Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CAPS8

Really makes you think...

Hey everyone here to share a story not to get any sympathy or anything of that nature...

I had been upset over my acne in the past and it had kept me from doing numerous things before I began to learn to control it. Now I have about 95% clear skin and don't think much about acne...

However, acne is not what this is about. A family member of mine was recently diagnosed with Hodgkin's disease in her mid 20's. A very healthy, outgoing, fun person with a lot going for her. This obviously came as a shock to the entire family and after the initial sadness we all have came to terms with ourselves and decided to quit being sad and to begin the fight to get her life back. It really made me think and I kept coming back to the same thought, why do we all let such little things (such as acne) take such an emotional toll on us. It is really something to think about whenever you are upset over the little things. We should all be happy to be healthy and living everyday, you never know when your life can take a turn for the worse. So I hope that all of you will start picking your heads up and realizing its not the little things in life we need to waste our time being sad about.

Please all of you keep my family member in your thoughts and prayers as she battles such a terrible disease, a battle I know she will win.

Hey I'm really sorry to hear that :( That's terrible news. I hope she makes it okay.

Thanks for posting this too, it really is a good lesson. We need to look around and focus on the things that we have and all the wonderful abundance and good fortune in our lives. When it is our time to go, are we going to look back at our lives and be pleased that we wasted it hiding away because of a few spots? no!

I'm sorry to hear about this. Hope that she is coping well and manages to keep going with high spirits.

But yes, we do take so many things for granted, however it seems to be human nature to always want more. aka people with acne want no acne. Then people without acne want to be fitter etc

We have so much and do always just want more.

But that is sad to hear, and it does put in perspective.

even though we "only" have acne or "only" have acne scars and we could generally be healthy in everything else, there is a negative stigma placed on people who have acne, moreso people with moderate/severe acne and people with acne scars. Whether or not we want to admit it, we are judged by our appearance and acne doesnt help.

Im sorry about your family member. Its never a good thing when a good person has something bad happen to them. Unfortunately though, thinking about people who have something worse than acne isnt going to make me feel better about something that has caused me a lot of problems and will continue to do so because of the society we live in

I never once was affected by society when I had acne. It was all mental within myself and I thought about my skin way more than anybody else thought about me having acne. I am not saying you haven't had personal experiences where your acne has been an issue with the people around you, but I would stay in and not join in on some of the things my friends were doing because of my skin and I really regret some of those times looking back on them. Fortunately, I have never ran into any trouble with my acne besides the way it made me feel about the way I looked, and looking back on it I was too hard on myself. I was sharing this story to try and put it in perspective for people that may be going through what I went through when my acne was at its worst, and it was my hope that some of those people would realize they may not have it is bad as they make it seem.