Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ms. Fitness

Will Jojoba Oil break me out?

I have been reading posts where alot of people using jojoba oil broke out. I just started using it a couple days ago, but have now stopped because I am so scared it will cause a breakout. it took me a longtime to get my skin clear, and it is now completely clear do to my diet and taking certain vitamins and herbs. I don't wanna use it if it will cause my skin to purge. I hear the skin benefits are amazing, then I hear it will break me out. Please give any feedback anyone. let me know if it broke you out or not.

Thanks! :D

When I first tried Jojoba oil as moisturizer, it broke me out. So I stopped using it for awhile and just used it for my hair. But then I kept reading about Jojoba oil being good for healing your acne, so once again I was tempted to try it. And so I did. But this time I didn't use it as my after-wash moisturizer like before. What I do now is I add 5 drops of jojoba oil to my honey mask, put it on my face and leave it there for a good 15 mins, wash with warm water. So far so good. Been doing it for a month now. Hasn't broken me out or anything, it also keeps my skin moisturized and soft. You can try adding Jojoba oil to your masks and see if it works for you as well. :]

Goodluck~

I've been using jojoba as a twice-daily moisturizer for almost a week now, and although I have had a minor breakout this week, I'm not going to attribute it to the jojoba right away. I actually changed my entire regimen to make it all-natural (and I mean my ENTIRE regimen, both external and internal) so it's possible that my skin is just adjusting to the change. If you're really curious about what it might do for you, you could always add an extra shield of protection by adding an essential oil that's anti-microbial and perhaps anti-inflammatory. Lavender oil has a lot of great benefits, but the aroma is way too strong for me. I love tea tree oil, though -- it's an awesome anti-microbial--so I put 5 drops of tea tree in 1 oz of jojoba oil, and I've been using that twice a day. My breakout is subsiding (for the time being--like I said, it's only been a little less than a week), and I accumulate much less oil on my face than I did. If you decide to try jojoba again, make sure to give us an update! :)

--Ella

dont risk it!! it broke me out!! i tried it 3 times and each time it did

Yeah, the problem with trying any new product is that no one thing will have the same effect on everyone. @Angel1982: Totally up to you, but I'd try it again for a while. If you are among those whose skin can't tolerate it, then you'll know not to use it anymore. And if it ends up working well for you, awesome! My two cents :) And keep in mind that a little goes a long way! I don't usually need more than 6-8 drops at a time, but my skin has been really dry due to benzoyl peroxide, so that may be too much for you. Trial and error, I suppose.

Edited by Ella12

Sometimes when I use it overnight (especially after a long shower and my pores are opened up), I'll wake up and my skin will look awesome; smooth, glowing, and healthy. It's never given me breakouts (seems to do the opposite, but if you're getting breakouts anyway, jojoba oil probably won't stop it), but I'd just try using it overnight after a long shower, bath, or steaming. It can really improve the texture and healthy appearance of your skin.

I've heard cook things about coconut oil too. I wouldn't use vitamin E oil even though people recommend it; jojoba has a lot of vitamin E in it.

Edited by treefase93

I didn't like the jojoba oil mixed with my moisturizer because it made my skin look and feel greasy, but I love to use 6 drops on my face immediately after washing or taking a shower. The dampness left over on your skin will be drawn into your skin and because it's a carrier oil, it will help your moisturizer absorb more readily into your skin as well. I had really bad peeling and flaking for the first 3 weeks on the regimen (even while mixing the jojoba oil into the moisturizer) until I did the oil after washing thing. It was the only thing that helped heal my skin. Good luck!

Small bumps are forming below my mouth, on my forehead and nose. I am unsure that it is due to the jojoba oil; I am now going to only use jojoba oil in my facewash, and also after my shower at 5pm.

For me, jojoba oil is what kept me from quitting the Regimen. 3 months in, my face was clear, but it was so insanely dry and NOTHING seemed to help. The flaking was almost more embarrassing and uncomfortable than my mild-moderate acne. Jojoba was a last resort and I'm so glad I tried it. My skin feels so much better now- it's clear AND it's not flaking nearly as much. I'm still a little dry in places, but in just one use, the flakiness decreased by 80%. I use it immediately after cleansing and then 2-3 drops in the moisturizer. It does make my skin look greasy AT FIRST, but it absorbs in the skin after 5 min. I've been doing this for 3 weeks and have had no breakout problems. My skin has also been less oily now and it also just looks healthier. It almost glows. Can't say enough about this stuff. Can't live without it.

I have been reading posts where alot of people using jojoba oil broke out. I just started using it a couple days ago, but have now stopped because I am so scared it will cause a breakout. it took me a longtime to get my skin clear, and it is now completely clear do to my diet and taking certain vitamins and herbs. I don't wanna use it if it will cause my skin to purge. I hear the skin benefits are amazing, then I hear it will break me out. Please give any feedback anyone. let me know if it broke you out or not.

Thanks! :D

I know how scary it can be reading all of the different reviews on a particular product and how it has worked for some and not for others. That was how I was when I tried Dan Kern's AHA. Everyone raved about it and the reviews were fantastic. I tried it and it broke me out horribly within the first few days of trying it. I don't use it anymore.

You won't know if a product works for you until you try it. If you use it and find that it doesn't work, just stop using it. Like I said, I was using the AHA and it broke me out. I stopped using it and my face went back to normal within a week or so.

I personally absolutely love jojoba oil and have been using it for 5 years. I remember trying to figure out if I should use it because the same off/on reviews were around these forums back then too. I gave it a try and it is the only thing that keeps my skin nice and flake-free.

If you have dry skin or just want that extra glow, give it a try. If you find that it breaks you out, just stop using it or use a small amount. The key is to start small and add as you go. When I first started using jojoba oil, I used 3 drops in my lotion for my face twice a day. I now use 6 drops on my face twice a day.

It took my skin about a week to become flake-free after using jojoba oil.

Thank you all for your feedback! :)

I wonder b/c I have oily skin, is the jojoba oil meant for dry skin? I notice that most people using it suffer from dry skin.

Has anyone with oily skin used it successfully?

I use it and have really oily skin. The jojoba oil reduces a good portion of the oil my skin produces. It hasn't caused a breakout for me. Isn't it non-comedogenic? Well, you won't know till you try still. If you end up not liking it for your face there are many other uses for it. i also put it on my lips and I've put it on my feet, then put socks over my feet and went to bed with it on. Baby soft in the morning.

Best of luck if you decide to try it:)

Just how much jojoba oil is in the moisturizer? I am getting ready to use jojoba oil too but I am scared it will break me out. However I use Dans moisturizer, does that mean I will not break out with regular jojoba oil as an exfoliant?

Just because its molecular structure looks similar to real skin oil, doesn't mean it's treated by the skin like it. It does not absorb the same way. Put some on your hand and look at it. Very different. After all, it only takes a single difference in some molecules to go from helpful drug to serious poison. You're better off with mineral oil or some other benign petroleum product. Massage therapists have known for decades Jojoba will clog pores. I don't know where Dan's getting this idea that it won't.

Thanks! biggrin.gif

May I ask what vitamins, herbs, and diet changes you've made?

Thanks! biggrin.gif

May I ask what vitamins, herbs, and diet changes you've made?

This is what has kept me clear for a the last 2 yrs almost.

I take Organic Apple Cider Vinegar(I use the Braggs Brand), I started out taking 2 teaspoons 3 to 4 times a day, but now as maintance I take 1 to 2 times a day.

Vitamin C with rose hips (3000 to 5000 mg per day) but that's because i am a smoker as well.

I take Resvitale Collagen Enhancer ( can be bought online or at GNC)

I also take acidophilus (1 billion organisms) twice a day (be sure to keep refrigerated)

I drink decaf green tea w/fresh squeezed 1/4 of lemon (chose decaf only because I drink 2 cups of coffee a day & feel no need to rev myself up anymore than usual).

I take 1 lychee mango fruit chew per day (GNC has it)

I also wash my face with clearasil then baking soda, and afterwards I take a clean facial pad and put the organic ACV on my face and let it dry. I wait 5-10 mins then also place fresh squeezed lemon juice on another clean pad and put that on my face.

I try to stay away from chocolates (that is what seems to break me out at least), however now I am finding that I can eat them in moderation and not even get one zit. I eat salad and raw veggies often (but I'm a rabbit anyways..lol)

I drink LOTS of water. I generally keep a water bottle on me no matter where I am sipping it all day then getting another when I run out. i drink pop or juices in moderation now, however I did not do that in the beginning (I was just straight water for a while).

That is pretty much my regimen :-)

This worked for me, I hope it works for you as well, but if not DO NOT give up. I had ALOT of trial & error and did alot of research before I found out what worked for me.

Now if you ask your skin doc if this will work, in my experience they will say no; because if it did work they will lose money (big-time). The pharmaceutical world is a billion dollar industry.. they are against natural healing methods (most of them at least) .. get my drift :-)

But I can tell you my little sister is doing my regimen as well and she cleared up completely. Her dermatologist thought she was taking the skin crap she was prescribed (which made her worse and she stopped using it). When her doc found out what she was doing, she wanted to know what regimen I had her on so she can use that regimen for her son who is also battling acne..lol

My sister's is the same as mine minus the collagen (I take that more to help me with my workout regimen anyways).

I wish you the best & feel free to contact me if you have anymore questions.. And I encourage you to research yourself the benefits of all I described above.

DISCLAIMER: I am not a herbalist nor am I a MD of any kind, so if you decide to try this it will be at your own discretion. I can testify that this method of treatment worked for me and I cannot & will not guarantee any reasults or be held responsible for any medical reaction resulting from this regimen.

Sorry had to add that.. you'd be surprised with people and their lawsuits today.

I hope you have a blessed day!