Notifications
Clear all

Does anyone find it okay to use topicals while on accutane?

MemberMember
(@sevin_nyne)

Posted : 02/17/2011 8:33 am

i have been using retin-a and duac for the last 4 months. My derm felt i wasnt getting the results she expected so she put my on accutane. she said it was okay for me to continue with the topicals but this morning (my 3rd day on accutane) my face felt like it was on fire and was red. is that irritation? and should i stop with both the retin-a and duac?

MemberMember
(@theamericanswede)

Posted : 02/17/2011 11:36 am

i have been using retin-a and duac for the last 4 months. My derm felt i wasnt getting the results she expected so she put my on accutane. she said it was okay for me to continue with the topicals but this morning (my 3rd day on accutane) my face felt like it was on fire and was red. is that irritation? and should i stop with both the retin-a and duac?

I am using aberela (retin-a) ever night on my face, doctors orders to imrpove my skin texture, large pores and smalls carring. However, I apply it and 20 minuter later I put a moisturizer on. I assume it is only worth using retin-a if you are looking to improve your skin texture, not to speed up the process to remove active acne.

MemberMember
(@sevin_nyne)

Posted : 02/17/2011 4:43 pm

you are applying the retin-a while on accutane?

MemberMember
(@theamericanswede)

Posted : 02/18/2011 10:17 am

you are applying the retin-a while on accutane?

yes, according to my doctor's order. vitamin-a cream has proven to help imrpove skin with marks, scarring and large pores. while on accutane he says it has even better effect. however, I apply moisturizer with that. Been doing it properly for 4 weeks now, too early yet, he says I probably will need to continue for a couple months. Read a NY. Times article regarding this, they said something about at least 12 weeks.

MemberMember
(@sevin_nyne)

Posted : 02/18/2011 10:57 am

oh, interesting. i think my skin is too sensitive cuz my skin would be really red and burn. so im not applying anything to my face. this morning i tried an alpha hydroxy toner that my derm gave me again yet again, red and burning. so i think it's best i apply nothing except lotion.

MemberMember
(@megan2010)

Posted : 02/18/2011 11:16 am

I guess it's okay. My derm personally said I could keep using my Epiduo "if my skin could handle it" but from what you're saying it kinda sounds like it's just irritating your skin..definitely apply moisturizer before & maybe a little bit after you apply the retin-a, that stuff is harsh. I couldn't even use it when I wasn't on accutane! and maybe let your skin have time to recover by applying it only every other day? IDK, it's all up to you! I could definitely use topicals now that I'm 4 months into my treatment but there is no way my skin could have handled it in the beginning. I think your dosage plays a part too, if you're low dose your skin should tolerate it better.

MemberMember
(@sevin_nyne)

Posted : 02/18/2011 11:22 am

hey megan2010 thanks for the response. my derm did say "if my skin can handle it" lol and i dont think my skin can. it's still red even after i applied mositurizer. :( and it stays red. im on 40mg so i dont know if thats a small dose of the right does. she just prescribed me that much so i dont know.

MemberMember
(@pinkpeppermint)

Posted : 04/20/2016 3:41 pm

weird how my doctor was so vague with duac and accutane together. well she was vague and i felt sort of rushed through the whole accutane process anyway. anyway she only said that my skin will dry out so change moisturisers and cleansers. i guess just use the topical products at your own risk. i myself cannot handle the massive numerous initial breakouts so i only do it when it is unbearable and it seems to be working fine. i am on 20mg and i weigh 54kg.

MemberMember
(@viseslav-tonkovic-capin)

Posted : 04/20/2016 7:31 pm

3 hours ago, pinkpeppermint said:

weird how my doctor was so vague with duac and accutane together. well she was vague and i felt sort of rushed through the whole accutane process anyway. anyway she only said that my skin will dry out so change moisturisers and cleansers. i guess just use the topical products at your own risk. i myself cannot handle the massive numerous initial breakouts so i only do it when it is unbearable and it seems to be working fine. i am on 20mg and i weigh 54kg.

Usually no any other acne medicine is recommended while on Accutane, but it is up to you and your doctor to decide.
Best!

Vise

MemberMember
(@icogito)

Posted : 04/20/2016 8:55 pm

My derm recommended Aquaderm- I hated it...so I kept using CeraVe- which he also "okayed" for me. Besides the ones he did approve, I did my research and used Hyaluronic Acid serum ( check out Amazon for that) , Aloe Gel (pure, organic) and Neosperin( for the initial break outs) while on Accutane. I had 2 rounds of Accutane. Message me if you want any recommendations on chapped lips. haha Those were the worse!!

MemberMember
(@jazzguy)

Posted : 04/20/2016 8:55 pm

epiology creamis a suitable topical for complementary use while on Accutane.