Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BeadyB

Just realized I would be clear If I didn't pick.

Just had the realization that I would be clear if I didn't pick. I often create spots from picking. Or I interrupt the healing process to "make it look better". I even scrubbed a healed spot yesterday, and the skin is raw, red, and has that clear liquid now. I kinda hate myself right now.

I suck.

Ugh, I do this too. My skin is actually pretty nice, but I'll, like, seek out any imperfections and pick at them in an attempt to "clear" my skin, which inevitably leaves me covered in red marks. Boo.

I painstakingly learned that any kind of raw area on my face is bad. I used to obsess about getting the white stuff out of any blemish on my face, big or small. This would lead to me inspecting, squeezing, and tearing into my face until it was red, swollen and sometimes bleeding. At the moment it seemed like a good idea but I know now to leave my face alone and let my skin heal itself over time.

Dab an acne mask on your zits if you can't stop looking at them! Anytime I get that urge to squeeze a zit, I just put some Proactiv mask on it and walk away from the mirror. Trust me, your skin will look 10x better if you just stop squeezing/picking at it.

Edited by lightersUP

Yup, me too.

The thing is, I know it's not a good idea and it will only make things worse but I still stand at the mirror (or sit at my desk) and pick away. If I feel a scab or something I have to pick at it until it feels smooth, even though that looks worse it's like a part of my brain thinks it's gone because I can't feel it anymore.

It makes me kinda hate myself too, I think I'd be pretty hot if my skin wasn't so scabby and I've given myself scars on my cheeks. I'm trying the BP thing at the moment but it makes my spots dry and scabby so I'm picking like never before. I think until I sort the picking BP is never going to work!

My sole reason in joining this forum though is to try to break the habit with the help and support of other people's experiences. Picking isn't something other people seem to do and it's not something I feel comfortable talking about so hopefully here there will be some support and I won't feel like a leper!

Also, I used to bite my nails but now I don't so it must be possible to break the habit :)

Ahh thanks guys. It's nice to know I'm not the only crazy person out there! LOL

But in all honesty, this sucks. I need to stop. I never used to do this. Well, I used to have perfect skin too.. If I didn't look in the mirror, I'd bet my skin would stay clear!

@Miss Liv, I bite my nails too. Or pick at my cuticles and create hang nails. UGH.

Is this OCD?

Something worked for me

I did a quick journal about the time i pick my skin and why i.e bored/ irritated / not thinking

Starting today ill keep count.. purchase one of those golf counters ( google it) and keep a tally and punish your self... e.g. 1-5 bucks per pick and the proceeds goes to charity or a worthy cause?

Also stay away from the mirror! its our number 1 enemy!

And we can't go cold turkey from picking.. so do it step by step reduce it step by step

Agreed. Definitely need to keep track of your progress and hold yourself accountable (which is why I'm keeping a personal log). Why not try keeping a photo journal? That way, when you're tempted to pick, just look back at your worst pictures to remind yourself of the consequences.

the whole photo journal may not work.. its a bit similiar to a smoker... they smoke and they know it leads to cancer and a long list of other issues..

but regardless i take daily pics of my self just to compare... my iphone photo album loosk gross

the whole photo journal may not work.. its a bit similiar to a smoker... they smoke and they know it leads to cancer and a long list of other issues..

but regardless i take daily pics of my self just to compare... my iphone photo album loosk gross

Right but with acne, there is definitely visible results on the skin. If you're ever tempted to pick your spots, just look back at your worse picture and tell yourself that's how you'll be again if you do it.

my iphone photo album loosk gross

So I'm not the only one! Someone went through my iPhone's camera roll the other day and I was super embarassed.

Had to check this section of the message boards for a bit of info/hope...

I had a a few pimples on my face yesterday - one above my top lip, one to the left of my mouth and one to the right - that was it. The pigmentation of my skin's never great - sometimes it can look really orange - but otherwise, all I had was literally just these three pimples.

I went to a gig last and and I sweated a lot. A HELL OF A LOT. I knew it would have an affect on my skin but when you're in a moment and enjoying yourself, you just go for it. It's not often I feel that way and can actually enjoy myself in a crowd because I always feel so self conscious around people.

I returned home to find the pimple above my lip and the pimple to the left of my mouth where now very big and sore, complete with huge whiteheads. Gross!

They were certainly ready to squeeze, so I was right to do so, but it was the way I went about it that was the problem.

I know I should have just removed the whitehead cleanly, cleaned the spot and treated it.

Instead, I kept squeezing and squeezing and squeezing. Then, as ever when stood in the mirror and studying every aspect of my skin like it's a big deal, went looking for other spots and anything to squeeze.

No idea why I do this, given that I know what the outcome is going to be. Been this way for years. Don't like to think that other people go through this, but at the same time it's nice to know that other people know where I'm coming from.

So now I'm sat at home alone, instead of going out because my skin's a mess, with massive blemishes that would have otherwise been small spots. And I saw fit to have a go at my nose as well and squeeze a few blackheads which had become more prominent due to sweating. But of course, I went about that the wrong way too, so now my nose is all cut, sore and bright red, with even redder lumps where the blackheads were.

As I said, I could have otherwise had three pimples and a few noticeable blackheads. Perhaps not amazing, but not really anything at all to worry about. Now it's a mess and will probably take a week to heal, meaning the working week ahead is going to be hell.

It's only now that I start to realise, having read this section of the board, that there are compulsive cycles to this. Like an addiction. Reckon it's about time I try and beat it.

Edited by PaulH85

yeah I aggree with what everyones saying, but when your on accutane and your face ITCHES TO FUCKKKK, and irritates you to the point you start scratching your hair and shit, you cant do nothing but pick them fuckers to get rid of the EXTREME itching and irritation