Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dnttreadonme900

I don't think the Doxy is working anymore...

This is what happened. I took Accutane for cystic acne back in 2008. Cleared me! Last summer, I started breaking out a little more than I'd like, nothing severe, no more than 5 zits at a time, but I didn't want it to get bad.

Went to the derm and he said it wasn't bad, but gave me Doxy and .025% tretinoin. Cleared up.

I went 3 weeks off of Doxy from 12/23 to 1/16...left my pills at school but didn't care too much because my skin was clear. Was using the tretinoin a little, but not that much.

When I got back to school, my face looked awful. I started my normal regime again and it got worse. I did a Jessner's peel and it cleared up. EXCEPT I got a cyst on my upper cheek.

That cyst took a few days to go down then a large pimple with a head appeared right below it. I used a hot compress on it and the head came off, but it didn't drain. So I left it and put BP on it. That then turned into a cyst. That slowly was shrinking only to be inflamed again when another cyst popped up right above that! WTF is going on here! I just had 3 cysts in 2 weeks. I had only gotten 2 cysts before in my whole life and that was before I went on Accutane. Because of my new insurance, I can't just call in for a cortisone injection anymore like I used to :cry:

I really want to try Bactrim. It's the only antibiotic I haven't tried EVER, even before Accutane. I'd love to go on Accutane to knock the little breakouts out once and for all if it wasn't such a hassle and there wasn't a threat of an IB. My IB on accutane was horrendous and my derm did nothing to help it.

My derm never really listens to what I say, I go back next month and I really want Bactrim, I'm gonna ask for it, do you think he'll give it to me?

Moved to antibiotic subforum.

To be honest, antibiotics are not the way to go in treating acne, from what I have seen. It is a temporary solution to a problem that, for many, can be persistent.

I don't mean to dishearten you, but I think topicals are the route you should take first and just know that Accutane really shouldn't be taken until all other options are explored first.

This is what happened. I took Accutane for cystic acne back in 2008. Cleared me! Last summer, I started breaking out a little more than I'd like, nothing severe, no more than 5 zits at a time, but I didn't want it to get bad.

Went to the derm and he said it wasn't bad, but gave me Doxy and .025% tretinoin. Cleared up.

I went 3 weeks off of Doxy from 12/23 to 1/16...left my pills at school but didn't care too much because my skin was clear. Was using the tretinoin a little, but not that much.

When I got back to school, my face looked awful. I started my normal regime again and it got worse. I did a Jessner's peel and it cleared up. EXCEPT I got a cyst on my upper cheek.

That cyst took a few days to go down then a large pimple with a head appeared right below it. I used a hot compress on it and the head came off, but it didn't drain. So I left it and put BP on it. That then turned into a cyst. That slowly was shrinking only to be inflamed again when another cyst popped up right above that! WTF is going on here! I just had 3 cysts in 2 weeks. I had only gotten 2 cysts before in my whole life and that was before I went on Accutane. Because of my new insurance, I can't just call in for a cortisone injection anymore like I used to :cry:

I really want to try Bactrim. It's the only antibiotic I haven't tried EVER, even before Accutane. I'd love to go on Accutane to knock the little breakouts out once and for all if it wasn't such a hassle and there wasn't a threat of an IB. My IB on accutane was horrendous and my derm did nothing to help it.

My derm never really listens to what I say, I go back next month and I really want Bactrim, I'm gonna ask for it, do you think he'll give it to me?

oh yeah if you ask your derm for bactrim they will definitley give it to you. just beward that a lot of people are allergic to sulfa drugs. that was one of the few besides the doxy i am now that i didnt try and i ended up being allergic to it. i took it for about 2 weeks and then broke out in a rash and had to take steroids for 5 days. no fun there but you wont know if you are allergic until you try it. good luck!!

I've been on Dorxy for the past 3 months and have seen improvements, but my skin is not where I thought it would after 3 grueling months on this stuff. I went to the derm about a week ago and she refused to prescribe me Bactrim. She says she wasn't a fan, but she was ready to write me a prescription for Accutane very quickly. I don't know. I really want to try Bactrim because I've heard that if you're not allergic, it can work wonders. I'm at my wits ends because now I get raised bumps on my skin that don't necessarily have any puss or anything, but still look horrible. I just want to be clear and not have to worry about my skin so much anymore. Oh btw, my regimen consists of the following.

AM

1 Dorxy

Aquaglycolic facial cleanser (helps with acne scars and oiliness)

Aczone over entire face or spot treat

Neutrogena SPF 35 (oil free, non comedogenic)

PM

Aquaglycolic facial cleanser

Acanya over entire face

Cetaphil Non comedeginic lotion

I was prescribed retin-A but way to scarred to take it due to all the horror stories. Help!!!

I've been on Dorxy for the past 3 months and have seen improvements, but my skin is not where I thought it would after 3 grueling months on this stuff. I went to the derm about a week ago and she refused to prescribe me Bactrim. She says she wasn't a fan, but she was ready to write me a prescription for Accutane very quickly. I don't know. I really want to try Bactrim because I've heard that if you're not allergic, it can work wonders. I'm at my wits ends because now I get raised bumps on my skin that don't necessarily have any puss or anything, but still look horrible. I just want to be clear and not have to worry about my skin so much anymore. Oh btw, my regimen consists of the following.

AM

1 Dorxy

PM

Acanya over entire face

I was prescribed retin-A but way to scarred to take it due to all the horror stories. Help!!!

wow that sucks that your derm wont give you bactrim. i think if you ask for it they should give it to you. thats crap!! i hope the retin-a works for you. dont be afraid of it. i used retin-a and retin-a micro a few times and it cleared me up pretty good but it made my face so red and it was peeling like crazy that i stopped using it. i have heard that if you stick with it though that it gets better. i think i only used it for 2-3 months at a time. good luck!!

AM

1 Dorxy

PM

Acanya over entire face

wow that sucks that your derm wont give you bactrim. i think if you ask for it they should give it to you. thats crap!! i hope the retin-a works for you. dont be afraid of it. i used retin-a and retin-a micro a few times and it cleared me up pretty good but it made my face so red and it was peeling like crazy that i stopped using it. i have heard that if you stick with it though that it gets better. i think i only used it for 2-3 months at a time. good luck!!

Did you have to go through the dreaded initial breakout when you were on retin-a? My doc suggested that I use it only a small area of face the beginning to see how my skin takes, but again, I just don't wan to go through all those breakouts. I think I may try and find another dermatologist who will prescribe me bactrim. It was weird because she wasn't willing to give bactrim, but was ready to write me a prescription for Accutane.

AM

1 Dorxy

PM

Acanya over entire face

Did you have to go through the dreaded initial breakout when you were on retin-a? My doc suggested that I use it only a small area of face the beginning to see how my skin takes, but again, I just don't wan to go through all those breakouts. I think I may try and find another dermatologist who will prescribe me bactrim. It was weird because she wasn't willing to give bactrim, but was ready to write me a prescription for Accutane.

you know i didnt have an intial breakout at all from retin-a. my face constantly was red and hot though but it was fairly clear. i dont know if its because i started using it when my face was a mess or not but it did help. i just didnt like the redness and peeling i got from it. yeah how crazy your derm wanted to give you the tane and not the bactrim. can you go to another derm in the same building? i wonder if somebody else would give you the bactrim or if you can call there and demand that you be put on it. i was on bactrim for 2 weeks a few years ago and ended up being allergic to it but i have heard it does work pretty well.

Edited by Karen Howz

I think it's great the doctor wouldn't give a life saving medication (Bactrim) for a non life threatening condition (acne). Bactrim should be reserved for only life-threatening conditions like MRSA as it's one of the few medicines left that will kill MRSA in an outpatient setting. Your doctor is simply trying to avoid antibiotic resistance. MRSA is on the rise, both nosocomial and community-acquired.

The Retin A may end up working great for you.

AM

1 Dorxy

PM

Acanya over entire face

Forget about antibiotics. It isn't "weird" for your derm to want to prescribe you Accutane, the gold standard treatment for acne that (despite its stigma) is actually safe. While I realise you want to avoid an IB, any worthwhile acne treatment by definition involves one. What troubles me is your reluctance to try Accutane again, particularly since it has cleared you previously.

Edited by jimmy188

AM

1 Dorxy

PM

Acanya over entire face

Forget about antibiotics. It isn't "weird" for your derm to want to prescribe you Accutane, the gold standard treatment for acne that (despite its stigma) is actually safe. While I realise you want to avoid an IB, any worthwhile acne treatment by definition involves one. What troubles me is your reluctance to try Accutane again, particularly since it has cleared you previously.

I have absolutely no reason to go on Accutane again. Accutane, although very effective, caused me problems I have now. My cholesterol is high because of it, I developed eczema while on it and still have that, and intestinal problems. Was it worth all this? Hell yes, my skin is so much better now than pre-Accutane. I have one active zit on my face right now, granted it is a cyst, I don't feel Accutane is the way to go given the side effects I had. I find that retinoids and regular facial peels are working pretty well since a bad breakout last month.