Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lucygoosey

Five days post co2 fractional laser resurfacing; gross.

As the title says, I am five days post co2 fractional laser resurfacing. I feel like I should warn people not to let my post persuade or dissuade them from having this treatment. It's only been five days, and I have yet to see my final results.

With that said, and please excuse my language, MY FACE SMELLS LIKE A DEAD FUCKING FISH. And...I've been inside for five days, wandering around my house, or laying in bed, or staring in fascination at the mirror which seems to show me a more disgusting reflection every time I look in it. You could say the recovery period is...not fun.

Let's rewind here. They told me that I should probably be recovered within 5 or 6 days, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen, and it's going to be more like double that. For the treatment itself, I took two valium, 3 ibuprofen, and had numbing cream on my face for about 30 minutes prior. One thing I'm kind of suspicious about is they never cleaned my face - I washed it before I left, but was never given the instruction to do so. Is that weird? I just got there, put the numbing cream on, and wiped it off with a wet washcloth. The nurse asked me if I wanted to use some Cetaphil to wash it off, but in my valium induced stupor (I am 120 lbs and was high as a kite) I just sort of giggled at her, wiped at it with a washcloth, and stumbled happily into the room where they did the procedure.

The procedure itself was very short as they were just treating my cheeks. I was pretty out of it, and had lost all inhibitions, so I kind of swore a few times. Certain zaps hurt more than others. Mostly I just whimpered quietly. Honestly, even though it was painful, I think the anticipation leading up to it was worse than the actual pain itself. I'd probably give the pain a 5. It felt like tons of tiny little needles poking deep into my skin. When they were done, they put some cold washcloths on me and let me sober up a little.

Flash forward to now. As stated, I noticed last night that my face smells absolutely DISGUSTING. It smells like something died on it. Which is pretty accurate, I suppose. Has anyone else experienced this dead fishy smell? Is something wrong with me? I can't even describe...it is SO NASTY! I've been keeping my face covered in petroleum jelly like they said, and spraying it with a vinegar/water solution, and it seems to be crusting over with this whiteness that sort of looks like it's spreading. I guess that's encouraging, I'm just getting really antsy and kind of annoyed that they downplayed the whole recovery time so much. 4 to 5 days my ass. My skin is still very raw and red and disgusting. (Did I say the word disgusting enough yet?)

Ok, well I feel a little better having gotten this out, but with all that said, if this treatment really does help with my acne scars (as I suspect and hope it will) it will have been worth it. So, so worth it. I can't even express how much I hate the acne scars I've had for over a year. I'll update with my progress soon. Even just writing this down helps. If anyone has been through a similar experience, please feel free to add your experiences!

i noticed the same funky smell from a small test spot but it subsided quickly. i can imagine doing the whole face...it's not for the faint hearted. get your mind off thinking about it...find a hobby? more valium but not suggesting abusing..whatever until you recover. i hope the best

Edited by bameano

As the title says, I am five days post co2 fractional laser resurfacing. I feel like I should warn people not to let my post persuade or dissuade them from having this treatment. It's only been five days, and I have yet to see my final results.

With that said, and please excuse my language, MY FACE SMELLS LIKE A DEAD FUCKING FISH. And...I've been inside for five days, wandering around my house, or laying in bed, or staring in fascination at the mirror which seems to show me a more disgusting reflection every time I look in it. You could say the recovery period is...not fun.

Let's rewind here. They told me that I should probably be recovered within 5 or 6 days, but I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen, and it's going to be more like double that. For the treatment itself, I took two valium, 3 ibuprofen, and had numbing cream on my face for about 30 minutes prior. One thing I'm kind of suspicious about is they never cleaned my face - I washed it before I left, but was never given the instruction to do so. Is that weird? I just got there, put the numbing cream on, and wiped it off with a wet washcloth. The nurse asked me if I wanted to use some Cetaphil to wash it off, but in my valium induced stupor (I am 120 lbs and was high as a kite) I just sort of giggled at her, wiped at it with a washcloth, and stumbled happily into the room where they did the procedure.

The procedure itself was very short as they were just treating my cheeks. I was pretty out of it, and had lost all inhibitions, so I kind of swore a few times. Certain zaps hurt more than others. Mostly I just whimpered quietly. Honestly, even though it was painful, I think the anticipation leading up to it was worse than the actual pain itself. I'd probably give the pain a 5. It felt like tons of tiny little needles poking deep into my skin. When they were done, they put some cold washcloths on me and let me sober up a little.

Flash forward to now. As stated, I noticed last night that my face smells absolutely DISGUSTING. It smells like something died on it. Which is pretty accurate, I suppose. Has anyone else experienced this dead fishy smell? Is something wrong with me? I can't even describe...it is SO NASTY! I've been keeping my face covered in petroleum jelly like they said, and spraying it with a vinegar/water solution, and it seems to be crusting over with this whiteness that sort of looks like it's spreading. I guess that's encouraging, I'm just getting really antsy and kind of annoyed that they downplayed the whole recovery time so much. 4 to 5 days my ass. My skin is still very raw and red and disgusting. (Did I say the word disgusting enough yet?)

Ok, well I feel a little better having gotten this out, but with all that said, if this treatment really does help with my acne scars (as I suspect and hope it will) it will have been worth it. So, so worth it. I can't even express how much I hate the acne scars I've had for over a year. I'll update with my progress soon. Even just writing this down helps. If anyone has been through a similar experience, please feel free to add your experiences!

I wish you the best! I know it's so tough to see your face like that but I'm hopeful you'll get the results you are looking for!!

I am recovering from a major chemical peel and I'm kind of terrified about how it looks right now. I'm trying to distract myself as much as possible and stay positive. Staying out of the mirror and not allowing myself to stare at my skin all day has been helpful. Just reading, watching movies and talking to friends.

Keep me updated on how you are doing! Don't forget to post again and let us know.

:D

Yep, it smells. I didn't think it was fishy, though. To me it was more like an old, wet band-aid smell.

I was not fully healed until about 7-8 days after the procedure, and then the redness lasted for two months or more (I only treated my cheeks as well). It's weird that he told you five days.

Hope you get your results!