Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ashlynn

Tanning and the regimen

Hey everyone! My sister is getting married and I want to look good (not better than her, of course) but I want to start tanning. I know that when you are on the regimen it makes you more sensitive to the sun and to burning but has anyone gone tanning while on the regimen? What are things I should do? I want my face to be tan so if I put SPF on it, doesn't that defeat the purpose?! Please let me know. Thanks!!

I want my face to be tan so if I put SPF on it, doesn't that defeat the purpose?! Please let me know. Thanks!!

Ahh, this is such a bad thing to believe regarding tanning! Putting on sunscreen doesn't mean you won't get tan. It just spreads out the sun's effects over a longer period of time.

Think of it like putting your thumb over the end of a hose--less water is coming out, but you have more control over it. Using sunscreen gives you the option of requiring 2 hours before you burn instead of half an hour (just a random example). But you should always, always wear some form of sunscreen to protect your skin.

That being said, sunless tanner is the way to go. A lot of sun can be harsh on acne prone skin.

The sun is good and bad for you. The sun does provide vitamin d which helps the skin out. However, a lot of sun or tanning isn't healthy either. From my own experience, when I used to go tanning I would clear up and my red marks would disappear as well. Afterwards, within a month or so, I would start breaking out like crazy. My cousin was a body builder and he used to go tanning as well, and he would break out on his cheeks... Some people don't have this problem though, either way to much tanning isn't healthy at all. Hows your skin right now after being on the regimen? Is it pretty clear and are you happy with it (acne wise) ?Are you willing to take the risk?How long have you been on DKR for? From my personal experience I wouldn't.. And by the way if thats you on that pic, you look very cute, I wouldn't worry about it :surprised:

Also if you really wanted that "tan" look, like Brandy mentioned, they make tanning creams and lotions that are non comedogenic which won't clog pores and cause break outs. I would go for that route then. Or depending how much sun you get (prob not much in NY at this time) I would spend 10-20 mins max a day.

Edited by 1991Z28CAMARO

The sun is good and bad for you. The sun does provide vitamin d which helps the skin out. However, a lot of sun or tanning isn't healthy either. From my own experience, when I used to go tanning I would clear up and my red marks would disappear as well. Afterwards, within a month or so, I would start breaking out like crazy. My cousin was a body builder and he used to go tanning as well, and he would break out on his cheeks... Some people don't have this problem though, either way to much tanning isn't healthy at all. Hows your skin right now after being on the regimen? Is it pretty clear and are you happy with it (acne wise) ?Are you willing to take the risk?How long have you been on DKR for? From my personal experience I wouldn't.. And by the way if thats you on that pic, you look very cute, I wouldn't worry about it :surprised:

Also if you really wanted that "tan" look, like Brandy mentioned, they make tanning creams and lotions that are non comedogenic which won't clog pores and cause break outs. I would go for that route then. Or depending how much sun you get (prob not much in NY at this time) I would spend 10-20 mins max a day.

Thank-you for the advice and for calling me cute :) I have been on the regimen for 7 weeks and things have been pretty good. My skin is clearer than when I started and I have a lot less breakouts. I am definitely not completely clear by any means (but then again it has only been 7 weeks) but I have noticed a difference. And when I do happen to have a couple breakouts they are small and go away faster than they used to. My skin feels cleaner, too so that is good. I have tanned in the past when I wasn't using a regimen and it actually made my skin look a lot better. It didn't make me break out and it took the redness out of my face. That is actually part of why I want to tan as well. I want to be tan for the wedding and I also want my skin to look good so I thought of tanning. I could use the creams or spray tan but like I said, I was hoping using a tanning bed would help my skin. But if my skin continues to clear then by the wedding I won't have anything to worry about. Other than looking pale! Thanks again!

I want my face to be tan so if I put SPF on it, doesn't that defeat the purpose?! Please let me know. Thanks!!

Ahh, this is such a bad thing to believe regarding tanning! Putting on sunscreen doesn't mean you won't get tan. It just spreads out the sun's effects over a longer period of time.

Think of it like putting your thumb over the end of a hose--less water is coming out, but you have more control over it. Using sunscreen gives you the option of requiring 2 hours before you burn instead of half an hour (just a random example). But you should always, always wear some form of sunscreen to protect your skin.

That being said, sunless tanner is the way to go. A lot of sun can be harsh on acne prone skin.

Thanks for the analogy. I really never thought of it that way. I have never used sunscreen. I mean probably when I was a little kid but ever since I was old enough to know I wanted a tan, I have never had to use it so I really didn't know how much it really works or what not.

So you have been on the regimen for a good amount of time (almost 2 months). So your skin is pretty much adapted to the products that you are using. When is the wedding? I would most deff encourage you to keep up with the regimen and when your pimples disappear a lot quicker that means its working. Sure you will have some red marks but those will go away within a short period of time (try some vitamin e supplement it does help the skin heal a bit quicker because BP does slow down the healing process) or maybe you could try AHA which will help moisturize your skin and fade red marks at the same time (you can start using AHA because you have been on the regimen for a long time). I would keep up with DKR and before the wedding you can go a couple of times and see how it goes. If the wedding is in the fall then try doing it sometime soon so you can see how your skin reacts so you have an idea. You wouldn't want to go tanning right before the wedding without knowing it mite break you out. But from your own experience it seems you might be fine, its hard to say tho because you never went tanning during the regimen... I would try it out before wedding and see how it goes. If you do end up breaking out then atleast it will give you time to clear up. I am sure you would rather be clear and pale then having break outs and have tan look. Make sure you dont over do it and research on a good quality spf sunscreen that wont break you out. Most of those lotions they sell at the tanning spa will deff cause problems. And by the way your a Yankees fan... blah.. :rolleyes:

Just kidding! Take care.

- Nick

Edited by 1991Z28CAMARO

So you have been on the regimen for a good amount of time (almost 2 months). So your skin is pretty much adapted to the products that you are using. When is the wedding? I would most deff encourage you to keep up with the regimen and when your pimples disappear a lot quicker that means its working. Sure you will have some red marks but those will go away within a short period of time (try some vitamin e supplement it does help the skin heal a bit quicker because BP does slow down the healing process) or maybe you could try AHA which will help moisturize your skin and fade red marks at the same time (you can start using AHA because you have been on the regimen for a long time). I would keep up with DKR and before the wedding you can go a couple of times and see how it goes. If the wedding is in the fall then try doing it sometime soon so you can see how your skin reacts so you have an idea. You wouldn't want to go tanning right before the wedding without knowing it mite break you out. But from your own experience it seems you might be fine, its hard to say tho because you never went tanning during the regimen... I would try it out before wedding and see how it goes. If you do end up breaking out then atleast it will give you time to clear up. I am sure you would rather be clear and pale then having break outs and have tan look. Make sure you dont over do it and research on a good quality spf sunscreen that wont break you out. Most of those lotions they sell at the tanning spa will deff cause problems. And by the way your a Yankees fan... blah.. :rolleyes:

Just kidding! Take care.

- Nick

Hahaha first things first - the Yankees are badass. Anyway! The wedding is in the beginning of September thankfully so I do have some time to go tanning and see how my skin reacts. Although since it is still considered summer, I plan to still have my summer glow and won't need the tanning bed! But we will see how much time I spend outside this year. Last year I was more interested in blasting the air conditioning than going outside and getting a tan. I don't know how I feel about using AHA. I have read a lot of reviews about people saying it causes them to break out and now that I am seeing improvements, I am really nervous about incorperating anything else in to my regimen. But then again with any product there are going to be negative reviews. I tend to go off the negative responses than the positive. I know everyone is different and will react differently but when there is a mass amount of people saying it didn't work for them, I kind of get turned off by it. Maybe in a couple weeks when I need to reorder my regimen products I will consider adding AHA to it. I have considered vitamin E. I used to have to use it when I was in gymnastics and got nasty rips on my hands from the bars and it worked really well on those so we will see. Thanks again for all the advice!

Cool so you have plenty of time then! Good point that you mention about the summer time, so you may not need to go tanning because you will become naturally darker due to the sun (you don't want to look like the guy from The Hangover movie with his tan when he got married lol).. Still need to find a good sunscreen, I am going to Mexico next month and a little nervous about finding a good SPF sunblock lotion... I might have to post that up sometime soon and see what others suggest.

And by the way, congrats for your sister ! :dance:

Edited by 1991Z28CAMARO

Cool so you have plenty of time then! Good point that you mention about the summer time, so you may not need to go tanning because you will become naturally darker due to the sun (you don't want to look like the guy from The Hangover movie with his tan when he got married lol).. Still need to find a good sunscreen, I am going to Mexico next month and a little nervous about finding a good SPF sunblock lotion... I might have to post that up sometime soon and see what others suggest.

And by the way, congrats for your sister ! :dance:

Thanks!! I will have to follow up with you to see what you end up using because I will want to use some over the summer probably. And have fun in Mexico! My best friend went last year and she said it was amazing!