Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi.

Warning for the boys: a little too much TMI in here because my problems are related to my hormones.

Okay guys. You've been warned.

I'm joining because I'd like to hear what worked for other women in situations like mine. I had almost no acne until I was in my early 20s, when I started to eat meat. Then I started to get lots of zits and cysts occasionally. I got some kind of dauber, I think anti-bacterial but that left no mark on my skin, that worked, but it ran out and the zits came back immediately though I was eating a healthy diet, no coffee, very little chocolate, almost nothing processed, lots of fresh air, etc.

It miraculously cleared up, however, when I got pregnant and stayed away until I was fertile again (13 mo. post-partum). Then it came back and didn't disappear until my second pregnancy, and again stayed away until I got my period back (again, 13 mo. post-partum).

It's been eight months and I'm SICK of this. I've done two months of pure pescatarianism and I'm trying to do it still because I figure it can't hurt but frankly, the effect is negligible. I've been using the Clinique treatment to zero effect (in fact I think it's getting worse though I've been under stress so it's hard to tell). I'm certain this is related to hormones and since I have easy pregnancies and births and breastfeeding I can only guess that my body just really loves being pregnant and wants to be so until menopause.

Needless to say I'm no Ma Duggar. Two kids is enough for us. :) I'm thinking about hormonal birth control but I want to know what will most mimic the effects of pregnancy for me. I love being five months pregnant. I will cross-post this if I get no answers but if you have ANY experience with the pregnancy glow and acne I'd love to hear it. What hormones did you use? IUD or pills? Thanks a ton.

Hi Malalai. Welcome to the boards! I've moved this thread to the Hormonal Treatments board. You'll get more feedback on this topic there, and it's a great place to look for information in past threads, too.

Also, please refrain from cross-posting on the boards. It creates clutter and makes threads hard to follow. If you find that your thread isn't getting any replies, go ahead and bump it back to the front page by just posting a new reply in it (even something as simple as "Bump." will suffice!). ; )

Hi!

Thanks for moving this.

What is Yaz? What about the Mirena? I am so bad with the pill though I'll do it. I would love to just stick something in there and have done with it for a few years.

Hi!

Thanks for moving this.

What is Yaz? What about the Mirena? I am so bad with the pill though I'll do it. I would love to just stick something in there and have done with it for a few years.

I have never been pregnant so I can't speak to similarities with that and BC. But, I have had a Minera IUD for 8 years and it has done nothing to help my skin. That could just be me, but it has had no effect. I started Spiro last week.

I wish you luck in finding what works for you. I hope Spiro will work for me.

Hi!

Thanks for moving this.

Yaz is a relatively new bc which contains drospirenone (3 mg) and ethinyl estradiol (20 mcg).

drospirenone is a progestin analog to spironolactone. It's a lighter version of Yasmin, which contains 30 mcg estradiol. I'm a lightweight myself so I prefer lighter pills. Also you only have a 4 day stopweek, causing less hormonal swings and shorter periods. The nice thing about this pill is that is should be beneficial for acne, while not causing weight gain. (Dianette gave me horrible cellulite because it stimulates water retention). Dianette contains Cyproterone whichs blocks all testosterone so to speak, while drospirenone only blocks certain receptors, so preventing testosterone from affecting your skin and certain other aspects (less hairgrowth and less greasy hair). So drosperinone only "attacks" certain androgen receptors and the testosterone will still be active in other areas, in particular causing less water retention.

At least this is how I understood it from all the wiki pages and other sources when researching which pill I should take. ;)

Everyone stills responds different to various bcp, so make sure to talk with your doctor. Also bcp may take around 6 months for your body to get used to them, in meantime side effects can accur or you might not be happy with it. You should always give it 6 months before giving up.

Mirena contains the progestin Levonorgestrel. I don't think it had any positive effects on acne. It has also not been FDA approved for the treatment of acne (contrary to yaz), so no positieve effects should be expected here.

http://www.drugs.com/newdrugs/fda-approves...z-acne-336.html

I am 32 years old and I have had acne for 17 years...the only time I was clear was during my pregnancy as well....without doing anything...it came back after my daughter was weaned from the breast though :( I have thought about birthcontrol as my acne is obviously hormonal...but I took Diane 35 for 5 months and it broke me out horribly (I even started growing black hairs on my arm!) So I stopped. I'm wondering if a different pill...maybe Yasmin...will work better or if they are all the same...

I am 32 years old and I have had acne for 17 years...the only time I was clear was during my pregnancy as well....without doing anything...it came back after my daughter was weaned from the breast though :( I have thought about birthcontrol as my acne is obviously hormonal...but I took Diane 35 for 5 months and it broke me out horribly (I even started growing black hairs on my arm!) So I stopped. I'm wondering if a different pill...maybe Yasmin...will work better or if they are all the same...

Birth control pills are all quite different - they can have different levels of synthetic estrogen (though they all use the same kind), and most use different types of progestin. The progestin used will have various effects, depending on your body and the typical chemical "behavior" of the progestin in question (20something20's post mentioned some differing effects of a couple different types of progestin).

There are other differences as well, including whether the hormone levels in the pills change every week or not.

That being said, it's often a matter of trial and error to find the right birth control, since people's bodies can react differently. I went through a few before I found one that really agreed with me. And now I'm clear (with the help of spiro). It's a good idea to discuss with your doctor what you're trying to get out of your BCP so that you can work together to find the right BCP for your body.

Thanks for the response....

I was under the impression that Diane 35 was the best pill for acne...so I assumed since it didn't work and made my acne worse, that no other pill would work either.

Has anyone else been through the same experience with Diane and then tried another bcp and had it work?

Thanks again.

Birth control pills are all quite different - they can have different levels of synthetic estrogen (though they all use the same kind), and most use different types of progestin. The progestin used will have various effects, depending on your body and the typical chemical "behavior" of the progestin in question (20something20's post mentioned some differing effects of a couple different types of progestin).

There are other differences as well, including whether the hormone levels in the pills change every week or not.

That being said, it's often a matter of trial and error to find the right birth control, since people's bodies can react differently. I went through a few before I found one that really agreed with me. And now I'm clear (with the help of spiro). It's a good idea to discuss with your doctor what you're trying to get out of your BCP so that you can work together to find the right BCP for your body.