Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Someclearday

Confused about Omegas

I'm going to whole foods to buy some vitamins and possibly some flax seed oil but I'm confused about 3 6 and 9. I was reading online about the confusing ratios and about how 9 might actually be worse for your skin. So I guess what I want to know is

-What does everyone take

-Has it been beneficial

-Do any help/ hurt

-Is fish or flax better

Thanks!

I can't tell you anything about the ratios or why too much omega 9's are bad...but I can say people always say to get fish oil instead of flax on these boards. =P

Dont know anything about 9's.

With 3:6 I just know you just have to try to keep the 6's as low as possible. I remember reading about 1:2 to 1:4 ratio (omega3:omega6), but not really sure about it.

Goodluck Kales! I used to take an omega 3-6-9 supplement, for about 2 or 3 months I believe. My acne never really improved, but areas where my skin didn't have acne looked healthy, it was rather strange. I've heard anywhere from 1:3 and 1:1 with Omega 3 to 6. Just cutting out fast foods and such will help a bunch with reducing your omega 6 intake. The EPA is what's supposed to help out with the skin, and GLA in certain omega 6 supplements like borage oil primrose are supposed to work in a similar way. They inhibit the conversion of arachidonic acid to leukotriene, which is an inflammatory chemical in our bodies that can increase sebum production. Many people also report that their sebum quality improves over time. Hope you see results quickly!

Oh, and to clarify, now I take Carlson's elite fish oil. They get it from really elite fish :P No but seriously, it has 400mg EPA and 300mg of DHA, the brand tested well according to Consumerlab, and is also recommended by livestrong.

Edited by tim12

Goodluck Kales! I use to take an omega 3-6-9 supplement, for about 2 or 3 months I believe. My acne never really improved, but areas where my skin didn't have acne looked healthy, it was rather strange. I've heard anywhere from 1 to 3 and 1:1 with Omega 3 to 6. Just cutting out fast foods and such will help a bunch. The EPA is what's supposed to help out with the skin, and GLA in certain omega 6 supplements like borage oil primrose are supposed to work in a similar way. They inhibit the conversion of arachidonic acid to leukotriene, which is an inflammatory chemical in our bodies that can increase sebum production. Many people also report that their sebum quality improves over time. Hope you see results quickly!

Oh, you are awesome!

Im no expert but from what Ive read I think that the average person's diet usually have alot of omega 6 and omega 9 fats, whilst usually lacking in omega 3 fats.....I think all 3 types of fats are essentail but omega 3 fats can help reduce inflammation amongst other things.

And the main sources of omega 3 fats are oily fish (like mackerel or tuna as opposed to most white fish ie.cod), or things like flax seeds....

But Ive also read that the omega 3 fats in flax seeds are not as effecient as the ones found in fish, so if you are going to eat something its best to eat fish.

Lastly I tried going on fish oil tablets for a while and Im pretty sure they broke me out, it turns out that alot of people experience the same thing as me.....on the other hand I can eat oily fish and my skin doesnt seem affected by it.

Omega 3 Fish Oil improved the texture of my skin, but didn't really do anything for my breakouts.

But even if you have perfect skin you should be taking Omega 3 Oils from Fish or Krill.

get the omega 3...not the others... omega 3 is for good prostglandins forget about the other ones... im taking it and its going along great