Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zee16

Alpha Hydroxy Question

I've been on the regimen for about 3 1/2 years now, and although it's done wonders for my skin, I still have a few red acne marks/scars that make my face look like it still has a bit of acne. Also, recently I've been noticing constant flaking around my mouth/nose/eye areas (could be because of the season?), especially after washing my face. From what I've read, it seems like alpha hydroxy could help with both these problems. Or should I just use more moisturizer (or use it more often)? Thanks guys!

I've had the same problem, regarding flakiness, and I've been on the regimen about the same time you have. AHA+ (theoretically) helps with flakiness by increasing the rate at which your skin sheds dead skin cells. In other words, your skin "naturally" (because of AHA) sheds off faster, so there is less chance for flakes to visibly form. This is the same reason that it helps prevent acne and is a useful spot-treater (skin cells don't have as much time to get clogged and cause acne because they're rapidly being replaced by newer skin cells). That's my understanding, at least.

I used AHA for a few months when it first came out, and it seemed to work pretty well. However, I live in very sunny location now (LA), and the added sun exposure + the increased sensitivity to sun that AHA creates isn't worth it to me anymore. I have yet to find a good SPF + moisturizer that 1) removes flakes and 2) doesn't make me look white when I sweat. SPF lotion tends to get caught up in my stubble and look white and funky :(

Bottom line: AHA definitely seems to help redness go away much faster than normal. I spot-treated "leftover" acne redness with it for months (still do sometimes), and it really helps diminish redness. So I would recommend it for that--I'd just caution against using it everywhere because the increased sensitivity to sunlight can be dangerous in the long-term (without applying sunscreen daily which, to me, is a big hassle).

Edited by jamesgarney

AHA definitely seems to help redness go away much faster than normal. I spot-treated "leftover" acne redness with it for months (still do sometimes), and it really helps diminish redness. So I would recommend it for that--I'd just caution against using it everywhere because the increased sensitivity to sunlight can be dangerous in the long-term (without applying sunscreen daily which, to me, is a big hassle).

Interesting. You're referring to the post-acne red marks everyone hates? :P Did you use the Acne.org AHA or some other AHA product?