Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
geoffie

shower causes worse acne!

got new soap and shampoo and showerd daily for a week and everything got worse.... then i decided to not shower for a week to see what would happen and everythings going away now...... like really wtf is wrong with me

ignore the haters. there's tons of threads on the "caveman"/no washing method. not washing your face is effective but unless you have horrible body acne not showering at least your body is a bit extreme. try using just water and a little gentle soap on like your armpits and feet.

ive tried that but after i get out i just feel more dirty yes my skin feels better after i showe everyday but its worse... i use dove soap and dandruff shampoo... and not like a week i go 3 to 4 days haha im not that stupid :) but idk how to get it undercontroll and still shower like a regular person

I have to disagree on this cause i take showers everyday and to me it seems to be helping my acne, but maybe its just different for some people :/

Edited by HiImMatt

Yeah i dont really see how not showering would clear up your acne, but hey if it works for you, then go for it!

At one point i had pretty terrible acne on my back, and I was bouncing around different medications for a long time and it finally got better. Since then Ive stopped alot of medications and i just use any over the counter acne body wash with salicylic acid to keep it under control. Its not completley gone but its under control.

I too kinda agree. When I shower, the oil on my skin gets worse. I shower every other day. And I don't wash my face. I feel I agrrivate it more. Anohter thing I remember is years ago when I had swim class in high school, my skin was actually pretty clear. Maybe it was the chlorine. I've been always meaning to try this again, but never find the time to swim. Anyways have any of you see a difference after your skin is exposed to chlorine??

I recommended this in another post to someone:

Never let hot water touch your skin. I'm not sure how you take showers but since my skin is so sensitive, I use a detachable shower head turn on the cold water and wash my hair head down so chemicals and water don't touch my face. For body, I use warm water during the winter. But whenever I need to rinse my hair or water comes close to my face, the water has to be cold. Warm water will dry out my face and when my skin is dry and tight, it leads to break outs. This can be done with shower heads that aren't portable. You just have have to wash with your head down carefully. When you wash your body with warm water, just turn your body in the opposite direction. The water should be streaming on your back when you wash this way. Try to only use warm water when needed. Cold water is really best.

I've have oily skin and broke really badly starting in 6th grade. This is a habit I've developed over time (along with trial and error). It took me some time to figure out what worked with my skin and what didn't. This is a major one. When hot water touches my face, my sensitive and oily skin dries out really badly that moisturizers don't help. When my skin becomes dry and tight, it breaks out. Sometimes when I'm not careful and warm water runs down my chin when I'm washing this way, my chin will break out. I only use warm water during winter.

I'm the type who needs to wash her skin because of how oily it used to get in jr high and high school. It's decreased significantly now since I'm in my twenties. I used a cream only cleanser and cold water only for my face. No warm water for me. And moisturizing is VERY important. I used to think because my skin was so oily, only a little would be better and a lot of acne cream. Turns out it's the other way around. A lot of moisturizer and little dabs of acne cream where needed. The more moisturized my skin is, the less oily it gets.

Also, sleep face up. Don't let anything touch your skin. Wash bedding regularly. Hope this helps.

Edited by Lilypaddd

yeah maybe its becuase i take so hot of showers.... but i dont break out on my face anymore its just my neck.... i decided to shower everyday for a week and i got realllly bad acne on the back of my neck.... then the next week i quit taking showers (i know its really nasty but i want to see if it did anything) and now the back of my neck is clear..... idk i go see the derm on friday :) first time ever to one of them so hopefuilly i can find some stuff out

You don't need to stop showering if you are only breaking out on your neck. I'd recommend you get a detachable shower head so you control where the water goes. When you get close to your neck, use cold water. You'll find if you start out with warm water on your body, you can eventually turn it cooler and you won't get that initial shock of using cold water immediately.

There is really no reason for you to stop taking showers just because of your neck.

I've been to countless dermatologists and other than prescribing new medication or creams, they really don't have any definite advice. They mainly explain how the skin gets acne. I've even had one sell me pre-packaged "acne treatments" that he claimed to have formulated. But it was just the same old stuff like salicylic acid face wash and cream that he jacked up the price up ten times what it was really worth and that derm pressured me to get. You really have to figure out what works for you.

stop using dove soap, switch to jergens

and never let hot, or even warm water touch your face, at most luke-warm, best is cold water

try to avoid getting shampoo on your face

and dont use soap on your face, use a proper cleanser

Im going to try not showering at all and see what effect it has. It will make my hair greasy idc.

It makes sense polar bears have really greasy skin because they go in the water all the time to catch fish and what not, and the grease is there to shed the water quickly. So it might work for humans too. The more you get wet the more greasy you become idk. :P. But its worth a try. :)

Edited by Claudio

Try showering with water only and omit the soap, it might sound absurd not to put anything on your face but it has worked for me and I must have tried every single prescription and over the counter face wash, cleanser, and gels/creams on the market in the UK!

Also, try and stop shampoo getting on your face.

I'm not sure about hot water being a problem as a (hot) 'water only' regimen seems to be working fine for me. I do switch to cold at the end of the shower after someone recommended this a few years ago, don't know if it helps but it is one of the few traits I have retained from my obsessive years!

Just please, please do me a favor and wear plenty of deodorant! Hopefully this will work for you.

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape