Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Could this be folliculitis?

Not sure if this is the right area or not.

I am 22 years old and used to have mild acne from 18-20 and took acutuane and that seemed to do the trick. It came back and then I went on an antibiotic and that cleared it up again.

Recently, I have been noticing a different type of acne, if you can call it that. I was clear most of the summer with the occasional breakout here and there, very tolerable. But once winter hit and the air became dryer, I noticed that after I would shave I would get ingrown hairs. I have very fine facial hair if that makes a difference. I use a brand new razor every time I shave but it seemed to just get worse no matter.

If I don't shave for about 2 weeks, my skin clears up, but I can still see little raised bumps at the base of some facial hairs. They aren't red, the skin is just raised. If I pull the hair out, puss will come out as well. When I shave, those mentioned areas then become red and irritated and every time, there is a hair buried in there. Sometimes they turn into the larger cyst type with a small white dot in the center, and others are just smaller irritated bumps. I even have smaller finer hairs that aren't stuck under the skin that have a white head base to them.

I think there's more going on than just ingrown hairs, possibly an infection of sorts. Any advice on getting rid of this?

Edited by 2812