Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
obliviousxsmile

How do you guys emotionally cheer yourself up with your acne

I know this may sound really shallow, but is there really any way to make yourself feel better, emotionally at least when you're dealing with acne?

What are some things that you guys do that help? Do you exercise? Meditate? I was told exercising releases serotonin, which is like a feel good hormone.

My story:

I honestly never really had to deal with acne, besides like maybe a pimple or two every month or so, no big deal, it never really phased me that much. But recently, that past 5 months or so to be exact, my skin has taken a complete 180 and I don't know what's wrong with it!

And my acne is so weird, I only breakout on my forehead, I rarely EVER breakout anywhere else. It started off with a few spots in the middle of my forehead, now it slowly seems to be spreading throughout my forehead and even between my eyes (worst place ever to break out) I'm afraid its gonna spread to my whole face.

The fact that I never really had to deal with acne when I was in middle school or high school even makes it harder for me to deal with it right now in a way, I'm a sophomore in college. It's gotten so bad emotionally that I've completely shut myself out from everyone, or I at least try my best to. I'm not even taking a full semester worth of classes right now because I don't want people to see me and be like "what the hell happened to her?".

I'm just hoping you guys will help me get better, at least emotionally, so I can stop shutting myself out of the world and lying to my friends and family, making every excuse possible not to do anything or go anywhere. Any tips would be helpful, especially since my parents, Mom especially, doesn't seem to understand what I'm going through. She thinks I'm attacking her whenever I mention my discomfort over my acne.

Edited by obliviousxsmile

This is a bit stupid, I guess, but whenever I get a particularly huge pimple due to stress, I name it after the thing that stresses me out. I've had zits I've named after my sister, my chemistry teacher... pretty much everyone annoying in my life. It's totally juvenile, but it makes me feel a little better to use this type of humor and cheer me up. :D

- Watch funny videos on Youtube

-Watch cute little animals on Youtube

- Watch the cooking channel and make whatever you liked on it.Treat yourself!

- Meditate

-Exercise

-Find a new hobby

-Do a project of some sort.Whether it be art or home improvement.

-Go to a spa

-Watch a sunset

-Garden some houseplants

-Make a bird feeder by spreading peanut butter on a pine cone,and then dipping it in birdseed

-Watch all the little birds enjoy said treat

-try some odd foreign food

You need to make the effort to do something when you're feeling down to distract yourself. =)

I'm going through the exact same thing as you. I have been clear for a couple of years after having a phase of really bad acne. I though I was in the clear (so to speak) lol but Sunday I woke up with like a face full of red swollen spots. I freaked and picked the f out of them then finally went to a walk in clinic to get some antibiotics. After that I stayed I'm my house for 2 days straight. I missed a day of school and alot of $ from 2 days of work. I felt so guilty but I couldn't bring myself to leave the house. To keep myself busy and away from the mirror I have been going to work and school the last few days, not easy:/ some things that have helped take my mind off my skin are

-going shopping for healthy food/vitamins. For some reason it helps me feel like on doing at least something good for my skin

-get a relaxing pedicure or massage

-have a movie night

-go for a nice lunch with a friend. Something simple. Things like that make me feel re connected with people without being uncomfortable

-I love to disappear to nearby places I've never been before and explore the shops and stuff.

Honestly the thing that happens to clear my face up the most and not think about it is to be busy. After a day of school then work after I have no time to spend in front of a mirror and my face usually looks much better by the end of the day. Hope this helps!

When I'm feeling really down about acne, I try to feel confident in other ways.. I work extra-hard on making my eye makeup perfect, I wear those clothes I feel my best in, make sure my hair looks extra shiney and smooth, whiten my teeth, workout, etc. I just try to improve on aspects of myself that I actually have the power to change so those new changes will be noticed instead of the acne.

Try just smiling a lot more than usual. It feels unnatural and wrong when you are actually upset... but it's kind of a fake it till you make it mentality. It can really cheer you up.

I'd also make sure that you find at least one person that you trust with whom you can be honest about what's upsetting you. I remember bottling it up so much because it didn't seem like anyone would understand, but the few people who I told the truth to and gave me support made a world of difference. :)

Don't worry, you'll get through it. I went through the same thing as you and I got rid of it. Staying positive is hardest, but the most important part.

thank you so much for all of your tips guys!

I finally opened up again to my mom tonight, this time I told her to hear me out first before jumping to conclusions or doing her usual of crying herself, and she actually listened to me!

It came as such a shock to me because I was expecting another failed attempt at venting, but she listened to every single thing I said and we both agreed on what I needed to do.

I'm gonna drop the last few classes that I was taking this semester, only the second week of classes so no big deal in dropping them, not because I wanna run away from people seeing me and my acne! Even though it will help with that lol, but because I don't need the added on stress from the classes to make my acne any worse. Especially since doing badly this semester is gonna screw up my gpa and my deans list streak.

And I'm going to try my best to just go out with my friends and laugh and enjoy life as much as possible, because I know at this point, my acne could be much worse, and I'm SO glad it isn't, so the only way to get better is to push myself to do things that my acne is holding me back from.

NO MORE ACNE FROM NOW ON :hifive:

Edited by obliviousxsmile

I used to really let acne get to me, but more and more lately I've been realizing how amazing I have it, and had it. Even when I had cystic acne, life could have been so much worse. I have a roof over my head, amazing friends, great family, amazing affordable education, and I'm so healthy. I just started to realize how petty it was of me to be upset over acne and then try and call myself an appreciative person. I don't have any real disabilities, have people that love me, food, there's just so much. I've also had the chance to work and be around disabled children, and honestly it's the one thing that can make me cry consistently and heavily, I guess out of frustration and wanting to be able to help them more than just taking care of them. I know that's straying from acne itself, but I'd hate myself if the day ever came where I'd let acne make me depressed and down, because in reality it wasn't all that bad.