Notifications
Clear all

Why isn't PUNCH GRAFTING popular?

MemberMember
(@star-kim)

Posted : 02/07/2011 6:00 pm

I really don't understand why ppl keep on insisting on having laser treatments/dermaroller treatments on deep scars with tissue loss... I find it very difficult to believe that skin will magically grow..

I have been doing some research on punch grafting for acne scars and it is very hard to find ppl who have had it done..I actually haven't met anyone yet..

The few results I have seen are quite impressive.. (Puch grafting followed by dermabrasion)...

I guess it is not popular because it is not a PRODUCT that can be sold..like a laser machine or a filler...It depends exclusively on the sugeons skills...And because it is cheap..

Well, why am I making this topic?

1) I am maybe having this procedure done, so I to keep you guys posted..

2) To ask if ANYONE HERE HAS HAD IT DONE?

3) Does anyone know where I can find more info about it as well as before and after pics...

Here's what I've found so far:

MemberMember
(@bambeano)

Posted : 02/07/2011 7:08 pm

I concur about the laser and dermal rollers. I think lasers can help a selective few on superficial scars and discoloration.

MemberMember
(@star-kim)

Posted : 02/07/2011 9:40 pm

I concur about the laser and dermal rollers. I think lasers can help a selective few on superficial scars and discoloration.

You know what I think the problem is? These are treatments originally developed to improve AGING SIGNS AND WRINKLES, NOT ACNE SCARS. When I first started researching about scars, I got very excited about the Active FX before and after pictures..I thought to myself ''If this can make someone go back 10 years in time, it should be piece of cake for my scars!''...Sadly, it is not like that..

That's why I'm excited about punch grafting..it was specifically created to treat acne scars..

MemberMember
(@starlite)

Posted : 02/07/2011 10:09 pm

Dermatologists/PS make more $ with lasers. There was a lot of hype when it first came out, and I think many plastic surgeons and dermatologists didn't want to be responsible for the risk involved with excision, punch graft, etc. It's all pretty disappointing, especially since I've been to several plastic surgeons and NONE of them recommended subcision, excision, or anything of that nature. They were like, your skin type won't allow for ablative lasers or deep chemical peels, fractional laser is your only option. Oh yeah, and you may or may not have improvement after spending all of that $ for several treatments. IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY. Sad, but true. But you really need to do your research and make sure you're going to a PS or dermatologist that knows what they're doing and will actually yield improvement.

Dermarolling is supposed to stimulate collagen production, and several people on this board have gotten good results from their ROLLING scars. Not sure about ice pic or boxcar. I haven't tried it, but you could ask other people on this board.

MemberMember
(@bambeano)

Posted : 02/07/2011 10:32 pm

You know what I think the problem is? These are treatments originally developed to improve AGING SIGNS AND WRINKLES, NOT ACNE SCARS. When I first started researching about scars, I got very excited about the Active FX before and after pictures..I thought to myself ''If this can make someone go back 10 years in time, it should be piece of cake for my scars!''...Sadly, it is not like that..

That's why I'm excited about punch grafting..it was specifically created to treat acne scars..

Well the sad truth it can do quite the opposite of helping aging...some lost facial fat and other complication leading to an appearance of aging. Acne scars can vary...different degrees...yes laser can help those with superficial acne scars and discoloration but not all.

MemberMember
(@bambeano)

Posted : 02/07/2011 10:37 pm

Dermatologists/PS make more $ with lasers. There was a lot of hype when it first came out, and I think many plastic surgeons and dermatologists didn't want to be responsible for the risk involved with excision, punch graft, etc. It's all pretty disappointing, especially since I've been to several plastic surgeons and NONE of them recommended subcision, excision, or anything of that nature. They were like, your skin type won't allow for ablative lasers or deep chemical peels, fractional laser is your only option. Oh yeah, and you may or may not have improvement after spending all of that $ for several treatments. IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY. Sad, but true. But you really need to do your research and make sure you're going to a PS or dermatologist that knows what they're doing and will actually yield improvement.

Dermarolling is supposed to stimulate collagen production, and several people on this board have gotten good results from their ROLLING scars. Not sure about ice pic or boxcar. I haven't tried it, but you could ask other people on this board.

Greed rules lots of procedures and skin products not just at the Derms/PS but I do agree that it does...and lacks results. I have not seen any improvement in my rolling scars and I don't have icepic/boxcar scars after using dermal rollers. I have superficial scratch marks and no improvement in them either. I've been using dermal roller for over a year. I think dermal rollers are a waste of money. Why do you think they are always used in combination with retin-A, CP, and other topical agents because it's not effective alone or not effective altogether. I've fooled myself thinking it works but months later, swelling all gone, etc. it was back to the way it was.

MemberMember
(@tricia)

Posted : 02/07/2011 10:37 pm

The punch excisions and grafts is only going to work for fairly small scars. Ice picks would do alright. It they are wider, you will be offered subcision. If you find someone to do it with a scar that is a rolling type, let me know. I have hopes there will be a safer permanent filler one day that can be placed superfical, because the one's placed deeper don't really do squat for most scars.

MemberMember
(@bambeano)

Posted : 02/07/2011 10:56 pm

If the scar is to wide and/or big then a scar excision could be done. Some with vouch that silikon 1000 is safe depending if you aren't allergic to it and the skilled injector...it's permanent.

MemberMember
(@r800)

Posted : 02/08/2011 6:26 am

thinkin bout it evry single day..

make me crazy, make me wanna be Physical surgeon

woooooooooahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

crazy..

oh i thought someday stem cell can repair my scar face

MemberMember
(@tricia)

Posted : 02/08/2011 12:48 pm

I had two rounds of silicone and there wasn't a dramatic improvement, I believe because a. it was placed deeper than the scar, just pushing the whole thing up a little, or b. my body just did not respond as expected, and did not build sufficient collagen.

However, my scars did fill up pretty good directly after needling or injections, and they do fill up when stretched. So you'd think there would be *room* for a substance and I don't need subcision. But I may still get subcision when I get some extra money.

MemberMember
(@bambeano)

Posted : 02/08/2011 2:36 pm

I had two rounds of silicone and there wasn't a dramatic improvement, I believe because a. it was placed deeper than the scar, just pushing the whole thing up a little, or b. my body just did not respond as expected, and did not build sufficient collagen.

However, my scars did fill up pretty good directly after needling or injections, and they do fill up when stretched. So you'd think there would be *room* for a substance and I don't need subcision. But I may still get subcision when I get some extra money.

sorry to hear about that. best to find someone who is skilled with the micro droplet injection technique. sometimes they do a little subcision then inject the filler to form a pocket.

MemberMember
(@star-kim)

Posted : 02/08/2011 3:36 pm

Does anyone know someone who has had punch grafting done?

MemberMember
(@allex)

Posted : 02/08/2011 4:20 pm

it is not popular because it is not as fancy as those "new lasers" and the doctors can't charge $$$. More importantly, it requires lots of experiences and high skills, which means it is easy for the doctors to screw up. Lasers are easy to operate (anyone can do after a few months training I believe) and there is minimal risk of big screw ups. The worse you get is no results.

I personally will never do a laser again.

I do disagree with your comment about TCA CROSS. It does work on icepicks. Worked for me at least. I had 6 sessions done by a Korean doctor which I believe did help with many icepicks.

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 02/08/2011 8:21 pm

Allex are you asian-skinned?

People had it done years ago during the dermabrasion frenzy. I have no idea how their results help up.

MemberMember
(@allex)

Posted : 02/09/2011 10:32 am

People had it done years ago during the dermabrasion frenzy. I have no idea how their results help up.

Yes, I am east Asian.

When you say "it", you mean TCA or dermabrasion?

I had dermabrasion done once. Face remained red/pink for 4-6 months (embarassing), and minimum results.

I am pretty sure TCA cross succesfully filled many of my icepicks. I would do more if I can afford the downtime (a week every month). Right now I have many rolling scars and some box scars.

MemberMember
(@r800)

Posted : 02/09/2011 12:22 pm

so many asian ppl skin,good result with tca cross..

i saw my doc patience picture..

MemberMember
(@star-kim)

Posted : 02/09/2011 1:07 pm

Yes, I am east Asian.

I had dermabrasion done once. Face remained red/pink for 4-6 months (embarassing), and minimum results.

I am pretty sure TCA cross succesfully filled many of my icepicks. I would do more if I can afford the downtime (a week every month). Right now I have many rolling scars and some box scars.

Dermabrasion not even worked on your rolling/box scars?

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 02/09/2011 5:41 pm

Yes, I am east Asian.

I have a theory that asians have good results with cross, while caucasians don't have as great results.

I meant Punch graft + derma for the OP.

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 02/09/2011 6:04 pm

Yes, I am east Asian.

I have a theory that asians have good results with cross, while caucasians don't have as great results. Asians shouldn't get dermabrasion.

MemberMember
(@ughwtf)

Posted : 02/09/2011 8:06 pm

This sounds amazing (punch grafting) I just started reading about it, I am going to do some more research into as well. Please send me anything you find, or post it here.

I am very excited about this, I hope it doesnt turn out to be just another hope and dream. Do you have any before and after pictures you have come across?

In theory this sounds great. It seems the biggest concern would be potential discoloration, which I would gladly take over having these pitted scars. I mean I wear make up to try and hide these scars, it would be alot easier to hide a slight discoloration thats for sure.

Please keep me updated.

MemberMember
(@allex)

Posted : 02/10/2011 10:57 am

Yes, I am east Asian.

Dermabrasion not even worked on your rolling/box scars?

I can't say it didn't make any improvement, but I honestly didn't SEE any improvement. For me, it was not worth the time and money. my scars on my cheeks and jawlines are shallow but they are still there

MemberMember
(@allex)

Posted : 02/10/2011 11:00 am

Yes, I am east Asian.

I have a theory that asians have good results with cross, while caucasians don't have as great results. Asians shouldn't get dermabrasion.

It is possible, considering the technique was invented by a Korean doctor...

I came to agree that Asians should not have any sort of invasive laser/dermabrasion.

MemberMember
(@star-kim)

Posted : 02/10/2011 12:09 pm

UghWtf said:
This sounds amazing (punch grafting) I just started reading about it, I am going to do some more research into as well. Please send me anything you find, or post it here.

I am very excited about this, I hope it doesnt turn out to be just another hope and dream. Do you have any before and after pictures you have come across?

In theory this sounds great. It seems the biggest concern would be potential discoloration, which I would gladly take over having these pitted scars. I mean I wear make up to try and hide these scars, it would be alot easier to hide a slight discoloration thats for sure.

Please keep me updated.

I am as well researching about punch grafting, so u too please send me anything u find, or post it here!!

My e-mail: [Removed]

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 02/10/2011 4:14 pm

Yes, I am east Asian.

It is possible, considering the technique was invented by a Korean doctor...

I came to agree that Asians should not have any sort of invasive laser/dermabrasion.

I know. I started to have the theory when I looked at before/afters on here and the only people with good results (out of the photos) were asians. I remembered that a Korean MD pioneered it and tested it on asians. Asians also have thicker skin than Caucasians. It's just a theory...

MemberMember
(@bambeano)

Posted : 02/10/2011 10:40 pm

I find faults saying Asians or Caucasians can't or can do this and that. Asians are a group of many races thus different skin types and thickness even within one race. An individual will just have to gauge his or her own skin to find what's suitable or not. What one can say for sure that one's skin color can effect laser treatment as darker the skin tone the more laser/light rays it absorbs.