Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mia1984

My cure for acne ...and now it's yours! No more chemicals, no more pricey products!

I had had acne and blackheads since early teen age on my face, back, chest and shoulders. I'm now 26 and my cure was sea salt, so I'm hoping it will help others too.

BEFORE YOU START, your choice of salt must be:

Sea salt, unrefined, obtained by natural evaporation. It may be a little wet, which usually means it has not been over processed. It may be white or a bit 'dirty' looking. I actually started with a quite common Costa Fine Sea Salt (UK).

THE RECIPE:

Half teaspoon (tsp) sea salt into appx 300ml warm water (not hot, but more than luke warm).

TIMING:

Drink your salt water solution quickly at least 1.5 hrs after your last meal at bed time. If you do it after brushing teeth, it will even taste a bit sweet. But you will get used to it anyway.

When I say drink it quickly; consume within a minute or so.

WHAT WILL HAPPEN and WHEN:

- Next morning, your skin should feel greasy and a tiny little bit smoother. If it doesn't feel greasy, put slightly more salt in the water next time, but beware, because too much will give you diarrhea (or make you vomit), so that's not good either. Half tsp should be perfect, but one whole is way too much. Try to find the quantity that suits your body best.

- You will also get some white heads starting from day 3/4 and they will be coming for a week or so. They are typically small, easy to pop (make sure your face and hands are properly cleaned if you do that!!). They heal quite quickly; quicker than the ones you had before you started the remedy.

These white heads will eventually stop coming, so don't worry.

- You might experience some (or perhaps more) peeling on your face in the first week. This should go away within a few days. You may want to remove dead skin with a gentleface scrub.

- Your skin tone should start looking more even after just a few days. If not in a few days, you probably have a more serious condition, but as long as you notice some changes mentioned above, keep doing it!

HOW OFTEN:

So if you did everything right, you will get the greasy feeling. Do it every day for the first 1-2 weeks and then you can do every second day. After several weeks, you might find every 4 days is enough for you, test it for yourself. In a couple of weeks, you will see how long it will take to be acne free!

YOUR OLD ACNE:

It will take some time for the existing acne to clear and the fresh scars to heal, but you will not get more. It won't make scars disappear, but this remedy cured my acne all over my affected areas! Even the urge to squeeze spots will go away, because the itch will be gone and there will be nothing to squeeze.

HOW DO YOU KNOW IF IT HELPS:

Try, if you don't feel any change in one week, it probably won't help. I'm not saying it will cure you in a week, but you would definitely see some result and be able to decide whether to continue or not.

WARNINGS:

Follow my instructions exactly. If you experience any side effects not mentioned above, stop doing it! I only write this down, because it worked like a miracle on my skin and I want to share it to help others! I don't know whether it could be harmful to some individuals; anyone should follow my suggestion at their own risk.

IMPORTANT!

Make sure you drink plenty of water during the day, because you don't want salt to get too concentrated in your body cells ...even though this quantity is not supposed to be harmful.

EDIT

MORE WARNINGS

Some people told me here that salt water can kill you. IT IS TRUE! So please, do NOT drink salt water instead of clear water and you MUST drink plenty of water (without salt) during the day!

Further advice:

- Do NOT use more salt, than recommended above.

- Decrease the quantity of the salt if it previously gave you diarrhea or you vomited.

- If you have any side effects, not mentioned above, stop drinking salt water and consult your doctor.

- As said before, one tsp salt is way too much. Never use more than that.

- IT IS RECOMMENDED TO SPEAK TO A PHYSICIAN BEFORE YOU USE THIS REMEDY. Especially those with existing health issues, if you are pregnant or your daily intake of salt is above average.

- I recommend a healthy and balanced diet, even if you do not use this remedy.

RECOMMENDED DAILY SALT INTAKE

Please find recommendation by the Food Standards Agency here, on page 4:

http://www.food.gov.uk/multimedia/pdfs/nutguideuk.pdf

Good luck!

Edited by mia1984

Just some more info about me to help you determine whether this cure is good for you.

I am not diabetic, have no heart problems nor blood pressure problems, not even since I do this salt water cure, although people say, salt is bad for blood pressure.

I do have and always had migraine headaches (hormonal). Saltwater has not changed anything.

My body weight index is 24. Not very active, office worker.

Salt has many other benefits, but I won't go into it. If you google 'benefits of saltwater', you will find more info.

If saltwater helps you, you might need to permanently stick to it, although not as frequently as in the beginning. When I stopped using the remedy after I first declared myself cured, I started getting acne again. So get used to it!

Edited by mia1984

haha, doesn't drinking salt water act as a laxative?

Haha, it does if you don't follow my instructions! :naughty::)

When I first did saltwater, I did it as a two week detox cure recommended to me by a friend of mine (like to try different natural remedies). That is 1 litre warm water with about 1 tbsp sea salt, first thing in the morning. This is indeed a laxative, definitely not recommended for longer than 1-2 weeks, and not more than once every 3 months.

I suppose it did clean me up, but it also had an amazing side effect: NO ACNE!

Day 1 of trying this, and just wanted to complain about how much I hate the taste of salt water. Blech.

Also dibs this spot, will report back in the morning!

EDIT 1 - First morning after trying this:

Skin was really greasy, and still a few white heads formed. Will keep editing as my week goes.

EDIT 2 -

Same thing as yesterday, though I had less new breakouts this morning.

Edit/DAY 3 -

Not much new, my skin started peeling extremely bad, though its most likely from using too much retin-a

Edit 4 - The peeling's gone already, and the skin seems healthier

edit 5(3 days since last edit, 8 days of using this so far): There's still some acne left, and I'm still getting lots of blackheads, but other than that my skin feels moist, smooth, and has an even color.

Edited by capslocked

This sounds like it's worth trying. If you eat an otherwise healthy (and low sodium) diet, I don't think half tsp of salt per day would hurt you.

Interesting... I do know the external sea salt is good for your skin. I use H2O sea derived products which contains sea salt. It is by far the best skin care products I've ever tried, addressing issues I didnt even realize I had - lack of moisture. I didnt realize I need moisture because my skin was always so oily. But the esthetician explained that moisture and oil overlap somewhat but are two different things. She said you can have oily skin and still need moisture. My skin is actually less oily now than I have every been (well with the exception of the 6 months while on Accutane and the 6 to 8 months after I stopped treatment).

Anyhow... I think I may try this out if my new current regimen fails me.

To capslocked:

Happy to hear that my remedy had some kind or result. I had the same symptoms, so you should be OK in 2-4 weeks. When your skin clears, decrease the quantity of salt to say every other day.

Indeed, the taste is... well, salty. But it doesn't seem so bad to me anymore. Don't forget to drink plenty of water too during the day! That will also help your skin and won't let salt to be too concentrated in your body. Anyway, my diet is usually quite poor in salt, so dont_do_it is probably right about half tsp cannot really hurt!

The greasiness won't be always that bad. I think it's just a sign that all the bad stuff is coming out. First few days or couple of weeks will not make spots go away, in fact, you will see a few more coming. I suppose it's because your skin is still has to get rid of the dirt and toxins. And then even those few will go away.

Keep it up!

Will anything in my current Regimen stop this from working? I take a lot of vitamins/supplements (Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Fish Oil, and an Apple Cider Vinegar tablet). I also spot treat acne with BP 2.5% and apply Apple Cider Vinegar and Cetaphil moisturizer to my face.

ok I feel crazy/stupid for trying this but I am anyways. Just had one 1/2 tsp and 300mL of warm water like you said. I'm going to try this for a week I think just for fun.

also we didn't have any sea salt, just kosher salt or plain iodized salt. I went with the iodized b/c there's not much kosher left.

OP: did you have any diarrhea or anything while using this?

Hi,

I've found that salt water tremendously helps with my acne. I used to live on the Gold Coast, Australia. Since leaving I've found my acne has become more vigorous or when I hadn't gone to the beach for a few weeks.

I'm not entirely sure about drinking salt water hahaha but I know that a swim at the beach helps me.

ok I feel crazy/stupid for trying this but I am anyways. Just had one 1/2 tsp and 300mL of warm water like you said. I'm going to try this for a week I think just for fun.

also we didn't have any sea salt, just kosher salt or plain iodized salt. I went with the iodized b/c there's not much kosher left.

OP: did you have any diarrhea or anything while using this?

No diarrhea or vomiting. But that could happen if you put too much salt in the water!

Kosher salt is not good for you. It should be sea salt, because that has important minerals in it. You should rather wait until you can get a good quality sea salt.

Good luck!

Will anything in my current Regimen stop this from working? I take a lot of vitamins/supplements (Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin E, Fish Oil, and an Apple Cider Vinegar tablet). I also spot treat acne with BP 2.5% and apply Apple Cider Vinegar and Cetaphil moisturizer to my face.

You are taking a lot!! I tried taking multivitamins with minerals, I also tried ACV (as it is, in water), but that didn't work for me.

I guess it shouldn't affect the salt, but I'm NOT a medical expert! This is just something worked for me and shared it.

DON'T FORGET TO HYDRATE DURING THE DAY! Minimum eight glasses of water a day.

Day 1 of trying this, and just wanted to complain about how much I hate the taste of salt water. Blech.

Skin was really greasy, and still a few white heads formed. Will keep editing as my week goes.

EDIT 2 -

Edit/DAY 3 -

Not much new, my skin started peeling extremely bad, though its most likely from using too much retin-a

My skin was not peeling when I did mine. Better be careful, although it could be part of the healing process. Does your skin below seem healthy?

Edited by mia1984

eating sea salt to cure acne is ridiculous...Nothing you eat or do not eat causes acne....Just stick to the regimen folks its really quite simple...

eating sea salt to cure acne is ridiculous...Nothing you eat or do not eat causes acne....Just stick to the regimen folks its really quite simple...

Oh, really?? You are telling me who tried it and it helped? :)

ignorance is bliss hey french? if u stop putting acid's and alkaline's all over ur face u will see an improvement.

salt is a kind of "disinfectant"... cleansing your system but be careful not to consume too much :)

this will not however cure acne for the population as diet really is the key as many of you can read in the many post's found on here.

by all means this may help improve on ur "current" skin condition:)

Aliass's guide to significantly IMPROVING your acne., 12 Steps to improving your acne.

^^^ that is a very good guide to "curing" acne as such

good luck peeps

Edited by hiller1988

Guest DireStraits

Theres something about salt which makes my skin look better ie when i goto the beach or swim at the local pool.

Mia-what happened when you used salt externally on your skin though?

EDIT 2 -

Edit/DAY 3 -

My skin was not peeling when I did mine. Better be careful, although it could be part of the healing process. Does your skin below seem healthy?

The peeling stopped after only a day, which is strange, but yes it seems to be a lot healthier.

Theres something about salt which makes my skin look better ie when i goto the beach or swim at the local pool.

Mia-what happened when you used salt externally on your skin though?

Hi DireStraits,

I have the same experience on the beach, but at home it didn't have the same effect on me.

I used to wash my face with salt. I kept a small cup by the bathtub with salt and water in it, just enough to cover the salt. I took a pinch every time and used it as a skin scrub on my face (gently). I think it helped my skin, but wasn't aggressive enough. Also, drinking salt seems to help with my eczema, but scrubbing it on other parts of my body actually triggered a breakout.

If you really want to use a face scrub, I would use salt, so that you put something natural on your face instead of some chemicals. Otherwise, if you drink the saltwater, it's so powerful that you won't need anything else.

I'd say a light salty bath is best for relaxing.

EDIT 2 -

Edit/DAY 3 -

The peeling stopped after only a day, which is strange, but yes it seems to be a lot healthier.

Yay! I really hope that my recipe will do even more for you!!

When I first posted my remedy on this forum, I wasn't sure if my case was unique due to the lack of some minerals in my body.

By the way, flying doesn't have a good affect on my skin, even under this treatment. By the time I get off the plane, I get 2-3 spots. They go away in a few days ...until the next flight. haha

Managed to post something twice, but don't know how to delete the duplicate...

Edited by mia1984

Just for extra info as you 'can' get sick (possibility of death) if this is done wrong.

Mixing salt in water creates a hypertonic solution in which H2O is pumped out of cells (in organic creatures) causing them to dry out and obviously without water organic creatures die from dehydration.

By excessively pumping out water, your kidneys will filter it from the circulatory system into waste and therefore give you the runs :naughty: not a good experience.

But under controlled activities it can kill harmful bacteria by creating the said hypertonic solution as said above which will kill it.

I've started doing this as well as soaking my face in salt water (sea salt obviously haha) and have seen an improvement, unless I start touching them :|. Can't help it. haha

Just for extra info as you 'can' get sick (possibility of death) if this is done wrong.

Mixing salt in water creates a hypertonic solution in which H2O is pumped out of cells (in organic creatures) causing them to dry out and obviously without water organic creatures die from dehydration.

By excessively pumping out water, your kidneys will filter it from the circulatory system into waste and therefore give you the runs :naughty: not a good experience.

But under controlled activities it can kill harmful bacteria by creating the said hypertonic solution as said above which will kill it.

I've started doing this as well as soaking my face in salt water (sea salt obviously haha) and have seen an improvement, unless I start touching them :|. Can't help it. haha

Hey xXAnonymousXx,

You are probably right, so people better be careful. Some tend to take more than suggested thinking it may give faster results. As long as they don't take more than half(ish) teaspoon and hydrate during the day, they will be fine.

You see, I'm still alive :) ...and must say, not health concerns whatsoever.

The urge to touch your spots will go away, so don't worry about that. When there will be nothing to touch :)

Edited by mia1984