Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AllynRose

Retin-A Micro Questions

I've been on Retin-A Micro Gel (.04%) for about 4 days now, but I've only used it twice (every other day) due to insanely sensitive skin.

What is the best way for me to get rid of the peeling skin without aggravating my sensitive skin?

I'm getting alot of small pink bumps. Is this normal? It seems too soon for an IB. Will they come to a head or go away on their own?

Thanks, any answers are much appreciated.

Try applying it every 3 days instead of 2 for a few weeks and then go to every other night. Since your skin is so sensitive it may take 2 or 3 months before you're able to apply nightly.

Use only a pea size for the ENTIRE face, not each section. I don't know if you're doing that, but it's a common mistake that irritates the heck out of the skin.

Unfortunately, the pink bumps are normal. Some may get inflamed and some may sit there for while. Don't pick at them though. If they don't come to a head they'll get absorbed on their own, it'll just take awhile.

Hope that helps. :)

Try applying it every 3 days instead of 2 for a few weeks and then go to every other night. Since your skin is so sensitive it may take 2 or 3 months before you're able to apply nightly.

Use only a pea size for the ENTIRE face, not each section. I don't know if you're doing that, but it's a common mistake that irritates the heck out of the skin.

Unfortunately, the pink bumps are normal. Some may get inflamed and some may sit there for while. Don't pick at them though. If they don't come to a head they'll get absorbed on their own, it'll just take awhile.

Hope that helps. :)

Thank you!

I'm actually not peeling much at all, just breaking out like crazy... So maybe my skin can tolerate moving up to every night. Wish I'd read this sooner, because I picked at a few and made quite the mess. :doubt:

It's possible this may be the start of it or just your skin reacting to something new. It's so early in your regimen.

I highly recommend to not ramp up to nightly applications just yet. It's way too early for that. There's a helpful sticky at the top of this forum that explains easing into retinoids.

I have been on retin a for prolly ten years. Although it wasn't a cure for my spots I will say I am 32, smoked for ages, and have zero wrinkles. It's good stuff but it does take awhile. This is how I exfoliate:

In the shower I wash with neutrogena as that is drying for me, after that I use only my fingertips to gently rub the dry patches. I never ever use any sorta scrubs or cloths or anything. Only my fingertips. This has always worked really well for me.

I will also add that retin a kept me clear for a long time until I had my son 3 years ago. :)

I have been on retin a for prolly ten years. Although it wasn't a cure for my spots I will say I am 32, smoked for ages, and have zero wrinkles. It's good stuff but it does take awhile. This is how I exfoliate:

In the shower I wash with neutrogena as that is drying for me, after that I use only my fingertips to gently rub the dry patches. I never ever use any sorta scrubs or cloths or anything. Only my fingertips. This has always worked really well for me.

I will also add that retin a kept me clear for a long time until I had my son 3 years ago. :)

I also have extremely sensative skin. I just started using Atralin Gel. .05%, 3x a week. I'm hesitante still and convientely forget to apply it since I'm afraid of breaking out or irritating my face. I use CeraVe cleanser and moisturizer. I have one question. I have always washed my face w/t a cloth. If I don't I don't feel clean. I have extremely oily face and during the day I get sebum plugs. I have large pores that I can acturally see them. When I run my finger across my face I feel them and they come off, feel like tiny sand on my face. I've tried washing my face just using my fingers, but when I come out of the shower and pat my face dry, I can see the sebum plugs and my face looks and feels dirty (especially around my nose) where it kinda crusts on the edges. So I continue to wash with a cloth. Any advice?

The retin a will help those. But I think rubbing and retin a are a bad match. The stuff ( IMO) is caustic. When I was first on it I was 21 or so and bartending at a really busy, popular bar. I kinda thought my skin would be benefited by putting retin a on after a mint julep mask + apricot scrub treatment. It literally ate a hole in my chin. First it just got dry, then it cracked and then it oozed/bled for ages.

Now, years later I can put it on after peels, even, I'm so used to it. Retin a has a kind of creeper effect on me, I'll apply it, comment to myself it doesn't work and two days later, it seems my face is peeling off.

I'd just be really gentle and give the retin a time to do what it does. It essentially makes your skin slough off more quickly. I'd worry about a cloth on top of that, at first.