Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
phil_b

acne.org making us all paranoid and obsessive?

Ive always had spot problems. I managed to get clear after a course of accutane but spots eventually came back to i found acne.org. great! i though, ill give that regimen a go. It seems to be working well, but i spend loads of time at this site, reading about the horrors of acne.

I never really used to pay that much attention to my acne, and didnt think about it in the long term or anything. Now, whenever i get a zit that seems to be takin forever to heal, i start thinking about the possible scarring 'n' stuff it can cause as described in posts etc. Im constantly checkin products, what they do and their reviews/ratings. I seem to be obsessed with my acne and skin, spending ages in front of the mirror attending to it.

before i found this site I would spend maybe 30 seconds a day thinking about my skin, now i spend half of it thinking!

My problems mainly lie on my chest. the bp gel is sorting my face nicely, and my chest was pretty clear, but now 5 HUGE zitz have appeared on my chest (after a year or so of being relatively clear there) and im just really pissed and ranting....

Its a big deal to me. pre-accutane I didnt take my top off in public for about 5 years and it was kinda the bain of my life (though i didnt really obsess over fixing it), I dont mind taking it off too much now (or didnt) though i am still very self concious, but with these enormous horrid looking spots I wont be bearing my body again for some time. Perhaps the bp on my chest broke me out. Damn it! I just shouldnt have bothered applying it there.....

while im glad i found acne.org as its educated me as to what i can do to help, in many ways i wish I hadnt......

I totally relate to your post, dude. This place can be dangerous. I am trying to ween myself off coming here becuase it's making me too obsessive.

I think the site does more help than harm, but I know what you're saying: every day there's some new thing, and I gotta teach myself to stick to one thing instead of trying everything everyone says works.

THE SUPPORT I'VE RECEIVED HERE HAS BEEN PRICELESS. I THINK, THOUGH, THAT WE CAN BECOME OBSESSED WITH SOMETHING THAT SEEMS TO BE GETTING PROGRESSIVELY WORSE. IT'S HARD FOR US TO BE OBJECTIVE AT TIMES BECAUSE I BELIEVE WE SEE THE WORST IT'S ALL BEEN AND THEN SOME NOT REALIZING IT MAY NOT BE ALL THAT BAD AT THE VERY MOMENT. NEVERTHELESS, THIS SITE HAS SAVED ME. IT HAS SAVED MY SPIRIT KNOWING THAT OTHERS CARE AND SHARE MY PAIN.

Hmm, maybe you're right,

before i started coming here the acne would just bother me when i would be in front of the mirror. Now, i'm thinking about it half the day. I've learned a lot, and maybe i've become closer to a solution, but it comes at a cost. I got a bit too obsessed and flunked a couple of exams.

I came here sometimes twice a day. Gonna stop tomorrow. Cold-turkey.

Maybe once a week check-up.

CYAl in one week

^same here....I dont think I was this paranoid before comming here...my skin was 3 times worse before....it bugged me back then but I didnt think too much of it...I didnt let it run my life. But everything I do now is influenced by my skin.

Ive got a big zit at the bottom of my neck, where i have never had one before. Im even paranoid and obsessed about that now, attacking it with every product in my armory.

I definitely think this site makes me way more aware of my acne than I should be. I spend hours browsing in July, and obsessing over when I got a new zit. Then I stopped going for 3 weeks in august, and hung out with my friends and bf who said they barely even noticed my acne, and I felt a lot better. Now I'm back on here, somehow, and I feel worse about my acne than I have in 3 weeks! laugh.gif But that's probably mostly because I'm breaking out worse now...I dunno... bb_icon_rolleyes.gif

Also, sometimes if your skin looks bad and you read about all these people talking of how they haven't left the house for 3 weeks because of it - it could give you an excuse to do the same. Never trust random 'cures' that appear on here bb_eusa_naughty.gif

Wow.

I never thought about it that way, but you're absolutely right. Ever since finding this site I have become obsessed, and now with trying out every new 'miracle' product and amazing home remedy, my skin has broken out in little red bumps everywhere, and it has never done that before.

Acne.org, both a blessing and a curse.

wow this is crazy. i never thought about it like this before. i absolutely agree with you all. my skin is way better now then when i first started going on the site a couple of months ago. i've learned a lot and have cleared up dramatically. but i still keep coming here and obsessing over my skin. ek!

though the site has given me a lot of comfort and support to know that people go through the same stuff i go through. laugh.gif

i think that this message board and site is a great place to find out if whatever u're going through is normal. where else can u ask others if excessive hair shedding or redness is normal? i definitely use this site as a resource to go to. here u get an answer in a couple of hours and u feel better knowing why, instead of surfing through the entire internet and not finding out exactly what it is that you want to know.

Yeah, I've had this problem too. I had to step back when everyone was being so negative and talking about how horrible their lives were because of their acne. It made me feel like maybe I shouldn't be enjoying life because I have acne also. I dunno. However, it's also helped me a lot. I just can't spend as much time here or I become overly obessed and that's just not healthy.