Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skinandhair

If you've tried every OTC & Rx treatment over the years and still have blackheads/clogged pores, could a vitamin deficiency be the cause?

I've been battling blackheads/ Sebaceous filaments/ clogged pores since I was a teenager (and I'm almost 30 now!). Back then it was just a few on my nose...then I started noticing them on my chin. A couple years later they were on my cheeks, and now I feel like every pore on my body is clogged.

I've tried Rx topical creams/gels from my dermatologist, every OTC product that has ever worked for ANYONE. I've combed the internet over the years, trying everything that worked for someone else. I would try some of these regimens for months, just waiting for my skin to start to change. I tried several different oil combos with OCM, and while I noticed my skin had an improved appearance after the first couple weeks, it was a drop in the bucket.

All of these things has made extracted the gunk easier, but it just comes right back and is DEFINITELY getting worse and spreading to the rest of my body.

But the other day something occurred to me--I'm doing everything right in terms of what I'm doing topically, but something needs to stop my body from producing all this sebum. I've tried being very careful about avoiding foods that could cause acne, but I've never thought about the fact that my body cold be producing excess sebum and clogging up pores because of what I'm NOT eating.

I think this must be some kind of vitamin deficiency. I've never been a very good eater (picky, bouts of nausea), I'm underweight, pale, anemic, poor immune system, etc. I know I am not eating the kinds of foods that are giving my body the recommended dosage of nutrients (I'm working on correcting that, slowly but surely).

If you're like me and you've tried EVERY Rx and OTC product for YEARS and you're still battling this problem, maybe your body is trying to tell you something. The skin is the largest organ. It's probably trying to tell us something.

But just because I'm underweight and anemic and you're not, doesn't mean you should assume your problem is different than mine. Maybe this is how your skin is reacting to a different deficiency--we are different enough from each other that some OTC products work miracles for thousands of people and have no effect for others.

WE ARE NOT DOOMED!! Lets try to figure this out.

I've read that a vitamin D deficiency can cause acne. I definitely don't get enough vitamin D (from the sun or milk products). After much research, I've ordered some liquid Vitamin D3 drops online (I think there's a thread about this on the cystic acne board here at acne.org) and I'm still waiting for them to arrive. I've also started taking a multi vitamin, and I'm also going to get slow release iron supplements (I go without because they always give me stomach trouble), and I'm also adding Magnesium since that's needed to make the Vitamin D3 more effective.

I'll update you once I get all my supplements and start the regimen. I'm also trying to eat better and get more vitamins through healthy food, but that's to improve overall health. I think my blackheads need the extra help from supplements.

So what do you guys think of this? Any thoughts on vitamin deficiencies that could be causing your own skin problems? Everything I've read online talks about the effect on acne--I'm not really finding too much info on how it effects blackheads.

________

Oh btw, if you have that fungus or whatever it is that causes bumps and pimples that never really come to a head, try taking regular Head & Shoulders shampoo and smearing a thin layer over the area. Just basic H&S like this:

You should see a BIG difference overnight (I let the very thin layer stay there all night, but some people might want to start with an hour and then wash it off if it's too drying). I battled what I THOUGHT was a case of horrible bacne for months until it occurred to me that the breakouts were only on my back. I started thinking, "hmm, what is my back touching that the rest of my skin isn't?) I think it was my Paul Mitchell Conditioner runnning down my back in the shower. I always scrub my back/shoulders/chest as the last step before getting out of the shower because I thought it would keep a problem like that from happening, but I guess the cleanser I was using wasn't getting rid of the conditioner. Applied the H&S (probably read about it on these message boards!) and saw a HUGE reduction in pimples/bumps overnight. Apparently it's the zinc and sulfur that's killing the fungus.

boy do we have so many similiarities its scary..i could have wrote that post myself. I am 43 and in the last 2 yrs have consistently battled my pores. Specifically in the chin area. I get plugged very easily as my pores are huge.I posted a picture 2 weeks ago that shows my pores if you want to take a look. I forget which forum i posted it in though..Anyway, I have battled a lot of health issues and have always felt my problem was internally. I feel im deficient in something so my body is overproducing sebum. I've tried doxycycline, differin, fiancea, paulas choice products, sal acid, aha, ziana gel..I cant even list the over the counter products ive purchased because its sickening and maddening how much money ive wasted over the years. I know for a fact (as my bloodwork has confirmed it) that im anemic, vit d deficient and my calcium was high. Ive had several blood tests at different times and one of them indicated my thyroid was hyperactive and my estrogen was slighly low...Im so afraid of supplements and that they will break me out even more that i try them sporadically. Right now im on spironolactone and acnescript and it has not helped one bit. Ive been on spiro for a year and have wondered if i need to up my dosage or not? Or am I dehydrated and therefore trying to produce more oil..No one can help me but i spend hrs in the bathroom every night picking out my pores...Im finding it very hard and sometimes want to check out so badly...sorry not be optimisitc but im very depressed at not finding anything that works...I need help before i slip away from everything

Stay strong, my friend. It's so frustrating, but we've got to stay positive, even when it seems impossible. Focus on the people you love. Meditate. You'll get through it and, who knows, maybe we'll figure out the seemingly impossible chemistry of our skin someday!

You aren't alone.

boy do we have so many similiarities its scary..i could have wrote that post myself. I am 43 and in the last 2 yrs have consistently battled my pores. Specifically in the chin area. I get plugged very easily as my pores are huge.I posted a picture 2 weeks ago that shows my pores if you want to take a look. I forget which forum i posted it in though..Anyway, I have battled a lot of health issues and have always felt my problem was internally. I feel im deficient in something so my body is overproducing sebum. I've tried doxycycline, differin, fiancea, paulas choice products, sal acid, aha, ziana gel..I cant even list the over the counter products ive purchased because its sickening and maddening how much money ive wasted over the years. I know for a fact (as my bloodwork has confirmed it) that im anemic, vit d deficient and my calcium was high. Ive had several blood tests at different times and one of them indicated my thyroid was hyperactive and my estrogen was slighly low...Im so afraid of supplements and that they will break me out even more that i try them sporadically. Right now im on spironolactone and acnescript and it has not helped one bit. Ive been on spiro for a year and have wondered if i need to up my dosage or not? Or am I dehydrated and therefore trying to produce more oil..No one can help me but i spend hrs in the bathroom every night picking out my pores...Im finding it very hard and sometimes want to check out so badly...sorry not be optimisitc but im very depressed at not finding anything that works...I need help before i slip away from everything

i feel very alone even with this forum..i spend days hiding because its been 2 straight yrs and nothing has changed yet I've changed so many things in an effort to rid myself of this..As I sit here, Im worse than ever. Raw, irritated red meat face. Its dry and picked looking and i didnt really pick. Just some dead skin off my chin. It actually itches today. What does that mean. Infected? What do you put on dry, clogged, dehydrated raw skin? More moisturizer? Who the hell knows anymore.....

i feel very alone even with this forum..i spend days hiding because its been 2 straight yrs and nothing has changed yet I've changed so many things in an effort to rid myself of this..As I sit here, Im worse than ever. Raw, irritated red meat face. Its dry and picked looking and i didnt really pick. Just some dead skin off my chin. It actually itches today. What does that mean. Infected? What do you put on dry, clogged, dehydrated raw skin? More moisturizer? Who the hell knows anymore.....

I too suffer the same problems, have tried virtually everything and the only thing that has ever had any effect was accutane. However 2 years later the pores are back, literally every single pore in my t zone is clogged but my skin is also dry and flaky. I've seen a very well respected derm who's put me on Differin (day 4 and all my broken veins- another curse I have in addition to the blackheads and clogged pores look worse). I eat pretty well, no meat and plenty of fruit but am starting to feel hopeless and that nothing will ever work because I'm always disappointed by the results. Only other thing that works is to go to a hot country and sunbathe (in privacy as I won't be seen without make up)-at least it's easier to cover up with a tan. Altho I'm accelerating ageing process :wall: . Ps this all started age 12ish and I'm 37

same her glou..im 43 and have suffered for 30yrs now...what are you washing with..i just started about a week ago on garden of wisdom products...the website is a bit overwhelming and i have not seen any results yet..gentle cleansing for my rosacean skin does not work well with my clogged pores..even supplements are not working..ugh

same her glou..im 43 and have suffered for 30yrs now...what are you washing with..i just started about a week ago on garden of wisdom products...the website is a bit overwhelming and i have not seen any results yet..gentle cleansing for my rosacean skin does not work well with my clogged pores..even supplements are not working..ugh

Exactly, the harsh products which claim to help the pores just dry my sensitive, red skin and don't unblock the pores either! I use Clinique facewash for oily skin, works ok but the problems are relentless-even tane didn't get rid of scarred pores and red veins. My derm who's expert on acne and rosacea said it's acne and the red veins are genetic. However letter he sent to my doctor said I have "numerous comedones....which will develop into inflamed acne obviously". But it never develops into inflammatory acne besides a few zits, the majority of my pores just sit there clogged up and ever expanding :boohoo: He said he would do a mandelic peel next appointment which will help with red veins, never heard that before. The differin isn't doing much yet but I can't face having no tan all summer so I'll be stopping it (temporarily at least) in June when I go away. One thing I tried a couple of weeks ago was lemon juice-made my skin look best it has in years for one day- didn't seem to last (as usual) but I didn't keep it up as I got the differin soon after-try that and let me know how you get on. Years ago I used to put salicylic acid facewash (think it was called aknisan or something similar) on neat to my nose and sleep in it- it dries your skin and temporarily shrinks pores but sadly never gets rid of the problem- once the dry skin is gone the blasted pores are just waiting...!

I love to hear more about the mandelic peel and the lemon juice...How did you apply to lemon juice to your skin or did you spot treat the red marks that are left. I have been getting these red bumps along my jawline lately. I will get them for a week straight and then nothiing for another week. At first I thought it was a food allergy but my diet is bland and pretty much the same every day. I only eat chicken, beef, fruits, veggies and non glutenous grains. Ive lost a ton of weight and dont look healthy which is upsetting to me and my family. Im 5'9 and 126lbs...My skin has gotten worse since my diet change which goes against everything I read about diet and acne. Last night I was able to extract a ton of comedo's and blocked pores from my chin and it looks better today...I washed with my old standby cleanser Boots Gentle cleansing lotion and then used my clarisonic mia just in my chin and sides of my nose. My cheeks dont need it too much and I didnt want to irritate and make it red because then everything is enflamed. I have been applying a couple of drops of Skinceuticals Phyto Corrective gel mixed with Garden of wisdoms avocado calming serum..I didnt apply in the chin area just on cheeks and sides of face and I was not irritated at all. Things looked calm. I then used mandelic 5% by GOW on my chin after the extractions. I hope to keep up the gentle exfoliation of the mandelic every couple of days in hopes it will not lead to a build up of my pores. I get in a cycle of washing with too emollient of a cleanser which jams my chin pores...I spend hrs picking out the crap which is leading to permanent redness and scarring. The other thing I want to look into are different procedures which my help my skin but I dont know what one is right for me. Every time I go to the derm they advise either chemical peel, microdermabrasion of a harsh topical. All these are so rough on my rosacean skin. I need something gentle to unblock the pores and something else for the veins and broken caps...Is the mandelic peel gentlier than a sal peel or microdermabrasion?

I love to hear more about the mandelic peel and the lemon juice...How did you apply to lemon juice to your skin or did you spot treat the red marks that are left. I have been getting these red bumps along my jawline lately. I will get them for a week straight and then nothiing for another week. At first I thought it was a food allergy but my diet is bland and pretty much the same every day. I only eat chicken, beef, fruits, veggies and non glutenous grains. Ive lost a ton of weight and dont look healthy which is upsetting to me and my family. Im 5'9 and 126lbs...My skin has gotten worse since my diet change which goes against everything I read about diet and acne. Last night I was able to extract a ton of comedo's and blocked pores from my chin and it looks better today...I washed with my old standby cleanser Boots Gentle cleansing lotion and then used my clarisonic mia just in my chin and sides of my nose. My cheeks dont need it too much and I didnt want to irritate and make it red because then everything is enflamed. I have been applying a couple of drops of Skinceuticals Phyto Corrective gel mixed with Garden of wisdoms avocado calming serum..I didnt apply in the chin area just on cheeks and sides of face and I was not irritated at all. Things looked calm. I then used mandelic 5% by GOW on my chin after the extractions. I hope to keep up the gentle exfoliation of the mandelic every couple of days in hopes it will not lead to a build up of my pores. I get in a cycle of washing with too emollient of a cleanser which jams my chin pores...I spend hrs picking out the crap which is leading to permanent redness and scarring. The other thing I want to look into are different procedures which my help my skin but I dont know what one is right for me. Every time I go to the derm they advise either chemical peel, microdermabrasion of a harsh topical. All these are so rough on my rosacean skin. I need something gentle to unblock the pores and something else for the veins and broken caps...Is the mandelic peel gentlier than a sal peel or microdermabrasion?

I don't know whether mandelic is gentler but he said it also helps redness (not sure if this was weird redness with spots I developed for a while along jaw/cheeks or broken veins. I know what you mean about products being too harsh- almost a week on differin and my skin is so oily and pores massive, plus it seems to make broken veins more prominent. Is this usual? Depressing when weather heating up..W£ith lemon juice I just cut it and rubbed it all over my face- left it for a couple of hours then applied aknicare cream before bed- worth a shot even if it's temporary? I agree with diet- I'm pretty healthy but this bloody skin stays the same whatever my diet (used to be far less healthy). Never consistently cut out dairy or gluten though altho I avoid dairy as much as poss. Are your broken veins confined to face-I'm doubly cursed with them on upper chest and neck- bloody blemishes galore..