Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
wanttobehealthy

Hidden illnesses causing acne

Hi evryone!

I have read these boards a lot have just never posted.

I am 29 years old & suffer with severe acne since the birth of my child among other things.

I went to another doctor after being to dozens of other doctors.

I was given blood test & diagnosed with hypothyroidism.

Acne & skin problems are a sign of this disease.

If you are past the teen years & still getting acne & have other signs maybye you should get tests done.

Since I have suffered with this for years I thought I might be able to help others so they do not have to suffer so long.

There are treatments for this which can bring you back to normal again.

I have read about this topic in a book addressing the diets we eat and what not, and I think it is definetly something to look into if you are mid twenties and still ahve persistent acne and are overweight. I thought I might have had it, but it turns out this disease impacts your metabolism slowing it down and making weight harder and harder to shed. Well it just so happens I am five pounds under weight and eat constantly, so my metabolism is still doing its job well, maybe to well. Anyways, I also read that people of this sort of metabolic type consume way too many carbs and not enough protein, and are the people you know who are constantly eating sugar and drinking coffee for a energy pick up. Exercise, eat healthy, and drink lots of water, thats all the pick up I need thoughtout my day.

coLe

Hi!

One thing I should address here is that not all people are overweight when they have hypothyroidism.

Okay so I'm not super slim but I'm not exactly overweight I am 5'3 a weigh 132.

I could stand to lose 5-7 pounds But I have had three children too.

Here is the cause in some weomen.

When pregnant they can get some kind of antibody which attacks the thyroid it starts out as hyper & after time turns in to hypo.

There are many causes for thyroid problems.

But this was what caused mine.

It runs in families which my grandmother & Great grandmother both had these problems.

I was misdiagnosed for years with Postpartum depression the depression since the signs mimic one another.

Signs:

Tired & week

depression

joint & muscle pain

bowl problems

skin problems

insomnia

Sleeping to much

Nervousness

Heart pounding

face swelling

droopy eyes

Memory problems

There are lots more symtoms I just cannot remember them all

Just out of curiosity does this mainly affect women? I'm not sayin it doesn't happen to guys, I just think I have read more cases of women having it then men.

coLe

Yes it is true that more weomen get this than Men but men do get it too.

One thing I forgot to mention One of the bigest symtoms I had was hair loss. I was loosing tons of hair.

I think men tend to get it as they get older.

More weomen are seen with it at a younger age.

I'm so glad you poseted! i've been trying to convince some knuckleheads on this board that acne can be caused by hypothyroidism...i got hypothyroidism that was caused entirely by soy.eating that was the biggest saddest mistake of my life It ruined my beautiful (I'm talking scarlett johansson perfect skin) skin...It gave me a bunch of cysts and scars and wrecked havoc on my formerly perfect teeth. Anyway my hypothyroidism was completely reversed...I stopped eating soy and my blood tests are all nornal. also i weighed 100 pounds when I was :"hypo" and am now 98 pounds and average height. i hate the media for lying about soy it destroyed my life.

Yes my doctor told me this is absolutly caused by my hypothyroidism.

Cool about the weight, I use to be average weight of 125 before this so maybye I will go back down to that weight after I get evrything straightened up.

Did your acne improve after treatment started working?

My doctors denied the soy connection..I was put on meds but stayed on them for less than a year because by then i had stopped eating soy and on meds my weight plummeted to around 85-93 pounds (it was a nightmare because i had also been on accutane the year before for the acne not knowing at all that soy was causing it. I mean really it's a conspiracy with this postive soy advertising).

The accutane totally got rid of the acne in two months flat. but of course I still had the hypo which no one botherred to really mention to me and this whole time i was 19 and very very slim so I passed under the radar I'm just under 5'5 by the way. anyway, i never had scarring cysts before soy so i assume that once your hypo is treated yours should go away. finally I was dignosed because my sin was insanely dry, looked like eczema and mild acne and I became super swollen all over yet still 100 pounds plus i had DUH abnormal blood tests and would black out and actually nearly passed out on my floor a bunch of times from extreme fatigue and I also had major suicidal depression.

i had been eating the soy for 1 and half years maybe 2 maximum but again, I had stopped before I went on meds and the meds made me very very hyper so i found small bits of info on soy and hypothyroidism on the web (there was VERY LITTLE info on soy and hypo on the net back then) that was enuf to make me stop. Plus, no one in my family is hypo or had any thyroid disorder. I had also stopped the meds (synthroid and cytomel) and my thyroid function returned to normal on its own.

it's 6 years later since going on the 'tane for the hypo related acne and i haven't had any cysts or scars since. in fact, i almost never breakout and only have some blackheads and very superficial pimples which happen rarely and go away quickly. I'm sure on thyroid meds, once your thyroid function gets normal your skin should clear up. Also, supplement with selenium 100 mcg a day>this is an essemtial mineral that aids in the conversion of t4 into t3 the active thyroid hormone.

you're welcome : ) i know exactly how you feel, you will get better tho...I'm sure your relatives can give you some much needed advice about meds etc...but defintely supplement with selenium it really did and does help, I still take it just because it's a good antioxidant.

What was your TSH by the way, just curious...new guidelines say it should be under 3 and maybe even under 2...so aim for that with medication...but the hair loss fatigue..all reversed...

I'M GOING TO CRY.

I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I'M READING.

I BEGAN GAINING 25 POUNDS, 6 YEARS AGO.

I'VE BEEN GETTING CYSTIC ACNE FOR A WHILE NOW.

I HAVE PUSHED MY DOC TO DO TESTS. SHE JUST WANTED TO PUT ME ON TANE. SO YESTERDAY I FINALLY GOT MY TSH DONE.

LET ME TELL YOU, I'M 5'3, CURRENTLY ON WEIGHTWATCHERS, AND WEIGHT 143. THAT'S QUITE A BIT CONSIDERING I WAS 118, A GOOD WEIGHT FOR ME DON'T YOU THINK?

ANYWAY: I 'VE SUFFERED FROM DEPRESSION BUT BECAUSE MY GRANDMOTHER AND FATHER HAVE BEEN ILL, I THOUGHT IT WAS NORMAL. I HAVE HAD SKIN PROBLEMS STARING IN MY 20s. I HAVE BEEN EATING EXTREME AMOUNTS OF CARBS. I DON'T DRINK WATER....I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH PROTEIN.

SOUNDS LIKE I BROUGHT THIS ON MYSELF. I WANT TO CRY MYSELF TO SLEEP NOW. I JUST WANT TO BE CURED. I'M GOING ON DIANE 35 RIGHT NOW.

WHAT TREATMENT WERE YOU GIVEN FOR HYPOTHYROIDISM?????????

PLEASE HELP.

guardedly optimistic i beat myself up EVERYDAY about eating soy...i mean NO MEDIA OUTLET REPORTED THAT IT COULD CAUSE DISEASE IT CAN AND DID for me and turned an otherwise amazing complexion and smile into anything but.

You didn't know and no one told you before that diet may be causing your symptoms but now you do.... You've been vegetarian for awahil and I know have been eating soy so good that you got the TSH done...any birth control pill will most likely make your situation even worse ergo the whole ortho debaucle. You refuse to stop being vegetarian even tho your health and skin were fine before that. Jesus why are so being so friggin' stubborn? y Oh, I made the mistake before that docs cared, they don't give a shit okay, no one does but you. Your TSH should be below a 3 and idealy a bit less than 2.

I learned second hand from someone else a tiny bit of info on a not so reliable site that soy may be bad that was enuf to mae me stop. i ate it for less that two year and it caused hell for me and my health. GIRL GET THE TESTS DONE AND GO BACK TO EATING NORMAL FOOD>

Here's my perspective on hypothryoidism. I hope it can inform and help others and I will answer any questions that I can.

Okay I am now 22 female and have suffered with hyperthyroidism since I was 15 and have been on differing amounts of Levothyroid and recently Synthroid. My doctor says I'm on a pretty high dose and still I don't feel "normal" yet my tests show that this amount of medication is "working." My experience is YOU have to be the one to tell your doctor how you're feeling and just because a test says you're okay and functioning well that doesn't mean you are. An endocrinologist may be better suited. For the record my dad and 16 year old sister are both diabetes and have low thyroids.

Symptoms that are commonly noticed are hair loss, sleeping all the time, depression, dry skin, etc. Things usually missed are intolerance to cold, which means I usually stay colder than everyone else in the room, i.e. always covered up with a blanket etc compared to other people.

Hypothyroidism is a very complicated and physically draining disease and many people are ignorant to how it affects people.

Thyroid supplementation has never led me to cure my acne so I believe there are other factors that cause acne. Like especially for women, your thyroid hormones being unbalanced is bad enough but add in the female hormones and we're pretty much screwed.

I'm sorry If this is a lot to read but I'm very passionate about informing and helping people with Thyroid and Endocrine Disorders. I hope I passed on some of my knowledge to those wondering and feel free to ask me questions.

Good Luck,

Rae

Hi, ive just read your post and it sounds quite interesting, however I am male and would be intrigued to read more about this hypothyroid thingyma jig! (sorry)

I pretty much know most thins about acne (given I am writing my medical paper on it at present), but I havent heard anything said about thyroid in conjunction with acne before. So i'm a bit curious where the link is??

Also I have had acne for 7 years and in that time had loads of problems gettin to sleep and then once i am asleep i tend to sleep until 2pm sometimes!! so my body clock is f*d (apologises for language). I have also have had three or four sudden faints, for no apparent reason (although it could be linked to insulin levels and my mother believes i may become diabetic or hypoglycemic). Are these symptoms of this thyroid condition???

I am at present unsure of the link between diabetes or hypoglycemia to the thyroid...coudl you explain that a little more?? And perhaps I have this condition?? I also have migraines, and often wake up in the mornings (when i do actually wake in the morning) with horrible 'abdominal migraines', where i am physically sick and cannot go to work or university.....is this another symptom??

Anyway if you could try and clarify some of these points perhaps I shall go and have a conversation with my GP.

Gregula

Hi There!

Here is a little article I found linking diabetes to hypothyroidism...

I'm looking now for acne info & hypothyroidism...

April, 2003 -- Researchers from the University of Tennessee Health Science Center in Memphis have confirmed the linkage between autoimmune thyroid disease and type 1 diabetes, suggesting that diabetes patients should receive regular screening for thyroid dysfunction.

In the study, 41% of the female patients developed hypothyroidism, and 19% of the male patients developed hypothyroidism.

Patients who were positive for thyroid peroxidase antibodies also were almost 18 times more likely to become hypothyroid than those who tested negative for antibodies.

The researchers suggested that patients with type 1 diabetes, and especially those who test positive for thyroid peroxidase antibodies, be tested annually or thyroid abnormalities.

Here is the link http://thyroid.about.com/cs/hypothyroidism...iabeteshypo.htm

Hypothyroidism, normally defined as a TSH level elevated above the reference range with usual low T4, probably affects hundreds of thousands of people without ever being diagnosed. Clinical signs and symptoms of hypothyroidism include the following (1,2,3):

Low body temperature, Dry skin/hair, Inappropriate weight gain,, Brittle nails, Insomnia and/or narcolepsy, Poor short-term memory and concentration,, Fatigue, Headaches and migraines, Premenstrual syndrome and related problems, Menstrual irregularities, Depression, Hair loss (including outer third of eyebrows), Low motivation and ambition, Cold hands and feet,, Fluid retention, Dizziness or lightheadedness, Irritability, Easy bruising, Skin problems/infections/acne, Infertility, Dry eyes/blurred vision, Heat and/or cold intolerance, Low blood pressure, Elevated cholesterol, Digestive problems (Irritable Bowel Syndrome, acid indigestion, constipation, etc.), Poor coordination, Diminished sex drive, Reduced or excessive sweating, Frequent colds/sore throats, Asthma/allergies, Slow healing, Exaggerated post-prandial response, Itchiness, Food cravings, Recurrent infections, Food intolerances, Increased susceptibility to substance abuse, Anxiety/panic attacks, Yellow-orange coloration on skin (particularly palms), Yellow bumps on eyelids, Slow speech, Myxedema (drooping, swollen eyes).

Some of the most common symptoms caused by hypothyroidism include poor concentration, mental confusion, memory disturbances, cold hands and feet, overweight, difficult weight loss, menstrual problems, dry skin, thin hair, and low energy levels. Other symptoms include migraine headaches, hypertension, depression, hypoglycaemia, atherosclerosis, diabetes, infertility, and even acne. In his book, Hypothyroidism: The Unsuspected Illness, Dr. Barnes described over 47 symptoms that may be related to poor thyroid function (Table I).

http://www.antiaging-systems.net/thyroid-article.htm

Hi,

Wanttobehealthy seems like you found a great source of information. I highly recommend http://thyroid.about.com/ to do research they have lots of articles regarding Hypo and Hyperthyroidism. Which by the way I think can occur concurrently at the same time or overmedication for Hypothyroid can lead to hyperthyroidism.

The theory of being both Hypo and Hyper has little research done on it. I'm making this point from personal experience and doctors who aren't hypothyroid or deal with thyroid problems really can't understand.

I would say it feels like my body clock is off because no matter what time I go to bed I still want to sleep in, it really sucks. I will also add that on my prescriptions it has always says not to be used for weight loss so those with unexplained weight gain (you don't have to eat more than usual to gain this weight) could be hypothyroid.

Just a few more thoughts.

Rae

it was also on about.com where i first found info linking soy to hypothyroidism...i repeatedly tested negative for thyroid antibodies however my tsh was elevated. I think any one with acne who consumes soy should immediately stop soy consumption...I mean according to my docs I have a very very naturally fast metabolism which may be why my thyroid symptoms did not include weight gain. Anyway medication, since i'd stopped eating soy, made me feel better at first but then i went very hyper. anyway, i am so glad i ignored my docs and finally halted medication and ordered my own blood test a month later...because it revealed that without the soy, and with out meds, my tsh was normal. it was around a 2.5 and then it went further down to 2.1...and i'm assuming it may have gone down slightly lower since my thyroid had been on meds for just under a year, maybe less then that. My TSH had been almost quadruple that # when i was consuming soy.

Also, EVERY DOCTOR I SAW DENIED THE CONNECTION TO SOY AND ENCOURAGED ME TO KEEP EATING SOY!!!!!!!! I'm glad I told thenm to go F*ck themselves.

To evryone who is worried about Hypothyroidism here is a simple test you can do at home...

This will let you know if you should see a doctor or not...

There is one simple thing almost anyone can do at home to uncover an underactive thyroid:

take your own temperature.

The "basal body temperature" test was developed by Broda O. Barnes, M.D.,

Because thyroid hormone is so vital to cellular metabolism, reduced thyroid function often manifests as a drop in body temperature to below the normal level of 98.6*F. Barnes recommended the following procedure:

Immediately upon awakening, and with as little movement as possible, place the thermometer under the tongue or in the rectum.

Leave it there for 10 minutes.

Record the readings on three consecutive days

If the average temperature over the three days is less than 97.8*F, then, according to Barnes, you may have hypothyroidism.

Relax guys..Dont put so much weight on the Diet myth. We all have poor skin by nature. It does not function like it should. It does not peel correctly and some people produce too much Sebum. When you have both of these problems youn are a sure fire candidate for cystic long term acne. And dont forget the disease itself is literally contagious within it's own space. In other words: It will spread if untreated and usually worsen in people who truly have poorly functioning skin. You can eat what you think will work, but that IS NOT THE PROBLEM. Medical science has proven this and I have clear skin as a result of Western Medicine.

Smoothbeamin.. cool.gif

HOW DO YOU ACHIEVE CLEAR SKIN IF YOU ARE HYPOTHYRODIC? I DONT EVEN KNOW IF THAT'S A WORD, BUT YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN.

CAN YOU PLEASE TELL ME?

SHOULD I GO ON ACCUTANE?

I'M FINDING I'M GETTING BROWN SPOTS ON MY ARMS!!! IS THIS A RESULT OF THE BP PILLS???

SOMEONE OUT THERE, I'M DESPERATE: PLEASE TELL ME!!!

smoothbeamin you're absolutely 100% percent WRONG>reasearch studies and the general scientific community is in a consensus that soy is dubious in treems of health and at the very least may be linked to hypothyroidism....in europe it has been linked more definitively. it happened to me...

frankly I wish you were right> then i'd have GORGEOUS skin because genetically EVERYONE IN MY FAMILY HAS GORGEOUS SKIN. I'm sick of hearing people deny the diet connection. accutane worked wonders but all i would have needed was soap and water before the soy. by the way that's ALL I use now for acne, which i really don't have now, just soap and water....I almost NEVER EVER GET EVEN TINY PIMPLES. Look i ate garbage JUNK FOOD in high school and NEVER SCARRED OKAY ONLY WHEN I ATE SOY which caused hypothyroidism which is proven to cause acne and severely delayed healing. DUH, and again DUH> I have blood tests to prove it did happen.

Sorry, i'm in a bad mood today and may be your skin was genetically bad. mine wasn't or at the very least not as bad as it got. Also, environment plays a large role as well in affecting gene proteins which can be alterd, influenced to a greater extent than previously thought, there actually is a hint of lamarck (sp) at play...and now there are sub categories of genetics including epigenetics> i'm actually exposed to more recent research, some that the general public hasn't even seen yet and is not going to be taught at some med schools unless it's actual research versus current medicine. I go more by what some scientists say not industry crap or what some second rate doctors say. Anyway, I've asked this of researchers and and most will tell you medicine isn't that great in the US except for surgery and those types of advancements. standard, more vague primary care really isn't high quality>also pharmaceutical companies thta have downsized, well guess who they fire firts, SCIENTISTS and keep IDIOT marketing execs on board. By the way I now one harvard researcher is treating a genetic trait with a cheap vitamin treatment and it's worked far better than some new fangled medication he was using. Also, most reaserchers don't repect docs much and think they're overpaid drug dispensers.

Well if you think you have Hypothyroidism I would say no do not go on accutane without talking to your doctor about your concearns.

I do not know if accutane would be safe if you have this illness.

There are tests that your Doctor will give you.

Also hun I wanted to ad that you sound very depressed.

That could be a sign of Hypo but you could just be depressed.

I really really think you should go to the Doctor and ask for help.

Tell him what you are feeling physically & mentally.

He or she will be able to help you.

I was in you place at a time & I know what you are feeling.