Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Michellica

Could it be?

Hey there,

So I've been taking 50mg of zinc gluconate daily for the last year, and after 5 months of supplementation I started to notice little pin prick red dots on my upper arms. I didn't think anything of it at first, but now I have them all over both arms and am starting to get some on my chest as well. I have asked both a dermatologist and a general doctor about them and they seem to know about as much as I do, or even less. Anyway, I was wondering if they could be related to the zinc supplement somehow? Has anyone else experienced this or have any ideas/info on it? I am scared to stop taking zinc in fear of a horrible breakout, but I don't want to hurt my body and cause much more serious problems. Please reply, thank you.

Edited by Michellica

50 mg is 333% of the rda, that is way too much long term and depletes copper.

there is no way to know the marks are related, the only way to know is to stop taking zinc and see if it goes away, then you will know.

Edited by AutonomousOne1980

Hey, I have something like this too.

Its not necessarily red, but like small elevated bumps.

I also sometimes feel a needle poking sensation when I get like hot or sweaty.

Its like on my shoulders and upper arms and upper chest and back.

Hmm, maybe our cases are similar.

50 mg is 333% of the rda, that is way too much long term and depletes copper.

there is no way to know the marks are related, the only way to know is to stop taking zinc and see if it goes away, then you will know.

Thanks for your fast reply!! I am scared to stop the zinc cold turkey because my skin is clear right now (don't want to breakout again). Should I maybe cut the pills in half (25mg) and see, or would that not work?

Hey, I have something like this too.

Its not necessarily red, but like small elevated bumps.

I also sometimes feel a needle poking sensation when I get like hot or sweaty.

Its like on my shoulders and upper arms and upper chest and back.

Hmm, maybe our cases are similar.

Do you take a zinc supplement too? My dots/flecks are not raised and they don't itch or burn or anything like that...

Yes, I do.

Oh and I guess our cases aren't really similar.

Oh, and yah, judging from your picture I'm guessing you are a girl, and females tend to need less zinc then guys (from what I'm aware of)

So, yah 25mg could probably be sufficient. And as the other guy said, you could try and cut it out for a bit and see if it subsides.

Also, how long have you had it for? How long ago did you start the zinc and did you change anything else??

Reducing your dosage might be a good idea. My mom told me that when she was a teenager, she took zinc for acne, and she had an allergic reaction to it. It's entirely possible that might be what's wrong with you. Or like the first poster said, it could be copper deficiency; as dermatitis can be a symptom of that. Nuts, legumes, and organ meats are good sources of copper.

Good luck! :]

Yes, I do.

Oh and I guess our cases aren't really similar.

Oh, and yah, judging from your picture I'm guessing you are a girl, and females tend to need less zinc then guys (from what I'm aware of)

So, yah 25mg could probably be sufficient. And as the other guy said, you could try and cut it out for a bit and see if it subsides.

Also, how long have you had it for? How long ago did you start the zinc and did you change anything else??

How much/what kind do you take? Has it helped? I am terrified of cutting down my dosage, but I know that I have to do this for my health... haha, yes, I am a female ;). I wonder if the dots are permanent though? Hmm, I hope not. I first started noticing them in June of 2010 (I started zinc in January of 2010). The only thing that's changed is I had to get off of Yaz bcp back in May of 2010...

Edited by Michellica

Reducing your dosage might be a good idea. My mom told me that when she was a teenager, she took zinc for acne, and she had an allergic reaction to it. It's entirely possible that might be what's wrong with you. Or like the first poster said, it could be copper deficiency; as dermatitis can be a symptom of that. Nuts, legumes, and organ meats are good sources of copper.

Good luck! :]

What happened to her - what were her symptoms? I don't eat any of those, so I am really thinking it's a copper deficiency caused by taking zinc for so long. Grr, I hate how one supplement can throw everything else off.

Thank you! :)

continue with zinc, just take a big cup of cacao in the mornings, with a good dose of cocoa powder, then you'll get the copper

Has zinc made a difference in improving your skin? I'm wondering if it's helped me at all, or if I have just grown dependent on it. Ugh, it's just so scary to face a possible bad breakout. I will look into the cacao though, thank you :).

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY

u use it for that long? :eh: maybe your body have become dependent on it but at the same time ur overdosing it? 50 mg a day for a year seems alot to me but im just wondering :shrug:

Let's assume zinc is working for you and your body is using it effectively. The problem that could rise from taking above normal doses is the depletion of copper. When copper depletes, other skin problems start to occur (brittle hair for example). You need to take the appropriate ratio to avoid copper deficiency, which is what I last read was 10:1 (zinc:copper). In your case, for every 50 grams of Zinc you need 5 grams of copper.

Copper Sebecate is a good supplement as I read it absorbs better than other forms of copper.

Now of course you can always get copper naturally from food and water which I highly recommend. However, for now seek out a supplement and correct those ratios until you find a better way to get your nutrients naturally through diet without adding supplements.

It sounds like you have "blood worts", my dad has them and I sort of have them, their just real small dots of red in random places around your body, basically exactly what you described. They are completely benign and not something to be worried about, unless you notice one is bigger, different color, weird shape, etc. then you should get it checked out. They are kind of contagious, apparently, according to my mom she never had them, but then she got them from my dad. You may have gotten them from someone you know or "spent time with" if you know what i mean. Or you may have inherited them from a family member, thats how i got mine, but they're really so small you'd have to be looking for them to actually spot one and very sparse on my body (knock on wood, right). As for them being associated with zinc I really couldnt tell you, but I doubt it. I also doubt that the zinc is holding back some horrid breakout. Zinc really didnt do that much for me and its main effect is to help with healing already pre-existing pimples, at least thats what I always associated with zinc. Also, like other people ahve been posting its probably not a good idea to take it for a long period of time, especially if it is a large dose. Hope i was helpful. pce. switch

if you decided to give up supplementing such high doses of zinc be careful not to induce the 'rebound effect'- organism in the state of hyper supplementation somehow gives up on storing mechanisms (why bother if you are continually provided with certain nutrients?) and suddenly cut of from the constant inflow falls into the state of depletion with the whole 'benefit of inventory'...

Wow, thanks for all the responses! I have decided to cut my tablets in half (25mg) and see what happens. Unfortunately, it's also that time of month which usually means a hormonal breakout so I can't judge it's effect yet. If my skin doesn't freak out from less zinc I will probably stop taking it all together. Or should I just see if I can get my zinc/copper levels tested? Ugh, so stressed out! Anyway, I will post updates and I would love to hear other people's experiences with zinc supplementation, etc. Thanks!

Edited by Michellica

hey michelle, i think it might be something to do with your capillaries, i used to get them on my legs they were like mini small bursted capillaries, all i know is once i started taking vitamin c with rutin (bioflavonoid) go to your local health food store they should have it, and ask for it, basically rutin helps strength those capillaries after taking them for like a couple weeks it was all gone and i havent had to problem ever sicnce, and i completly doubt its from the zinc. im suprised how stupid the dermatologist and doctors are LOL well atleast from the description u said thats what it sounds like to me :) btw miss talking beeen so busy with school :( have no life right now LOL also rutin helps with absorbing the vitamin c better thats why sometimes u can find them combined together i suggest taking those since u get the vitamin c benefits too! :dance:

hey michelle, i think it might be something to do with your capillaries, i used to get them on my legs they were like mini small bursted capillaries, all i know is once i started taking vitamin c with rutin (bioflavonoid) go to your local health food store they should have it, and ask for it, basically rutin helps strength those capillaries after taking them for like a couple weeks it was all gone and i havent had to problem ever sicnce, and i completly doubt its from the zinc. im suprised how stupid the dermatologist and doctors are LOL well atleast from the description u said thats what it sounds like to me :) btw miss talking beeen so busy with school :( have no life right now LOL also rutin helps with absorbing the vitamin c better thats why sometimes u can find them combined together i suggest taking those since u get the vitamin c benefits too! :dance:

Hey Jaro!

I was thinking it was something to do with my capillaries as well... which would be a sign of a copper deficiency. Did you/do you take zinc? I cut my tablets in half (25mg) for the last few days and my skin is looking worse but it is that time of the month, so I don't know. I wouldn't think it would make a difference that quickly, do you? So all of your red dots went away after starting vit c?! Do you still take it? I might go get some then!! And yes, my derm and doctor frustrate me to no end!! Aww, I miss talking to you as well. I hope school is going well for you. Hang in there!

Edited by Michellica

Update: I am quitting zinc immediately! I have been doing a ton of research and it is really dangerous to supplement with such a high amount of zinc (50mg) for a prolonged amount of time. It can deplete your body of copper and iron causing defecencies and some pretty dangerous side effects. I am now almost certain where my weird skin problems (red dots/broken blood vessels, rashes, patches of dermatitis) have stemmed from. Please be careful with supplementayion everyone! I am going to make an appointment with my doctor asap and get my levels checked. I will update once I do.

"As zinc supplementaion is becoming more popular, the effect of reduced copper absorption seen with increased zinc consumption will probably make deficiencies of copper become more common.

Signs & Symptoms

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fatigue, paleness, skin sores, edema, slowed growth, hair loss, anorexia, diarrhea and dermatitis can be symptoms of copper insufficiency.

The reduced red blood cell function and shortened red cell life span found with copper deficiency can influence energy levels and cause weakness and labored respiration from decreased oxygen delivery. Low copper levels may also affect collagen formation and thus tissue health and healing. Reduced thyroid function, cardiovascular disease, increased cholesterol, uric acid and blood pressure, impaired glucose tolerance, thrombosis, oxidative damage, skeletal defects related to bone demineralization and poor nerve conductivity (copper deficiency adversely affects electrocardiograms) - including irregular heart rhythms - can all result from copper depletion."

lol its not the vitamin c thats the most important in this case its bioflavonoid called RUTIN in combination with vitamin c that helps, trust me go to a health food store and ask for a bioflavnoid called rutin, bioflavnoid are like well id consider them like mini vitamins, the rutin will strengthen your capillaries and those dots wiill be gone beleive me lol, and thanks!

continue with zinc, just take a big cup of cacao in the mornings, with a good dose of cocoa powder, then you'll get the copper

Has zinc made a difference in improving your skin? I'm wondering if it's helped me at all, or if I have just grown dependent on it. Ugh, it's just so scary to face a possible bad breakout. I will look into the cacao though, thank you :).

Yes Zinc is probably the number one supplementation you can take against acne. But if you feel uncomfortable with 50mg, try a lower dose.