Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jsmithson

P. acnes makes skin more oily?

Hi folks!

Came across this relatively recent article at Science called "Propionibacterium acnes Activates the IGF-1/IGF-1R System in the Epidermis and Induces Keratinocyte Proliferation". It's a free article so please go and check it out!

The article says that P. acnes directly increases the production of IGF-1 in human skin thereby causing an increase in the growth of skin cells. IGF-1 has previously been positively correlated with seborrhea (very oily skin).

If you're reading this you probably have seborrhea (very oily skin) and acne. My oil problem started when I was about 15. For me, very oily hair was the first thing I noticed (I had to wash my hair really often to make it feel clean). Thinking back, I had oily hair for a year or two and then started to get acne. So perhaps in my case the seborrhea started before the acne. But I wonder if P. acnes causes an increase in sebum production - over and above what my skin naturally produces?

The article also mentions that zinc gluconate can be used to control the increase in IGF-1. I don't have access to topical zinc gluconate, but plain zinc cream is very common in Australia (where I live) because we like to protect our skin from the sun. I'll give it a try!

Hi folks!

Came across this relatively recent article at Science called "Propionibacterium acnes Activates the IGF-1/IGF-1R System in the Epidermis and Induces Keratinocyte Proliferation". It's a free article so please go and check it out!

The article says that P. acnes directly increases the production of IGF-1 in human skin thereby causing an increase in the growth of skin cells. IGF-1 has previously been positively correlated with seborrhea (very oily skin).

If you're reading this you probably have seborrhea (very oily skin) and acne. My oil problem started when I was about 15. For me, very oily hair was the first thing I noticed (I had to wash my hair really often to make it feel clean). Thinking back, I had oily hair for a year or two and then started to get acne. So perhaps in my case the seborrhea started before the acne. But I wonder if P. acnes causes an increase in sebum production - over and above what my skin naturally produces?

The article also mentions that zinc gluconate can be used to control the increase in IGF-1. I don't have access to topical zinc gluconate, but plain zinc cream is very common in Australia (where I live) because we like to protect our skin from the sun. I'll give it a try!

Thats interesting.

I always wondered how for some people just taking antibiotics internally or external antibacterials can clear up acne. Because it just deals with one aspect of acne, that being pathogens(bacteria).

I always wondered why some dont continue to get blocked pores. This study seem to indicate why. No P.Acnes, no/or reduced excessive Keratinocyte Proliferation. Because that really is the root problem. If skin cells shed properly then oily skin and p.acnes wont cause clogs or pinmples.

I always noted the clearest skin when using Comedolytics and Topical antibacterials together. It did nothing for the excessively oily skin though.

I've taken Zinc Gluconate supplements to no real benefit :(

I actually couldn't quite tell their method of distributing zinc when I first read it, I think they might have added it to cultures, although I don't really remember.

So, for us, taking supplements might not be enough. It might have to applied topically.

Anyone want to try applying zinc masks (crushed zinc gluconate tablets) and seeing how that works out? I've heard of it being done before, although I'm not too sure of the results. I've also seen some oil control products advertise that they contain zinc, one was actually recently suggested to me, although I can't seem to find it in my browsing history unfortunately.

Edited by 6N4M