Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
freeway

how i severely reduced my acne- for free

I'm hoping this info might help others. I have tried many products over the years to stop my cystic acne. Mine is hormonal, so I used to regularly have massive breakouts around my period (sorry to the guys who don't like that word), not to mention smaller breakouts here and there.

Let's see, I've done the antibiotics, which worked but I didn't want to take for the rest of my life. I've done accutane, which worked temporarily, and I've done proactiv, which kinda worked but not really. I've tried different kinds of soap, without harmful ingredients, etc, etc. I have tried being vegan, vegetarian, and now I only eat fish as far as the whole eating animals thing goes. I have always been a chocoholic to so that should be mentioned. I have tried not eating chocolate before and that doesn't really seem to have huge affects.

So here's my "how i reduced my acne" story:

First, I decided to stop using all of those fancy soaps for "sensitive skin," which seemed to be doing more damage than good. I stopped using soap altogether (on my face only). All I use to wash my face now are those cheap, slightly rough wash clothes and scrub all of the dead skins cells off. I do that twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. I kept using face lotion with spf in the morning, one of the hypoallergenic, oil-free ones. At night I stopped putting anything on my face. Doing this actually seemed to help, and I was spending less money because I don't have to buy fancy soap. No acne products to buy either.

Shortly after I started that, one day I was talking to my friend, who is a Preschool Teacher. Somehow we got on the subject of Soymilk. She told me she wouldn't feed her kid soymilk because the kids in her preschool who were given soymilk were growing pubic hairs. I was like what!? I have been eating tofu and drinking soymilk since I can remember. I looked into it further and found info that soy has high levels of estrogen in it, and that's why they recommend for women in menopause. So I decided to stop eating all soy products and see what happened. After about a month, I had my first period in years with no cramps at all. My acne seemed to be less but I still wasn't sure. The no-cramp-period was worth it though so I decided that I wouldn't be eating soy anymore. So by the next month I had only minimal breakouts, and since then I still only have minimal breakouts. Compared to maybe 20 cysts, I now have 1 or 2 around my period, and I get some of the tiny bumps here and there. It's like day and night for me. I'll take a few bumps compared to what I used to go through.

So that's pretty much all I did. My new goal is to get rid of it completely, so I have significantly reduced my chocolate intake in the past couple of weeks, and I have started eating 1 cup of plain yogurt in the mornings. This actually seems to be helping too, but nothing has been more significant that the removal of soy from diet.

I know that not everyone who has acne eats soy, but I do think that if you have cystic acne, you have to consider that you might have a hormonal imbalance. I don't eat any animals besides fish, so I don't know what, if any, affects meat may have had on my hormones with all the hormones they pump into animals these days. Also, from my experience I don't think any product can do much to really help unless you want to take if for the rest of your life. I don't prefer that. You also could have some sort of allergy which causes you to be off balance so it's worth it to try to find that out.

These are just my opinions and my experience, but I hope this can help someone. If it does, I'll send out updates on how the chocolate-removal and yogurt-intro goes...

Thanks!

I find soy really strange. Why did someone find a bean in china - grind it up and decide to put it in nearly every ready made food. The only thing i eat regularly that contains it is bread. Idk how much it contains, but do you think i would have success in trying to limit it. im a dud btw. :P

honestly I'm not sure, but it doesn't hurt to reduce your bread intake. I was willing to try anything. My theory is if it doesn't hurt why not try it? People have mentioned the yeast/acne link here in other posts. I've thought about that possible connection before too. I've heard that eating plain yogurt with more than one type of culture in it once a day is supposed to be good at preventing an over-abundance of yeast. I actually tried the yogurt once a day thing before I stopped soy and it seemed to work for a little while, but clearly soy was my biggest problem.

I should add that age matters. If your going through puberty or anything like that you're definitely going to have some hormonal imbalances going on. Obviously not everyone who's going through puberty has acne, but it's way more likely to happen during that period of life. I'm 35 and have been struggling with acne since I was 18 years old. I only happened upon the soy info last year, so this has been a real break-through for me.

i can relate... i ate cereal or drank milk everyday.. i stopped and lowered other diary products and my acne reduced alottt almost a whole clear face... milk has too many hormones.. by the way i drank 2% milk