Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
possiblyHopeful

Calamine for red marks: who has tried it?

Posted

I've been using it for about a week and a half, and I am honestly really suprised with the results. Has anybody else tried it? I've these red marks for MONTHS and honestly this calamine lotion has done more than emu oil, vitamin E cream, and alllll of that.

Posted

Wow, I'm going to have to give this a try....

Thanks for the idea!

Posted

Did you have an initial breakout when you started using it?

Considering trying it after reading but I really don't want to break out anytime soon.

Posted
Wow, I'm going to have to give this a try....

Thanks for the idea!

No worries!

Did you have an initial breakout when you started using it?

Considering trying it after reading but I really don't want to break out anytime soon.

I know where you're coming from. I didn't get any initial break outs, possibly because I'm nearly finished with accutane. Having said that though, if you do a search up the top for 'calamine lotion', it's got pretty amazing reviews (4/5/5, I think it is). If I were you, the next pimple you get, just dab a bit onto the pimple. It's suppose to dry things up quiiiiickly. If you see a change over night, I'd use it on all the red marks you've got.

Good luck!

Posted

I'm a regular calamine user. My (Chinese ) doctor in Beijing recommended me to put calamine on my red marks. I started using calamine when my skin was at its worst and I didn't get any initial break outs. I love the feeling of it, it's so soothing! But the most important thing is it helps make my red marks less prominent.

It's also really helpful when you have active acne. Just dab a bit of calamine onto a whitehead and the whitehead will dry out within 2-3 days. It also works on pimples with no head.

I'm still using calamine. In the morning I put calamine on my face and in the evening before I go to bed I remove it and use Differin instead. Downsides of calamine are: it's really chalky, makes your face white and it's hard to remove.

But it's worth it. Calamine is different than any other topical I ever encountered.

Posted (edited)

Just covered my whole face in it, hoping I'll see some improvement.

How many times a day do you apply it to your face?

Edited by Symmetry

Posted

Ive been using it 2 or sometimes 3 times a day at the moment.

Posted

I like it.I havent had any major breakouts,a few new zits appearing but other than that it seems to keep it under control.

It also seems to be fading my red marks,Not as quickly as the acv that i stopped using to try calamine but its all good.

For the price and ease of use I would really recommend it.Mines also had zinc oxide which i believe helps the red marks-Not sure if they all have it...

Posted

Yeah mine has it to. It shirnks the pimples but dries up the skin!!!!

Posted

is it ok to use calamine during the day and during the night? or would that be too much? like i'd wash my face in the morning and put calamine on..so it'll be on my face throughout the day. and then at night, wash my face again and then apply calamine right before i go to bed so it'll be on my face while i sleep. and then repeat it again the next day.

Posted

Calamine is zinc oxide and iron oxide, so yes they would all have it.

Posted (edited)

I had another major breakout about 3 weeks ago and after reading this thread i thought i would try this one out. I have been using it on and off for about a week and half now. It does dry up the spots after a day or two but i also find that i was getting new spots near the same area (maybe too drying?). I only use the lotion on the spots and not the entire face. I put it on the spots at night because i find it too drying during the day and i would rather use a moisturiser. So far, i think it has helped me clear up my spots and the red marks are fading.

Edited by svlady

Posted

I'm definitely glad it seems to be working for some. Sadly for me I think it was temporary. It helped majorly with just general redness, though. I've stopped using the calamine lotion, and my red marks are still there, not sure if they've improved.

:think:

Posted

i just came back from the dermatologist and he told me to don't even bother with the calamine cause it's only used for itching. im kinda bummed though cause i've used the calamine for just a couple weeks and i thought it seemed to be helping my face. but he says that the red bumps that i have are papules..and he says calamine won't help with those. so i guess i have to go back to prescription creams

Posted
i just came back from the dermatologist and he told me to don't even bother with the calamine cause it's only used for itching. im kinda bummed though cause i've used the calamine for just a couple weeks and i thought it seemed to be helping my face. but he says that the red bumps that i have are papules..and he says calamine won't help with those. so i guess i have to go back to prescription creams

If the calamine is working for you don't listen to your derm. I think there are a lot of products which aren't designed for acne/scars but still work better than ones that are.

Posted

If the calamine is working for you don't listen to your derm. I think there are a lot of products which aren't designed for acne/scars but still work better than ones that are.

yeah i think im gonna keep using the calamine til the end of the month at least just to see if i keep getting better results.

my derm sorta seemed mad when i told him i started to use calamine cause it got positive reviews on here. he was like "are these people on the website professional experts? how do you know they're not lying or whatever". and then he said "if some stranger walks up to you and says he has something that will clear up your acne, would you take it? no. because you don't know who he is, what he does, etc etc".

Posted

yeah i think im gonna keep using the calamine til the end of the month at least just to see if i keep getting better results.

my derm sorta seemed mad when i told him i started to use calamine cause it got positive reviews on here. he was like "are these people on the website professional experts? how do you know they're not lying or whatever". and then he said "if some stranger walks up to you and says he has something that will clear up your acne, would you take it? no. because you don't know who he is, what he does, etc etc".

I can't believe he said that! Lol! This is effectively a support group for ppl with acne and though I guess there's ppl trying to market products on here mostly it's just ppl sharing ideas and helping eachother. No one really gains from reccommending calamine lotion if it doesn't work... I've had more help from here than any doc I've seen :dance:

Posted

Which type of Calamine are you talking about? I did a Google search and a bunch of different types and brands popped up.

Posted

Calamine lotion is an effective spot treatment but its effects are only temporary. It will not fix the real problem. It is messy too. I gave up on it after awhile. It did not do anything for my hyperpigmentation.

Posted

I stopped using Calamine lotion now since most of my spots are cleared up now. When i broke out over a month ago my face was really red and itchy and the lotion seem like the best thing to use. I tried to use emu oil but it only seem to make it worse. I think the lotion is only good for shrinking spots/pores, and itchness and nothing eles. I'm back to using OCM now as i think it will get rid of my red marks quicker.

Posted

Finished my bottle yesterday.At first I thought it was great but it didnt stop me breaking out and it was always along my jawline which Ive not had a problem with for years and they were giant.

Never had this problem since I started using it so I wont be buying another bottle yet until I find out if it was the cause.

Posted

oooh guys am still confused which to choose ?

zinc oxide cream or calamine lotion ?

i've been suffering from acne for 11 years from now .. and what's bothering me is the Red SCARS !!