Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Warrior of Acne

If you have high cholesterol on Accutane, read this

I finished my Accutane course a few days ago. Around 2 months ago, I had a blood test and my cholesterol was at 199. Not horrendous or anything, but a little too high. One month ago I decided to start taking KRILL oil (I previously took fish oil) and my last blood test (a few days ago) my cholesterol was 154... I am still in a little bit of shock that it worked so well.

My doctor was even speechless! I have not changed anything in my diet or exercise routine. I was actually exercising LESS than before because Accutane was making me tired! I just thought I'd share in case anybody is having trouble with their cholesterol while on the drug.

The fish oil I took before was Kirkland brand (Costco) but it was not the basic one. It had 1000 mg of fish oil with ~668 omega 3's (good amounts of EPA/DHA) so I was even more shocked because I was taking a high-quality supplement!

By the way, if you decide to bite the bullet, make sure it is Neptune Krill Oil (NKO). Supposedly it is much more effective than others that are not certified. I used NOW brand but I am sure there are many others that are efficacious. Unfortunately, the selection is not as abundant as with fish oil.

Hope this helps somebody out!

*** This is a helpful article in case you want to read more...

http://altmedicine.about.com/od/herbsupple.../a/krilloil.htm

Edited by Warrior of Acne

Interesting. I'm starting my third month. Before starting isotretinoin my cholesterol was at 36 and now it's 48. Apparently this is still unusually low. I'm doing some research and it looks like there is such a thing as having too low cholesterol levels (linked to anxiety, depression).

Anyways, I guess this doesn't really add to your thread does it? If my cholesterol skyrockets though I'll keep krill oil in mind :)

Are you sure you're not talking about your HDL cholesterol because if that is accumulative I don't even think that is possible...

That seems like a low HDL cholesterol level or it might even be LDL. There are two types: LDL (low density lipoprotein) and HDL (high density lipoprotein). LDL is bad (think L for lousy) and HDL is good (think H for happy).

OR, after all this you could be talking about triglycerides?

I honestly have no idea. For triglycerides/cholesterol, I have never even heard of it that low.

Are you sure you're not talking about your HDL cholesterol because if that is accumulative I don't even think that is possible...

That seems like a low HDL cholesterol level or it might even be LDL. There are two types: LDL (low density lipoprotein) and HDL (high density lipoprotein). LDL is bad (think L for lousy) and HDL is good (think H for happy).

OR, after all this you could be talking about triglycerides?

I honestly have no idea. For triglycerides/cholesterol, I have never even heard of it that low.

Hmm. The latest lab results I got back didn't say anything about HDL/LDL levels. It just said this (copy and pasted):

Test Name Result

------------------------- ---------------

CHOLESTEROL, TRIGLYCERIDES 48mg/dL

Edited by Rattina89

So I just read up a little bit on extraordinarily low cholesterol levels and what do you know, I learned something! I guess there are other people like you. Some figures I saw were the 30s to the 90s. Wow! If only I could get my cholesterol that low. My triglycerides are 70. I have absolutely no way to analyze that but my derm told me that is good along with my glucose reading.

So I just read up a little bit on extraordinarily low cholesterol levels and what do you know, I learned something! I guess there are other people like you. Some figures I saw were the 30s to the 90s. Wow! If only I could get my cholesterol that low. My triglycerides are 70. I have absolutely no way to analyze that but my derm told me that is good along with my glucose reading.

I'm a little confused. So triglycerides are not the same as cholesterol? If not, why does my test say "cholesterol, triglycerides"?

Nope, they are two different numbers and I have no idea. You could probably call your dermatologist and ask.

Here if you want to learn more about triglycerides: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4778

And cholesterol: http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4488

Thanks man. And sorry I hijacked your topic lol :shifty:

Edited by Rattina89