Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
molizzie

Bite me, Acne. Meet Accutane.

Hello Everyone!

My name is MoLizzie and I am so excited to finally be on the verge of starting Accutane. I am 23 years old and have suffered from intermittent cystic/nodular and pustule acne for the last 8 years. I have tried an endless array of antibiotic oral and topical medications, oral retinoids and corticosteroids. There have been 'dry spells' where my skin was not that bad, but as of recently it has gotten a lot worse. I have nodular acne on my scalp, neck, jawline, and cheeks. I am seeing my dermatologist to get started on accutane this next Friday. Needless to say, I am PUMPED. I know there are side effects, but honestly, having this acne is worse than any dry skin or a bloody nose. Once I am done with accutane, I am done with acne (fingers crossed).

If anyone has any advice as I am about to start IPledge this week, and will have another month until I start the medication, please feel free to share!

MoLizzie

Edited by molizzie

Hi MoLizzie! Congrats on being on your way to starting accutane! :dance:

I am right there with you. I'm 23, and I've had on-and-off cystic/nodular acne for two years. I'm set to take my first pill on the 28th of February and am so pumped! We will be really close together during treatment, so it would be great to stay in touch.

The derm didn't give me any specific pre-accutane skin-care info. She was nice enough to give me a bunch of topicals, but I've decided to just give my skin a break before the accutane. My skincare regimen should show up in my signature, if I did it right.

iPledge is not too bad, so far, although there are lots of horror stories, so maybe following up every step of the way with your derm and/or her nurse just to make sure everything is going as planned? That's what I'm doing. My derm had them send me my password/username by snail mail, I logged on, and now I'm just waiting 20 more days before I can take my second pregnancy test and get this started!

Great job on posting pre-accutane pics :clap: It will be so exciting to see all your improvement across your treatment!

Edited by peripatetic

Thank you so much! Wooo! Yes, you are close!

Cetaphil is the best :) Yeah, I am going to give my skin a break too. It is so hard not to pick or pop zits...as terrible as that sounds they hurt so bad and I feel like it always feels better if I do. However, I hesitate because I don't want any scars once I am done :)

I was on accutane for a week about three years ago. I was going through a pretty rough patch after a friend passed away. I had non-stop crying spells...they were TERRIBLE. So they took me off it after a week...but I honestly think it only had to do with my rough patch. There are horror stories, yes. But, if mentally you are doing well everything should be great! I am excited to give this another shot! My brother was on it for two cycles---his acne was a lot worse than mine--and his skin is awesome now. Unfortunately, this whole process is more of a pain for girls but it will be worth it!

Are the pictures showing up? Ha, I feel like an oldie, I can't figure it out!

I am excited for you too! Keep me posted :)

Hi MoLizzie! Yes, the picture link works too. Haha, I know what you mean about feeling like an oldie.

And it is so much more involved for girls, wth?! I mean, I enjoy attention to my health, but going every month for tons of tests and a pregnancy test is truly excessive. Some of the Canadian girls on this site have been saying it's not required up there, pretty awesome!

Hopefully you will be fine on accutane, and you can always chat with everyone here about what you are going through. Sadness-wise, I think I experienced a mild depression after the death of a friend and my mom's chemotherapy (same, about three years ago). Lots of sleepiness and sobbing. But I agree that it was context-related, so didn't really mention that to my derm... :shifty:

Hey girl! thanks for posting on my log!

As far as the running goes I'd say just follow EVERY precaution you've ever NOT had to follow as a normal runner :) What I mean by that is stretch before/after every run. Make sure you do a warm up and cool down. Ice bath on long runs (if you do those) and foam roll constantly. Also, I take fish oil, it really helps. Your joints are going to ache more and your muscles are going to feel much more beat up but if you follow every precaution you can you should be fine.

I never had to do any of that stuff. Literally I just walked out of the house and ran. Now I make sure I do everything I just mentioned and it's definitely manageable. I still have more soreness than I used to (especially when I strength train) but it works :).

Let me know how it goes!

You know what I love?!A GIANT WHITE HEAD THAT SHOULD HAVE ITS OWN ADDRESS. Oh, hot damn. This IS my jam. I feel like I need one of those cones that dogs get after they have a procedure because all I want to do is pop it. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Hurry up, Friday, HURRY UP! I have had acne for so long, that I am always touching my face...ha people are probably wondering what's up with me.

Well, hey, on the bright side, at least I am not on that show called strange addictions. Life could be much worse, my friends. Much worse. You don't believe me? Do you EAT 25 tissues of Kleenex everyday? Didn't think so...

Thank God for humor. We need it.

Morgan and Myrtle (the white head)

Hey!

I've seen a show like that... there was a girl who was addicted to eating soap and laundry detergent, that was simply sick... Made me feel sorry for her, I mean can you imagine what went on inside her body from that... YUCK!!!

Good luck on getting accutane! You will feel so much better when you have it, even though it won't be an easy ride...

LOL about the my strange addiction. Love that show. Tonight's was about a guy who was addicted to eating glass? WTF where do they find these people. I know what you mean about the picking...I was really bad about it in the beginning. In my case it just wasn't realistic to stop picking completely, especially when my habit was so bad. My word of advice is maybe try squeezing it GENTLY like once or twice...if it won't budge then leave it alone til it's ready or goes away itself. Who knows maybe you're not like me and you actually have some self control and won't pick, haha. Good luck on your course! It'll go by in no time, I'm going onto my fourth month next Monday and it feels like I just started a week ago

@ Megan...I like the way you think!

So today I had a meeting with my Ob/Gyn to discuss BC options. Guys, consider yourselves lucky because we have to go through the ringer to get on accutane at all. Apparently, my clinic won't administer any BC unless you are on your period---because, women at the clinic have lied about being pregnant and they don't want to take any chances. First of all, who is that dumb to go on bc when you are pregnant? Beats. Me. Secondly, this means I might have to wait a little longer until I go on accutane...EFF.

School is stressing me out right now. Man, I am finishing my last semester and then all of this will be behind me. I am crossing my fingers that I am accepted into Teach for America...these next 7 months might be more transformational than I thought :)

MoLizzie

Edited by molizzie

Jeez, I feel for all of you that have to go through the iPledge system. Thankfully in the UK we dont have anything like that. All I had to to was a blood test and sign a piece of paper declaring that I wouldnt get pregnant on my course and voila, here are your pills!

Good luck though, hopefully you will be starting soon enough!

Aww that doesn't seem fair that they're making you wait until you get your period..they just gave me mine. Honestly if they had made me wait for my period to go on BC it probably would have taken like 6 months at least..that's how fd up my periods were. Couldn't they just let you take a pregnancy test or something and then start? Glad I don't have your ob-gyn! lol

26 days until I start! My dermatologist made me swear on my grave that I will practice abstinence until I am on BC--this way I can actually get started sooner. We also discussed the IB and she told me that it should not be an issue for me because while my acne is there, it isn't composed of large cysts that typically arise in an IB for people with severe acne. So hopefully when I am walking across the stage to receive my Bachelors of Science, I will look as good as I feel :)

I am so excited, things have really been going well. I made it to the second round of interviews for Teach For America, I was recruited for a HS coaching position, and I have a few other opportunities related to life after graduation. I know that once I have completed my accutane, I am going to be so confident...this acne is the only thing that holds me back.

Hope is just around the corner :)

MoLizzie

Now that its past midnight...only 21 days!!! :)

I am really breaking out thanks to Aunt Flow and her anticipated arrival any day. GAH. I am a little anxious thinking about starting...so, until I do, I am going to hold off on keeping regular posts all the time.

Does anyone practice hot yoga? I do, in addition to running, and I am wondering if that helps to clear things up for people or if it makes things worse in terms of breakouts.

Snow day here in the midwest tomorrow! Woo. I spent the whole day studying and taking it easy while the blizzard worked its magic. I love days like this :)

XO,

Mo Lizzie

Today was one of the days that will I will remember until the day I die. I had lunch with one of my professors and on our way back to class we came across a colleague of his whose mother was dying in hospice care. I realized while she was telling the stories about her mother and the care that she was getting to make her more comfortable in the process of dying, that some things truly matter and some truly don't. Originally, I had asked him to meet with me so we could discuss future options for me when I graduate in 8 weeks. After he gave this colleague his blessing and thoughts, we walked to class...and it was silent. We talked a little about death and life and how some things, a lot of things, seem irrelevant when that reality is set upon us.

I know my acne is bad and that it affects me; but, I also know that I am so thankful and grateful to be alive. The life overrules the crap to put it quite bluntly. It was there in that moment that I realized, that once I start Accutane I might not feel as self-conscious about my acne; but that it isn't going to change the way I live my life on its own. It is up to me, whether I am beautiful inside and out, or if I have bad acne, to make the most of life and appreciate what I am given every day.

That isn't to say that there are not days that are difficult when we have acne or any other 'stuff' going on in life. But, I hope that it changes the way we see it or let it affect our lives. My tune has been changed from here on out :)

I hope everyone believes they will get better with time (even on the worse days) and that they don't wait to start living according to when their faces are clear :)

XO

MoLizzie

I can totally relate to your last post. It's almost exactly how I feel everyday. A few spots are irrelevant when you think about the big picture. You only have one life to live, so why waste it waiting for clear skin?

Your stance might be more credible if it wasn't undermined by the fact that you wouldn't be posting on acne.org unless you were "waiting for clear skin".

Edited by jimmy188

I can totally relate to your last post. It's almost exactly how I feel everyday. A few spots are irrelevant when you think about the big picture. You only have one life to live, so why waste it waiting for clear skin?

Your stance might be more credible if it wasn't undermined by the fact that you wouldn't be posting on acne.org unless you were "waiting for clear skin".

@Perpetually Zitty: I can't say I feel the way I did when I wrote the post everyday. But, hey, I'm human! :) Today, I am breaking out everywhere; but, again, it is going to be much better in several months. It is way better to go into this with a positive attitude! I can't wait to have my skin as clear as it was in my picture. Every day is such a blessing--and we can't let a situation that will and is getting better the next several months get in our way of enjoying that.

@Jimmy: Hey there, I am not too sure by what you meant; but, I would like to keep this topic positive. We all are suffering from acne--that is why we are here, right? Have faith that everything can and will get better with your treatment and spread the hope to everyone else here, too!

--------

I start my treatment in less than 2 weeks which is so great and really exciting! I made it to the final round of Teach for America interviews!!!! :) and I am so thankful for this opportunity. My mom keeps reminding me to keep the best attitude that I can and stay positive :) I am going to take a break from updating regularly until I start on the 14th!

Be well!

Well, duh, of course I'm waiting for clear skin, my point was that you shouldn't waste your life locked inside your house, isolating yourself from doing activities you like with your friends and family just because you're having a bad skin day. Sorry if you couldn't wrap your head around that.

Acne affects us all emotionally/psychologically to some extent; that's why we're here; let's not pretend it doesn't.

Well, duh, of course I'm waiting for clear skin, my point was that you shouldn't waste your life locked inside your house, isolating yourself from doing activities you like with your friends and family just because you're having a bad skin day. Sorry if you couldn't wrap your head around that.

Hey girl,

This guy sucks...oh well. I am just not going to give it any more attention or energy. If he wants to miserable, let him. We on the other hand, while frustrated and dealing with feeling down on occasion are making the most of the situation. HOLLA to us and being positive! :)

Hope you had a good week!

xo

molizzie

Hey MoLizzie,

Great log! I just started my course on February 21st and so far I have had a good experience. I think I am just now starting my IB, but it's not too bad (yet..errr).

Good luck with everything! I will definitely follow your log to see how you are doing! I write one as well. :) Do you know how many mgs you will take?

Jackie

Good luck with Accutane!! It worked well for me. only bad thing was that it dried out my lips and face a lot but it was worth it. I took it back 2005 ish. Unfortunately.. about 6 months or so after I was off of it, my acne came back. I hope it works well for you :)

Hey MoLizzie,

Great log! I just started my course on February 21st and so far I have had a good experience. I think I am just now starting my IB, but it's not too bad (yet..errr).

Good luck with everything! I will definitely follow your log to see how you are doing! I write one as well. :) Do you know how many mgs you will take?

Jackie

Hi Jackie!

I read your log just now...I am so excited to follow your progress. I start in 8 days :) I am glad to hear things are going well so far. I don't know how cold and dry it is where you are; but, here in Minnesota, it is cold, dry, windy and the snow won't stop coming down :( Sunshine must be on its way soon!

Thank you so much for your well wishes! I am going to start out on 30 mgs at the beginning. I took it a few years ago and had some immediate adverse reactions so we are playing it safe this time :)

I saw that you are a teacher! I am prepping for my final interview with Teach for America next week--I am so excited and I can't wait to see what happens next.

I hope you had a terrific weekend!

Xo

MoLizzie

Good luck with Accutane!! It worked well for me. only bad thing was that it dried out my lips and face a lot but it was worth it. I took it back 2005 ish. Unfortunately.. about 6 months or so after I was off of it, my acne came back. I hope it works well for you :)

Thank you, TBR! I am very excited to begin in 8 short days :) What dosage were you taking when you were on it? Did you take it for 6 months? I am staying as positive as possible...this is going to be a great thing for me, I can't wait. Do you have a log of your own? Have you thought about going on it again? My brother took it twice and now his skin is amazing :)

Hope to see you around again soon!

MoLizzie