Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Time2Change

I feel so lost and hopeless :(

Hi I'm new here and I am 17. I've had acne since I was 12. It has mostly been mild, but these days it just seems to be getting worse. I have tried so many over-the-counter products but none have worked. About a week ago, I had my first dermatologist app. and he gave me doxycycline and I use differin as a tropical medication. I also wash my face with cetaphil antibacterial soap.

It just seems so useless. I feel like giving up. My acne is NOT getting under control. It just seems to either be the same or getting worse. I feel so ugly. I am not unattractive but with my skin, I definitely look disfigured. :/ I hate wearing tops that show my chest or anything because I hate the contrast with my skin. All of my skin is flawless.. but my face is AWFUL. I hate it soo much. I cry over it all the time. It seems everyone has better skin, and if they dont, its just a pimple or two.

I've skipped school sooo many times because of this problem. I just tell my mom that I'm sick, but I think she secretly knows. Thank goodness she is supportive. But my dad isn't. He calls me dirty and acts as if i can CONTROL it. Once, he was putting on his glasses, looked at me, then said: "I better keep them off." Basically indicating I looked much better blurry. I felt so hurt by that. Sometimes when he sees me, he'll point out my acne and say: "It got a little worse over there....." or "Wow, what happened to ur face?!"

My little sister (age 5) is catching on and now makes fun of my face constantly, saying she hates the color red because it makes my face look gross, she points out my acne, laughs over it, and no one disciplines her. Last night I cried myself to sleep because of it.

I am not even able to do the things I like anymore. I either cancel plans (although my friends are great and do not judge me) or I feel no longer "welcome". For instance, I used to LOVE going to my grandmother's house, but now whenever I go there, she points out my acne and tries to offer advice but she is so loud about it and embarrassing so I no longer go there.

Sorry this is SO long, but I feel so overwhelmed and hopeless. Will I ever get over this? I dont know. I am sometimes able to look at myself and find positives but its getting harder each day. Sometimes I feel worthless. Thats why I came on here. I feel through this I can find hope again.. but I dont know if I can.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by Time2Change

Wow, I'm so sorry you have to go through this with such an unsupportive family. People without acne don't really understand... people in general can be so insensitive, whether it's acne, weight, underweight, balding... anything. Have you talked to them? Or the very least, get your mom to talk to them?

Anyway, there is always the holistic route to getting clear if meds don't work... it sounds like a lot of your acne is probably emotional though and it's terrible you're stuck in such an unsupportive situation for healing... since you're 17, will you be able to move out soon?

How long have you been on your current prescriptions? Did he tell you how Differin works? I've been using it and my skin looks 100x better than it did before. Keep hope. Kids are mean. Have a serious talk with your sister. Sometimes little kids really will listen and absorb what you are telling them to do if you don't show weakness. Sad that you have to- but as no one else is telling her what the right thing to do, it's up to you to try for both of your sakes. You will get through this.

oh baby i feel so bad about you. you don´t deserve this. i know how you feel i have mild acne and sometimes my nephew whom is 6 years old talks about my acne and i kind of feel bad about it because even if they are just kids, sometimes the things they say it hurts pretty bad.

have you tried other things? i think you should ask your doctor if you could use some other stronger medications i don´t know if accutante is the right one for you, i think you should ask him.

anyways, i know is super hard to be strong because is just sad when we don´t have the support from our family. your dad is a moron and i´m sorry if i said this but it´s the true. parents should help their kids, not laugh at them like little kindergarden kids. your dad is very imature. my dad always help me with my acne, he never ever laughed about it niether my mom. sometimes is more sad when adults laugh at us, because kids well...they don´t know alot of things because they are no mature enough to understand certain things, but adults! i hate when adults laugh at people with acne, they know any better is just sad! when they laugh at us.

you need to stay strong and try to face all of your fears, and always have a positive view about yourself. i think you should do what i do, i wear cute clothes, i wear a little bit of makeup just to feel good about myself. cause i know you are beautiful ;)

acne does have a solution, you just have to find the right one for you. keep going to the derm and seek from more help. i wish you the best of luck! everything will be fine.

My dad once told me it looked like my face caught on fire and someone tried to put it out with an icepick. This was when I was 14 and my acne was going through one of it's worst stages.

Some people really are jerks,and I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

Have you ever tried to sit down with your little sister and explain to her that saying those things are not right? My brother was a parental figure for me, and didn't let me get away with things.He punished me, or made me feel stupid for being a brat.It made me respect him more.He'd really bond with me and take me out to do things if I was being good.

What do you say to your dad when he bullies you?

I used to throw up every single morning before school because of intense fear of people. I'm a girl,and got beat up. I've had rocks thrown at me, been pushed down stairs,someone hit me with their shoe once, been choke-held and rammed into a wall....there was a lot of exceptionally mean people at my High School!

One morning I came into English class and a jock thought it would be funny to throw my last pencil across the room. I kind of just snapped and got into his face,called him a fat fuck, and told him if he didn't get his fat ass out of the chair I was going to make the rest of his Junior year a living nightmare. He got freaked out and got my pencil.

Now, I'm not saying flip out on someone like that, but be the type of person that seems hard to mess with. I was mousy,self-conscience...I gave off weak vibes. I projected myself as a helpless person. I knew a girl that couldn't have been more than 5'2" and when she was angry she seemed like she was 6 feet tall. She projected herself as a more threatening person!

I know it's easier said than done, and it certainly isn't going to happen overnight, but try to make little baby steps. Acne sucks, but don't let it ruin your future!

I'm so sorry honey, I just want to hug you. It makes me sad that your family can't see your true worth and build you up, but there are people out there who do see how valuable you are. If you are ever feeling really desperate, especially if you start feeling suicidal, there's a crisis hotline (1-800-273-TALK (8255)) where there are people to talk to. I don't know about your religious beliefs, but if you are christian, you could try talking to a pastor or youth pastor and try looking through the bible to see what God has to say about you. It says you are precious, worthy and loved. That you were worth Christ dying for... I hope this helps.

-Melissa

My dad once told me it looked like my face caught on fire and someone tried to put it out with an icepick. This was when I was 14 and my acne was going through one of it's worst stages.

Some people really are jerks,and I'm sorry you have to deal with it.

Have you ever tried to sit down with your little sister and explain to her that saying those things are not right? My brother was a parental figure for me, and didn't let me get away with things.He punished me, or made me feel stupid for being a brat.It made me respect him more.He'd really bond with me and take me out to do things if I was being good.

What do you say to your dad when he bullies you?

I used to throw up every single morning before school because of intense fear of people. I'm a girl,and got beat up. I've had rocks thrown at me, been pushed down stairs,someone hit me with their shoe once, been choke-held and rammed into a wall....there was a lot of exceptionally mean people at my High School!

One morning I came into English class and a jock thought it would be funny to throw my last pencil across the room. I kind of just snapped and got into his face,called him a fat fuck, and told him if he didn't get his fat ass out of the chair I was going to make the rest of his Junior year a living nightmare. He got freaked out and got my pencil.

Now, I'm not saying flip out on someone like that, but be the type of person that seems hard to mess with. I was mousy,self-conscience...I gave off weak vibes. I projected myself as a helpless person. I knew a girl that couldn't have been more than 5'2" and when she was angry she seemed like she was 6 feet tall. She projected herself as a more threatening person!

I know it's easier said than done, and it certainly isn't going to happen overnight, but try to make little baby steps. Acne sucks, but don't let it ruin your future!

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY

eat lots of greenz!!! srsly! read how many ppl got clear bcz of this! im eating greens more for like week or a bit more now n its deff clearing up my skin alot, there r almost no new breakouts anymore. so if ur skin havent screwed by acne yet (redmarks, scars n all the shit that comes as bonus together with acne) start good diet, or at least add lots of greeenz!