Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aobaru

Weird stuff coming out of my pores...

Okay, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed something weird. On my cheeks, in a lot of my pores, were 1mm long "strings" popping out of the pores. There's no inflammation. Just the "strings". I'm trying to describe the best I can. I've never had these before, and they don't go away with exfoliation. Does anybody know what I'm talking about?

Are they soft like silly string? I do believe those are called sebaceous filaments. Blackheads have harden with the dead skin and became more compact,creating rice like filaments. Sebaceous filaments do not have the same same amount of dead skin in them for it to be as hard and compact.

That's my understanding of it,anyhow. I've only just learned of them myself.

I've read about sebaceous filaments as well, but I've only ever had them in my nose. These showed up quite suddenly, so it makes me think they're something else. I don't know how else to describe it. "String" sticking out of my pores sums it up. It comes out if you scratch it out, but it won't come out with my regular exfoliation.

Oh,please don't scratch your skin like that....

You treat them the same way as regular blackheads I'd assume. Exfoliation and increasing cell turnover. :shrug:

If you want a product recommendation I have seen amazing results MyChelle clear skin sreum.My blackheads were pushing themselves out after a week. Their Pumpkin Enzyme mask is also nice for weekly extra maintenance.

Are you on any topical retinoids? Those are pretty fantastic, though I only really saw results with Differin because the rest were so irritating.

I also like to hop into a skincare clinic here and there and get facials. Just be sure to get a high quality one.Your skin shouldn't bleed after it. :doh:

Oh, don't worry. I have enough red marks already, so I don't ever pick/scratch.

It's weird: exfoliation doesn't get rid of them. I use AHA and it does nothing for them either. It's just so weird.

No, I'm not, but I'll probably be seeing a dermatologist, and that's what I plan to ask for. Retin-A or Differin. They also help with marks, I hear.

Are they soft like silly string? I do believe those are called sebaceous filaments. Blackheads have harden with the dead skin and became more compact,creating rice like filaments. Sebaceous filaments do not have the same same amount of dead skin in them for it to be as hard and compact.

That's my understanding of it,anyhow. I've only just learned of them myself.

Agreed... I use to get these on my cheeks and chin. I have no clue what specifically cleared that problem up (must have been the accutane). If that was the case, then maybe the focus should be on sebum production?

It's weird: exfoliation doesn't get rid of them. I use AHA and it does nothing for them either. It's just so weird.

How long have you constantly been using the AHA, and what is your current regimen?

i have these all over my chin and right now they are at there worst. i dont know what brings them on. Ive often thought its when i use too emollient cleansers for too many days in a row..Ive also thought it was skin dehydration. I have so many strings sticking out and some stuck in the pore that i dont know how to get rid of...im going in tomorrow for a facial so we will see...im on sprionolactone and this has done nothing to improve these..just my two cents on that

How long have you constantly been using the AHA, and what is your current regimen?

I've been using AHA since last fall, and it does wonders for my acne and red marks, but nothing for these filaments. My current regimen:

Day

Wash with AcneFree Cleanser (I really like this cleanser)

Apply 10% AlphaHydrox AHA

Apply Aveeno Sunscreen, if necessary

Night

Wash with AcneFree Cleanser

Apply Concha Nacar de Perlop Bleach Mask (for red marks), wash off after one hour

Apply 10% AHA

Guest Timehealsall

have u ever used jojoba oil?

Yes Ive used jojoba, seabuckthorn oil, grapeseed oil and none agree with me..I continually try them and they always add to my clogs and give me welts..thanks though

you might want to try putting some head and shoulders shampoo on it. I know this sounds weird, but it helps fight a certain kind of fungus and a lot of other skin conditions. Google it, or check the other boards, like this:

Anyway, I recently tried using some on these clogged pores on my chin that sound a lot like what you're describing. A teeny tiny skinny piece of the sebum plug was sticking out but not enough for me to pull it out. Nothing else was working so I applied a VERY thin layer of head and shoulders on the area and went to bed. The next morning they were gone!

Maybe it was a fluke but it's worth a try if nothing is working for you. Head and Shoulders won't cause you to break out--worse thing it will do to you is dry your skin.

If you try it, let us know if it worked.

Good luck!

I occasionally use dermadoctor's born to be mild face and body cleanser..Its suppose to be gentlier than head and shoulders...It does help but i dont do it every day...Ive thought it was a fungus but every time i take my nystatin i get hive like welts...I took it yesterday and funny but clogged pores look better...hmmm

I think my problem was overuse of AHA. I was applying twice daily all over my face. At the beginning, it was alright because my skin was thicker, but as we all know AHA thins your skin. It was just irritating me, and I think that's what caused the filaments. Now, I only use it at night.

Also, I moisturize with Aveeno Continuous Protection SPF 30 sunscreen. It evens out my skin tone and protects me from the sun :D

tl;dr The filaments are gone! Moisturizing pretty much got rid of them.

I have the same thing on my chin. I could probably scrub my chin like there's no tomorrow and they'd still be there. SOMETIMES glycolic peels seem to help for a while, but they always, always come back. Icky.

Ever since I started using a microbead cleanser with a very low amount of AHA in it (Neutrogena Acne Stress Scrub) they seem to be under control a little bit more.

<_< Still there, though.

Well, like I said before, moisturizing is key. I use my sunscreen as my moisturizer and AHA at night.