take of something, the more of it you need to get the same high as originally, except until you get off whatever your taking for a long period of time and your brain can heal.

That and the fact that we are over stimulating these hormones and burning them out so we get lows at times.

I think this is why we pick at night. In the morning after good rest we slept, and we gave are brains time to heal, so we feel really refreshed.

But as the hours go by, and we are are stimulating are bodies, be it Bpas, soy milk, superscription and non prescription drugs, by the end of the day we start to feel like crap as the LOW begins to come in.. so what do we do?. We pick. Pick pick pick pick.

Now what is Norepinephrine?. It's released at the sight of stress to calm us down, to make normally none stressful situations, not stressful. So maybe the brain fails because it's tired.. burnt out, and or over stimulated and normally where a pimple is no big deal, we have no control, we destroy the pimple as if it was a stressful situation, and what is truecontrol?. I think It's, balanced hormones, and the understanding on what's right, and what's wrong.

Now I think there are a lot of contributing factors. caffeine, processed foods, water, drugs, allergies and other things that screw up are hormones.

I think this is a very interesting way to tackle this problem, and would love to get any thoughts you might have.

p.s Balancing hormones is about diet, hormones, amino acids, and the way you think. and so on.

Edited by AthleticHunta

More research.

Quotes from people I found on the net.

Note: CPS + compulsive skin picking

------------------------------------

"Well, I don't drink (sober for 2 years). But since I got sober my caffeine and sugar intake has quadrupled.

Actually so has my CSP. I think alcohol, being a depressant, plus the cocktail of drugs I used to do decreased my anxiety, thus decreased my CSP. "

--------------------------------------

"I picked a new doctor and I finally decided to come clean. He told me that it was more than likely that the Adderall that I've been taking has been causing me to maybe both break out with acne and to OCD a bit by not leaving it alone and making a bigger mess. He said the cure is to slightly increase my anti-depressant. So, I did, and guess what?"

---------------------------------------------

"My 12 year old daughter is being treated for depression, anxiety and ADHD. She is currently taking concerta (36mg), Paxil(37.5 mg) and clomipramine(75mg). She is constantly picking at her skin and scalp. It is very uncommon to see her not pickin"

One Sunday she forgot to take her medicine, and she didn't pick during church. When we returned home, I had her take the Concerta, then wait an hour to see if the picking returned. I noticed it after 40 minutes. I decided it must be the Concerta, and we visited our Doctor. He switched her to Adderall (adderrall) XD (20 mg)and we saw no difference in the skin picking. We have also tried Doxepin (10 mg) which was perscribed by our allergist. Doxepin made her a very dark and negative monster.

---------------------------------

Just a few.

Another great article imo.

http://blackpoppymag.wordpress.com/a-z-of-...d-skin-picking/

Hope this helps (: .

keep note this post is just about my on going research.

interesting post i read.

Coincidently, mood and stress levels are related to diet. Sure everyone gets stressed out over finals, traumatic incidents, etc. But a food sensitivity excaborates the stress we feel and sometimes is even the cause of the stress even though we place the blame on a situation/person/incident.

I have a friend who *always* became stressed out over any confrontation. We always assumed he was meek/peace-loving. He became visibly upset if he had to confront anyone -- even to tell someone, "You bumped my car." He also had IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). 10 years later, he found corn and soy were the cause of his IBS ---- and his anxiety also disappeared. He is as calm as a cucumber about confrontation now. But his anxiety also returns if he accidentally eats contaminated food.

Other people like this are Celiacs. They may not have ANY symptoms EXCEPT anxiety. They lose their tempers easily, they stress out over tiny details. I've seen quite a few Celiac nail-biters. Gluten and soy affects them within 2 hours of consumption. The SMALLEST contamination changes their moods.

So, it would be interesting to study how stress levels affect acne --- and how food affects their stress level. I've seen anxiety-ridden individuals become the CALMEST PEOPLE I have ever met by removing gluten or soy or corn from their diets. So I think that anyone who has a tendency for stress should really examine their diet. Their stress levels -- as you said -- may be linked to acne. And their diet may be the cause of their stress.