Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hello,

A bit of background and a few questions that I would be really grateful for any answers to. Sorry for the long post. I wanted to warn people off Dermalogica as well.

1) Jojojba oil. I have bad experience of putting oil anywhere near my face (see below), is this really, honestly, a product that doesn't cause spots?

2) My skin gets extremely dehydrated using BP, but I can't figure out how you're supposed to put moisteriser over BP. When I try, the BP starts coming off like PVA glue. How do you get around this?

3) Same with makeup - I only ever ewear concealer on spots, as opposed to afull face of makeup, but still, the BP peels, smudges and generally comes off like glue. How do you get around this? Not wearing concealer is not an option.

4) I like the sound of AHA, is it available in shops in the UK?

I'm 27 and have had acne ever since I was a young teenager. I really am too old to be dealing with this crap now, and it is interfering with what I would like to do with my life. I have actively started avoiding friends, and even more so I guy I have been mildly in love with for years (unrequited, alas)

I've been usign BP for a few years now, but never followed the Regime 100% - I just used BP every night, and on spots in the mornings. I noticed a small but distinct improvement when I started taking zinc, cod liver oil and B complex tablets on a daily basis.

Over Christmas I got fed up of having skin that looked like crepe paper, and went to a very expensive skin place in the UK (Dermalogica), got my skin mapped, and spent a fortune on their skin range (£140). This included a "pre cleanse" oil, which was literally oil you rubbed over your face, cleansed off with their clay face wash, and then wash your face with the cleanser again, a toner, an exfoliant cream, an anti sebum masque, and a salycilic acid night gel. At first it was fine, but within a few days I note=iced my skin was WAY greasier than normal and I was starting to break out like mad. I promptly stopped using the pre cleanse oil, and stuck to the face wash and salycilic acid. My skin kept getting worse, so I started using the BP again (I had stopped using) on top of the night gel. Things kept getting worse.

I then stopped using any of the dermalogica products and instead use Clearsil ULTRA face wash followed by bp 2.5% on problem areas only. However, I was still getting more spots than usual, that were either just lumps, or active spots. Very depressing.

Despite being a sensible person I know I do a lot of things that probably don't help. When I get home from work I am so so upset over my skin that I can spend literally hours almost in a hypnotic state poking and picking and squeezing at it. Even sometimes at work I will poke at it in the bathrooms (germy hands! what was I thinking all this time!). Due to stress and work hours as above, I rarely get more than 5.5 - 6 hours sleep a night, which I have heard is also very bad for your skin

I have a poor diet due to extremely long working hours, and have recently been under extreme stress (both due to work and my skin problems...) and I've decided that I need to do soemthing differently. I am going to start following the regime to the letter and see if I notice any improvement over the next couple of weeks. I have some concerns though, that I asked at the top of this post. I'd be grateful for any answers people can give me.

Any other advice would be really really appreciated. I feel totally miserable at the moment.

Try not poking and picking your skin. Its a very bad habit that you need to break in order to get clear. Also remember that this regimen takes at least 3 months to start working its magic. You wont be clear in a few weeks so stay persistent and it will come!

When you apply bp makes sure your waiting 15 minutes at the very minimum before you put on moisturizer, if not 20 - 30 mins. This lets the bp absorb into your skin so it doesnt clump up in balls.

I am sorry to hear you got so ripped off by Dermatologica, I was in the same boat as you last summer. I spent hundreds of dollars at Sephora on every gimmick and scrub and LED-light and all I did was make my skin worse. I constantly changed my routine and used harsher and harsher products. I think that was the problem. I now just use plain old Purpose or Cetaphil cleaners, BP and Olay moisturizer during the day, and AHA at night. My skin is the best it has ever been! Try doing something consistent. Understand that if your skin is not good now, it will get worse when you hange your routine but after a few weeks of looking unpresentable and red you will really be glad you tried this routine, plus think of all the money you will save in overpriced gimmicky products!

As far as jojoba, I was nervous about oil on my skin too but now I cant imagine having lived without it! A few drops on a cotton ball and I sort of buff my face in circular motions very lightly at the end of the day and it takes off all the dead skin and grime that build up during the day. Do that before you wash and your skin will be moisturized and clean and ready to absorb all the BP. Wait after the BP to apply moisturizer, and remember to stay dilligent!

Hi Cyberman84,

I'm a 27 year old woman with bad acne, at least I had it badly 8 weeks ago before I started Dan Kern's regimen. I had used proactiv for years with great success and for some reason I thought I had outgrown acne and stopped using it. I was clear for almost a year and then it got worse and worse. Also, I thought I would be used to the BP so I started with the full amount instead of a pea size like Dan recommends and I was wrong! My skin was not prepared for that much, so that's something for you to keep in mind.

1) Jojojba oil. I have bad experience of putting oil anywhere near my face (see below), is this really, honestly, a product that doesn't cause spots?

Per many positive reviews, I reluctantly tried the jojoba oil both as exfoliant and added to my moisturizer, and it broke me out... But it stopped when I stopped using it.

2) My skin gets extremely dehydrated using BP, but I can't figure out how you're supposed to put moisteriser over BP. When I try, the BP starts coming off like PVA glue. How do you get around this?

I tried doing the regimen with a BP I had and it balled up with the moisturizer too but Dan's BP hasn't balled up with either of the moisturizers or AHA that I've tried.

3) Same with makeup - I only ever wear concealer on spots, as opposed to a full face of makeup, but still, the BP peels, smudges and generally comes off like glue. How do you get around this? Not wearing concealer is not an option.

I decided to stop wearing makeup until I was completely clear to eliminate another variable that could possibly have been breaking me out...

Because of stress, anxiety, and itching from Cetaphil Lotion and my itchy dry skin, I have barely slept more than 4 hours in the last two months... And even then, the regimen has been able to clear me at least 95%. Over the last few days I'm only dealing with 1-3 small whiteheads at anytime on each cheek and that have generally only lasted a day. A "trick" I've been using when the whiteheads are big enough, I GENTLY use tweezers to prick off the skin on top of it and dab it with BP. When the white stuff comes in contact with oxygen, it naturally hardens and later comes off without a problem and I don't need to squeeze, use force or my fingers to get it out.

I was looking for a moisturizer and I decided to use Olay Night Cream as per this thread's suggestion.

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/Oil-Olay-...st-t221085.html

I think my skin looks healthier now than when I was using Cetaphil, I only need a little bit and it takes care of the flakes. I also use a tweezer in the morning or evening before or after washing face to get rid of flakes, but only if they are somewhat loose. Otherwise I fear my skin might get irritated. I also no longer turn on the heater when I am home because supposedly indoor heat dries out your skin and I've noticed my skin doesn't feel as tight anymore.

I cut out sugar as much as possible, along with dairy and white flour. My diet was horrible before too. Take 2 fish oil pills, zinc, a multivitamin and try to drink more water.

Good luck and keep us posted!