Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chubbycabra

cleansers, lip balms and moisturizers suited for accutane

Okee, accutane starts in a month.

I have found a lovely friend on a site where I have my own business and she makes an extra rich soap for accutane users. S'posed to be super mild and really help. So, I am going to order that today.

Can any of you recommend stuff that you use to combat the dryness associated w accutane? Lip balms, moisture, washes etc?

Thanks!!

carmex for your lips, 'simple' mositurisers are great, some vasaline for your lips at night an for anything else you might need it for. Also your skin gets really dry when you come out the shower so i use 'oilatum' moisturiser in the shower which helps alot. Any other moisturisers in the shower help and 'polytar' helps your scalp if you need that. Your not really supposed to use any face washes or exfoliators because you dont want your skin to feel worse, mine has got more sensitive so i dont use any at all, but i have heard alot of people using light cleansers. My side effects got worse progressively so id just start with carmex and a good mosituriser, and then move onto oilatum and polytar because they are quite expensive, especially if you dont need them. If your on a high dose i would recommend you get them anyway. One of the best and cheapest ways to combat dryness is also to drink lots of water, i found it helps with other side effects like headaches and tiredness ( if you get them ), hopefully you wont.

Good luck! message me if you need help x

I use Cera Vae Cleanser as well as Cera Vae moisturizers as well.

Neosporin Lip Therapy works well for the lips. I dont like Aquaphor that much but i've found that applying a lot of chap stick on after getting out of the shower works well, Just make sure you always have chap stick on you wherever you go.

Here's what my derm suggested:

Cetaphil cleanser (or CeraVe if the Cetaphil gets to be too harsh)

Neutrogena oil-free moisturizer with SPF (really important that you wear sunscreen on Accutane!)

Aquaphor lip moisturizer (actually medicates & heals the cracks, unlike chapstick). I've also heard that Carmex and Vaseline work well.

For shaving, Aveeno therapeutic shave gel

For body moisturizer, Eucerin intensive repair.

This is just what I use. There are tons of options out there. :)

I really love Lypsyl for my chapped lips. It's very hydrating and way better than Aquaphor, Vaseline, or Carmex.

Search for it on Amazon.

Edited by Rattina89

I've tried Vaseline on my lips at night and I've found the Vaseline makes my lips burn slightly. If I'm just hanging out at home I'll rub Cetaphil cream (in the jar) on my lips as I putter around my apartment doing stuff. I found the Carmex dried me out more. I just use Oil of Olay bars for facial cleanser and use Cetaphil lotion or cream to moisturize my face. I like Gold Bond Shea Butter lotion for hands/body, it's amazing. I don't know if you're male/female but I LOVE Clinique's Superbalm in Black Honey. It's a Sephora exclusive (which I find irritating even though I have 2 Sephoras in town) but you can buy it online if you don't live near one. It looks dark and intimidating but the color goes on very subtly. I am super pale and it gives me the perfect hint of color. It sticks on my lips but is not sticky. I have problems with other balms getting wiped off/absorbed too quickly but that Clinique stuff is my favorite, plus it is soothing and nonirritating for me.

Hey!

I recommend Cetaphil cleanser and moisturising lotion (a bit better for daytime, not quite as thick) amazing for while on accutane and after. I also used a facial oil at night to combat scarring and hydrate overnight. A great lipbalm is Elizabeth Arden 8 Hour Cream- it worked wonders!

Bec :)

I like Burts Bees Wax lip balm, but I have started to get small spots around my lips and it could be due to this. It is a shame as it is really rather good.

I have started using Blistex Intensive moisture as a temporary subsitute until I find a good noncomedogenic lip balm, as the Blistex is thick and I would say it may cause breakouts.

Does anybody know if this is any good, and if so is it non-comedogenic?

http://www.boots.com/en/Nivea-Lip-Care-Essential_1417/

I also use carmex for my lips works great for me just make sure you always have it on you! For a moisturiser I would highly recommend Aveeno, I recently had a dry skin rash on my hands and tried a few moisturisers which either didn't work or really stung. Aveeno worked wonders on it and the rash was completely gone within days. I personally find using too many products on my face makes me breakout so I just wash my face with soap and don't use anything else on it. For face moisturiser I use elizabeth arden 8 hour moisturiser you only need to use a tiny bit and it keeps my skin from drying out.

Good luck on your accutane!