Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

http://wellandgoodnyc.com/2010/07/20/cetap...kin-any-favors/

I used Cetaphil for a long time and then stopped when I switched to more natural products. I recently bought Cetaphil again about a month ago when I got my Clarisonic because it was gentle enough to be used with the Clarisonic. I knew the ingredients sucked, but I'm definitely finding a new cleanser.

There is a lot of debate whether certain things are toxic or not.

The most I can recommend people do is listen to both sides of the story and make their own personal decision. There have not been conclusive studies stating that parabens are indeed bad for you, but I can respect someone's decision to avoid them as long as they don't turn into crazed hypochondriacs with every little thing.:lol:

Also, I buy cleansers just for their cleaning purposes. I don't personally think ANY cleanser will wash away my blackheads in a purifying wave like you see on misinformation commercials like Neutrogena.

Edited by OmegaisJaded

Aside from the cleanser and it possibly containing toxens, I don't think people that are acne prone should be using their moisturizers either.

They say its non-comedogenic, but however, it contains Cetearyl Alcohol + Ceteareth 20, which is like a 4 on a scale up to 5, at least the normal moistruizer contains it.

I also remember using the moisturizer for dry sensitive skin, and it contained Soybean Oil I think, another comedogenic ingredient in a product that "claims" to be "non-comedogenic" AND "dermatologist recommended" even my own derm recommended it!

I don't understand what all the hype about Cetaphil products is, time and time again they have failed to work for people, especially ones that are acne prone, so I don't understand the media hype about them being great for your skin :doh:

Edited by obliviousxsmile

I also don't think that people should be afraid of ingredients that could possibly "clog" your pores. What's worse using ingredients that are toxic and irritating or natural oils?

I've been using philosophy high foaming cleanser for a week now and my skin has never looked better. The cleanser contains tons of oils and I'm sure ingredients that are pore clogging. I haven't even looked them up because I honestly don't care. Cetephil and Cerave totally messed up my skins natural barrier. But then again, everybody reacts differently.

;)

Cetaphil cleanser broke me out, but i adore their moisturizer.

Honestly, i could care less if it causes cancer, is toxic, or might be -comedogenic- to some people, its cheap as hell, gets the job done, and i like it, thats all i need to know.

everything has its risks, i think i'll take my chances with a few shady ingredients.

IDK, to be honest, I noticed since I started using it again my skin doesn't look as clean as it did before. And I'd rather not take the risk, so I'm going back to my Origins stuff.

Guest Timehealsall

it sucks because if your going to be on a regimen, you basically have to use a cleanser. Like acne.org regimen, can you even do the regimen without a cleanser?

it sucks because if your going to be on a regimen, you basically have to use a cleanser. Like acne.org regimen, can you even do the regimen without a cleanser?

You can have a regimen with a cleanser, but it doesn't have to be Cetaphil. Or the regimen one. I cleared my skin by using products not meant for acne. Too many chemicals in them and they are harsh on your skin.

what moisturizer would u guys recommend? i just started using an aveeno cleanser, but still use the cetafil moisturizer and want to change it. what do u guys suggest?

Valerie I really like the AHA 10% Enhanced Lotion by the company Alpha Hydrox. It is made especially for dry skin. I'm using it to help fade some hyperpigmentation from old acne but have found it to be really hydrating for my skin which is strange considering how glycolic acid tends to dry you out a little. I wouldn't use too much if you decide to buy it. You can read reviews about the product. It is powerful and can sting but it really gets the job done.

Honestly, i could care less if it causes cancer, is toxic, or might be -comedogenic- to some people, its cheap as hell, gets the job done, and i like it, thats all i need to know.

everything has its risks, i think i'll take my chances with a few shady ingredients.

I really do agree with this. Seems like everything nowadays has potential to cause cancer. From the air we breathe,to our tap water. I just stay away from the obvious,proven cancer causes and try not to freak out over little things. lol

I also have to point out that sulfates are drying like the article said,but the amounts in this cleanser are what still classify it as gentle. Some people still get dried out from this product or can't use it for other reasons,though.

Edited by OmegaisJaded

I really do agree with this. Seems like everything nowadays has potential to cause cancer. From the we breathe,to our tap water. I just stay away from the obvious,proven cancer causes and try not to freak out over little things. lol

I also have to point out that sulfates are drying like the article said,but the amounts in this cleanser are what still classify it as gentle. Some people still get dried out from this product or can't use it for other reasons,though.

Speaking of everything causing cancer, My mother won't let us add salt to anything anymore because she read somewhere that it causes cancer, probably yahoo answers or something, but she still wont listen to us.

I of course still eat craptons of salt, and i know its bad for me, but god, it tastes delicious on everything.

I of course still eat craptons of salt, and i know its bad for me, but god, it tastes delicious on everything.

true that!!! :)

I've been using Cetaphil, and my parents use it too. I don't like the moisturizers, but I like the cleansers well enough. I wasn't aware until now that it can cause cancer, so now I'm kiiiinda freaking out :/

I used Cetaphil cleanser for about 6-8 months and it didn't do anything to my skin besides make it worse. It appeared that it was helping when I first purchased the cleanser but in the long run it just made my skin worse. I also find the moisturizer too heavy and greasy.

Cetaphil doesn't do sh*t for me. It's goop in a bottle. I've tried it more than once. The cleanser and moisturizer make my skin feel greasy and unkempt- they don't help acne prone skin/pores at all! And I am not one of those people who *needs* a foaming cleanser to feel clean, I just don't think Cetaphil does much of anything.

Rant over :D

Sorry but that article is just a load of misinformation. I will explain to you why each of the ingredients is actually good.

- Parabens are *not* carcinogenic; there was one study a long time ago that tried to link them to breast cancer, but various counterstudies have proven it wrong. Parabens are a preservative (used in many skincare products) that keeps the product bacteria-free and safe to use on your face.

- Cetyl alcohol is a WAX?! Oh no, anything but a wax! Waxes are not necessarily bad for your skin--another popular wax used as a moisturizer is jojoba oil. "Wax" simply describes the chemical structure/thickness of the compound. Cetyl alcohol is an emollient that moisturizes your skin. There is nothing "toxic" or "irritating" about it.

- Propylene glycol is safe and non-irritating in low concentrations. It's an emulsifier that helps moisturize the skin by attracting water.

- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate isn't a great ingredient, but you'll find it in any cleanser that foams. It emulsifies dirt and oil but can be irritating.

That's because there's nothing in Cetaphil that nurtures skin. No antioxidants that help fight free radical damage; not a dribble of omega-rich plant seed oils that fortify the skin barrier; and not a drop of skin-calming botanicals.
Edited by epicdermis

Someone please find me a RSS feed that updates every 5 minutes on a chemical that is potentially harmful, then another RSS filled with debating over it. It'd be massive.

Doesn't anyone else get tired of this? Being an informed consumer can only go so far until youre just chasing your tail, and eventually your tail turns into an invisible pink unicorn, but you still go round and round chasing it.

I've quit using it, the gentle stuff is about as non drying as cleansers get but its still drying compared to say just cold water.