Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fmylife91

Will Retin-A clear up my skin? (with pic)

I've been on retin-a since november and i've noticed improvement but it's working soo slowly.

I was wondering if any of you had some suggestions to clear up my skin.

post-144847-1297118332_thumb.png

post-144847-1297118332_thumb.png

Well, I'm not sure how far you've come, but keep in mind that it's only been 3 months. Some people see a lot of change in that time, but others take much, much longer. I'd stick it out a bit more. I think the reason so many people don't think retin-a will help is because they get discouraged quickly, but most effective treatments require a lot of patience. It's definitely not fun to wait, but I think with the amount of time you've been on it, I can't really make much of a definite call on whether or not your acne will go away entirely.

I've been on retin-a since november and i've noticed improvement but it's working soo slowly.

I was wondering if any of you had some suggestions to clear up my skin.

Hi, I've been on differin .3 since November myself. Although retin a and differin are two different types and strengths of retinol, they're suppose to reach the same goal. Your skin looks like it's going through the healing process. You have a lot of red marks. I do myself. We had a similar breakout. If you look at my gallery you'll see how badly my face is covered with the marks. Thankfully differin and the rest of my regimen (duac, doxy, yaz) helped to rid me of active acne but I'm left with the marks. So I started exfoliating using the baby brush method. I'm not sure what stage your skin is at as far as healing goes. Retinols thin the skin out so wait until your skin is starting to look a little more healthy and not stretchy and weird in the red marks areas. That's how my skin was. As soon as I saw that my skin had healed to the extent to which I can start exfoliating, I jumped on it.

I'm using a brush I bought from the body shop. It's kind of small which gets annoying but it's easy to hold onto. The picture below is of the one I'm using. So all I do is use either cetaphil or clean and clear exfoliating scrub and cover my face with the wash and scrub away in gentle circular motions all over my face.

http://www.thebodyshop-usa.com/skin-care-a...ries/prod638819

Hang in there! This will be over for the both of us before we know it :)

Hi!

My dermatologist just told to use Retin A.. but Im not sure if I want it. I think I only have hyperpigmentation and I never had a lot of acne... I`ve heard that the Retin A can cause breakouts :/

would you recomend it?

I've been on Retin a for 2 and a half months now. Almost all of my acne has gone away on the places I use it (I don't use it on forehead because my hair covers there and I don't get zits there for the most part). I'm happy, yet sad because I have a bunch of PIH red marks leftover and hate looking in the mirror :(. I wish I knew what to do...I've been thinking of getting a chemical peel to get rid of the PIH. Good idea?

Hi - i share a similar story like the others. I use Retin A cream at night and I think it works but takes a while. I've been using it since December but that was when I broke out like insane. It helped get rid off the acne but now i don't know how effective it is with the marks. Fingers crossed it will work!

I've also heard some other natural remedies that help with the scarring - drink hot water + lemon. It apparently heals the skin. Google some of this stuff or check it out on this forum

Actually this may be a silly question but I wanted to ask people a few things:

1 - how do you apply your retin a cream?

I wash my face, let it dry, then just apply the cream and massage it slightly to let it absorb. I wait for it to settle then apply jojoba oil or a moisturizer all over

2 - How does this work as an exfoliant when it's more a cream than with beads?

Any ideas?

Actually this may be a silly question but I wanted to ask people a few things:

1 - how do you apply your retin a cream?

I wash my face, let it dry, then just apply the cream and massage it slightly to let it absorb. I wait for it to settle then apply jojoba oil or a moisturizer all over

2 - How does this work as an exfoliant when it's more a cream than with beads?

Any ideas?

To get your skin accustomed to Retin-A, it is best to use a small pea sized amount every day depending on how well you tolerate the retinoid. If you use just a tiny amount every day, then your skin slowly starts to adjust to the cream. It seems to me as if you are applying it correctly. Retinoids (Isotretinoin, Retin-A, Alpha Hydroxy Acid, Retinol) work as exfoliants because they encourage rapid cell turnover and unglue the dead skin cells that cause red and brown marks to stick around on your face. When I was taking Accutane, my face was flaky every day, but now that I'm off it and my face isn't irritated, my skin is looking very clear because of the dead skin falling off my face. The average human sheds many skin cells in one day, but retinoids encourage the acceleration of the shedding of the skin cells.