Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
glittergirl

accutane cumulative dose question

I was just wondering if anyone had taken a course of accutane and not reached their total cumulative dose of 150mg/kg. it's just that i'm considering stopping in a month or two, which will be about 25% short of my goal. What i wondered is this ..... if my skin got bad again ... and i went on accutane again .... would i only need to take the remainder of my cumulative dose to get clear again, like does it add up like that, that you can take it in two sections months apart if you like. hope that makes sense and that someone knows what i'm talking about.

thanx

GG

Err... the rest of your question makes sense (I think), but what do you mean by "total cumulative dose"? I could think of two ways to interpret that, and 150 mg/kg seems either waaay too high or waaay too low.

I'm pretty sure that if your skin got bad again, you'd have to take the full course all over again to fix it. I don't think it's cumulative or anything, unless maybe if you start up again before it gets very bad. According to my derm, you need to keep taking accutane for a while after you get clear in order for it to (possibly) be permanent.

Why are you thinking of stopping early, anyway? If it's just 'cause you're already clear, keep taking the accutane! If it's 'cause of side-effects, you might consider a longer lasting low-dose course of accutane. I've heard that some folks have had good results with that. *shrug*

No apparently they say that to get total remission you need to take 150mg of accutane per kg of your weight over the course of taking the drug (which is equal to 1mg/kg per day). so if i'm 60kg, i need to take 60mg a day until i reach 9,000mg (which would be 5 months on 60mg a day).

the total cumulative dose is 150mg/kg which is supposed to give permanent remission of acne.

so what i mean is if i only end up taking 6,500mg of that 9,000mg over the 6 months i'm on it would i then only need to top that up by the extra 2,500mg the second time i would go on it, sorry for the confusion but this is what i've read in dermatology articles, i just didnt explain it very well.

im thinking of stopping because of side effects (mainly to my lips and eyes). i've heard about the long term low dose thing, but i want off this stuff as soon as possible, i don't want to be on it for long periods of time even at low dose. i started off on 20mg a day and the effects were bad enuff on that so wouldn't want to put up with that for over a year!!!!!

exactly....

Umm, 25% short should not be a biggie. Your lips are a def. a bigger issue. My first course I couldn't finish because I didn't have enough insurance money left :/ I took 6,000mg.

p.s. 150mg to 1kg? Is it really that high? Last time I calculated my dosage it was about 9,500mg give or take, and I weigh 165 pounds (so I was 37% short). By using your calculations I'd need 10885mg (45% short blink.gif)

I got pretty good results... I mean, still get a few pimples but nothing worth crying about. I think you'll be cool. And yes, If you take another course you can "add" it on. I'm doing that -- in low dose form (10-20mg a day).

p.s. 150mg to 1kg? Is it really that high? Last time I calculated my dosage it was about 9,500mg give or take, and I weigh 165 pounds (so I was 37% short). By using your calculations I'd need 10885mg (45% short  blink.gif)